The 2019 Season

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: The 2019 Season

Post by Ginge »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:09 am See the BBC article about the PDC cracking china yesterday basically called the BDO worlds the "lesser, Amateur world championship". This is the major problem the BDO has now, nobody takes then seriously as a major competitor.

They would probably get a ton more publicity and sponsorship if they just went full "we are the amateur, 2nd tier world championship" instead we are going to see every bookie on twitter do some kind of "thud, thud, thud 26 - its time for the BDO world championship" joke.
Whilst your point is full of merit, BBC Sport do have previous for behaving like a spurned lover when talking about stuff they used to have the broadcast rights for but don't any longer.
I recall BBC racing correspondent Cornelius Lysaught producing a piece the day after the 2012 grand national effectively calling for it's abolition. Total coincidence that 2012 was the last time it was shown on BBC 1 before moving to Channel 4 in 2013, I'm sure.
All fair points but the BBC lost the rights to the race as Channel 4 outbid them. I doubt the same was true of Lakeside and they are miffed about it as it wasn't for another 6 months until Channel 4 was announced.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Dannyboy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:49 pm
oche balboa wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:48 pm Danny boy must be on commission
LOL you probably can't see the irony of this statement.

#WarrenBrown
Well this will get Bradders on your side if nothing else
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:
Dannyboy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:49 pm
oche balboa wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:48 pm Danny boy must be on commission
LOL you probably can't see the irony of this statement.

#WarrenBrown
Yes, I originally fell for it hook line and sinker
Aye.
Big Jock Knew
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:35 pm
The Jolly Man wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:24 am
Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:05 am
The Jolly Man wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:57 am
Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:57 pm
Could definitely see the BDO contingent reduced (don't think it'll be abolished completely though perhaps it should be). I'd like all TV finalists/tour winners to get in, plus international qualifiers, and then a tour card qualifier as a last resort if, they haven't filled up the numbers, but that seems pretty unlikely unfortunately
I’d have the winner of the North American Champs, Oceanic Master, Create an Asian Champs for top 32 from PDC Asia and then maybe a tournament for European Only players. Each one of those goes to the GSOD. Where they currently go to the Worlds I’d have an extra spot from the regional OOM
I'd be wary of players who come through a single international qualifying event, Heaven forbid we get the Asian version of Justin Pipe job through! They have the Asian Tour now so that would be ideal. A South African qualifier like they used to have would be great too, if only to see Dancing Devon again!
To me the GSOD is about winning a single event. The qualification is all to do with winning an event. The likelihood would be the Asian player would be one of the players that went to the Worlds. The NA qualifier on my basis would have been Jeff Smith. The Oceanic qualifier would have been James Bailey but the likes of Anderson, Harris and Cadby could enter.
I guess, but at least with the ProTour, you know you're getting a quality player winning each floor event, international events are a bit more inconsistent
Which is why the International players would come from the 8 BDO players. I agree on the pro tour winners getting in and think 4 spaces from the qualifier should be made available.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:57 pm
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:09 am See the BBC article about the PDC cracking china yesterday basically called the BDO worlds the "lesser, Amateur world championship". This is the major problem the BDO has now, nobody takes then seriously as a major competitor.

They would probably get a ton more publicity and sponsorship if they just went full "we are the amateur, 2nd tier world championship" instead we are going to see every bookie on twitter do some kind of "thud, thud, thud 26 - its time for the BDO world championship" joke.
Whilst your point is full of merit, BBC Sport do have previous for behaving like a spurned lover when talking about stuff they used to have the broadcast rights for but don't any longer.
I recall BBC racing correspondent Cornelius Lysaught producing a piece the day after the 2012 grand national effectively calling for it's abolition. Total coincidence that 2012 was the last time it was shown on BBC 1 before moving to Channel 4 in 2013, I'm sure.
All fair points but the BBC lost the rights to the race as Channel 4 outbid them. I doubt the same was true of Lakeside and they are miffed about it as it wasn't for another 6 months until Channel 4 was announced.
Yes, it's absolutely a different scenario in that regard.
However, I know a couple of people who work for the BBC, and they've told me there are plenty of folk at the Beeb, especially the older guard, who still cling to the ludicrous fantasy that the BBC is the gold standard in all forms of broadcasting. For them, literally anything not broadcast by the BBC (but rather shown by someone else) is there to be sneered at.
My point was that given the only darts the BBC show now is a 2 day PDC exbo, it's naive to think they'll treat Lakeside with the reverence they once did.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

However, I know a couple of people who work for the BBC, and they've told me there are plenty of folk at the Beeb, especially the older guard, who still cling to the ludicrous fantasy that the BBC is the gold standard in all forms of broadcasting. For them, literally anything not broadcast by the BBC (but rather shown by someone else) is there to be sneered at.
My point was that given the only darts the BBC show now is a 2 day PDC exbo, it's naive to think they'll treat Lakeside with the reverence they once did.
Tbf they are probably the only major news outlet that give it full coverage and they do a live text feed like they give the pdc final so it’s not like they sneer at it

They are just being honest, it’s a second tier competition now and the only people that think otherwise are the people that are close to the event
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 am
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

Tbf they are probably the only major news outlet that give it full coverage and they do a live text feed like they give the pdc final so it’s not like they sneer at it

They are just being honest, it’s a second tier competition now and the only people that think otherwise are the people that are close to the event
Of course it's the second tier World Championship. No-one who follows the sport would argue otherwise (except the usual suspects, formerly of this parish). But when Lakeside was on the BBC, you'd be forgiven for thinking the PDC didn't exist if all you had to go on was the BBC coverage. Tony Green was never going to acknowledge it, that's for sure.
When the coverage switched to Channel 4 and BT Sport, they at least didn't try to hide the fact that what they were showing was the "other" world championships.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

A load of gumph posted on this page.....so many taken in by the glitzy production letting it distort their perceptions of real darts.....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 amBut when Lakeside was on the BBC, you'd be forgiven for thinking the PDC didn't exist if all you had to go on was the BBC coverage. Tony Green was never going to acknowledge it, that's for sure.

That's just not true, it was mentioned loads of times by Tony Green (talking about players, Phil Taylor, etc). I even remember when John Part was still commentating the BBC talked to Part with the PDC world championship trophy!
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

Indeed - there's a match on Youtube where Tony Green actually congratulates John Part during commentary on winning the 2003 Worlds.

There's also a couple of matches where Phil Taylor is co-commentator - he wasn't too bad at it either.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

Si Robin wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:05 pm Indeed - there's a match on Youtube where Tony Green actually congratulates John Part during commentary on winning the 2003 Worlds.

There's also a couple of matches where Phil Taylor is co-commentator - he wasn't too bad at it either.
Interesting, I always watched the PDC Worlds over the Lakeside, and I'm quite young so don't remember too much pre-2007ish, but I thought Taylor hated the BDO with a passion? Must admit I thought Taylor would be unbearable on comms at the Matchplay, but he wasn't too bad, rather him than Gulliver!
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

Here it is, from the 2001 quarter final -