Will there be a darts boom in Japan after Mikuru Suzuki win today?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Will there be a darts boom in Japan after Mikuru Suzuki win today?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 33

ChrisW
International

Re: Will there be a darts boom in Japan after Mikuru Suzuki win today?

Post by ChrisW »

Oche Balbao wrote: Zeyes will not be happy until the women's game is dead in Japan
:grin:
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Zeyes wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 am If anyone was wondering, only the barest of coverage of "sports superstar" (Nicholson) Suzuki's world championship victory in the big Japanese sports newspapers.

Sports Hochi - two tiny paragraphs
Chunichi Sports - nothing
Daily Sports - nothing
Nikkan Sports - nothing
Sankei Sports - nothing
Sports Nippon - nothing

Not even Jiji Press Agency has bothered, and they're not above putting out blurbs for highly relevant stuff such as Japanese footballers in the Premier League getting substituted into the game in minute 87.
I’m currently in the Far East and on the regional news there has been nothing.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

So you’re not in Japan then Dannyboy??
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

DavidB wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:15 pm So you’re not in Japan then Dannyboy??
I’m not far but there is an Asian news channel which is based out of Tokyo and has a bit of a Japanese bias.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

DavidB seething about the lack of impact of this event like you wouldn't believe.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Zeyes wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 pm DavidB seething about the lack of impact of this event like you wouldn't believe.
Oh its believable.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

MancheStar wrote:A lot of talk off the pundits of Suzuki being a big star in japan and the BDO should take the world trophy over to Japan.
Sorry, i retract my previous statement, actually this last sentence is the funniest thing I have read all week.

Come on now!
Big Jock Knew
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

Zeyes wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 am If anyone was wondering, only the barest of coverage of "sports superstar" (Nicholson) Suzuki's world championship victory in the big Japanese sports newspapers.

Daily Sports - nothing
Nikkan Sports - nothing
Sankei Sports - nothing
Sports Nippon - nothing

Not even Jiji Press Agency has bothered, and they're not above putting out blurbs for highly relevant stuff such as Japanese footballers in the Premier League getting substituted into the game in minute 87.
While you're at it, how much do they talk about Asada or any other male Japanese player?
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Ginge wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm
MancheStar wrote:A lot of talk off the pundits of Suzuki being a big star in japan and the BDO should take the world trophy over to Japan.
Sorry, i retract my previous statement, actually this last sentence is the funniest thing I have read all week.

Come on now!
Might as well have been in Japan. At least the people, besides the players, who attended would have got a holiday out of it. And they'd have all fit on one charter flight.

Actually, thinking about it, one flight would have fit the officials and players as well.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 pm While you're at it, how much do they talk about Asada or any other male Japanese player?
From what I recall the Japanese players tend to get a mention or two in the big national papers when they appear in the PDC's World Cup or at Ally Pally, though it's really barebones stuff that doesn't really do more than inform that "this is happening right now". Otherwise I don't believe there's much domestic darts coverage at all - the Dartslive tour used to get one-page reports for each tour weekend in one of the papers (not sure if that's still a thing), but that was because the publishing company was a co-sponsor of the tour. Dartslive's "Superdarts" annual event usually gets a bit of press, because it's pretty much the only thing in Japanese darts that's promoted as a big deal, but that's only two days out of the year of course.

Soft-tip darts might be big as a participation sport in Japan, not so much as something to be a fan or a spectator of. Much like BDO darts, the vast majority of the people who are paying attention to it are those who are playing it themselves.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

For what it's worth I have been all over SE Asia to all the main BIG countries there more than once and have on my travels only ever seen 1 softtip board in a locals Bar in Hong Kong and outside of expat places I have never seen a 'proper' normal dartboard. However I haven't seen many places local or expat that didn't have a pool table.

So if you are going to crack the Asian market you need slightly more to work with than some lady who noone has ever heard of who has won a title noone has ever heard of or cares about to do it.

The fact that even within the UK for example that any lady who has been ladies world champion is virtually faceless and unknown to the general public shows that the BDO have zero idea how to raise the profile of anyone to any significant level and anyone who thinks this is going to change with the woeful Jackchins at the helm then you are sadly mistaken.

Has anyone considered that the PD|C might be waiting to announce something else for SE Asia rather than hold a few WSOD of events there as they have in the past ?
Vriezzer
Pub Champion

Post by Vriezzer »

I could, but probably mainly boost softtip.
To survive, is to be victorious!
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

el_ringo wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:46 pm The fact that even within the UK for example that any lady who has been ladies world champion is virtually faceless and unknown to the general public
Lucky the PDC didn't try and use a 10 times ladies world champion to emphasise the inclusion of the ladies into their World Championship,
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Dannyboy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:05 pm

Daily Sports - nothing
Nikkan Sports - nothing
Sankei Sports - nothing
Sports Nippon - nothing

I’m currently in the Far East and on the regional news there has been nothing.
No No No, this must not be true, Mason and Nicholson are "experts".
The claimed that "millions were watching in asia"....yes a re use of the rout spiel
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:51 pm Lucky the PDC didn't try and use a 10 times ladies world champion to emphasise the inclusion of the ladies into their World Championship,
And look how well that went and all that now proves is that a casual fan who was watching sky sports might now know her as the lady who commentated this year on some ladies games not as a 10 times champion of some tournament they have never seen or heard of.

Here's another example given that the sport has had far more main stream coverage recently of a much higher profile than ladies darts who is the captain of the England ladies netball team ?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I asked on the wc thread was it overhyped the impact of this victory.

good to read some balanced comments.

Adams did say this could turn around the bdo fortunes, not just the ladies!

Nicholson was buzzing and may have got over excited.

Over on fanatics (or general fb ) Tony m hinting something may be afoot re Japan.

reckon the pdc will steal a March on the bdo. A stand alone ladies event with 50% from Japan and 50% from the established stars a possibility?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

MancheStar wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:27 pm Bet the BDO are gutted they didn’t arrange the annual men’s Asian qualifier now.
Wasn’t there problem to begin with
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Zeyes wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 pm DavidB seething about the lack of impact of this event like you wouldn't believe.

Not seething but I’ll listen to experts rather than you, thanks!
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

DavidB wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Not seething but I’ll listen to experts rather than you, thanks!
What expert ?
Do you mean chris mason who said "millions were watching in asia"....what did he base this on ?
Routs old spiel ?
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

DavidB wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:04 pm Not seething but I’ll listen to experts rather than you, thanks!
That's your problem in a nutshell. 8-) Too gullible and clueless to recognize "expert" BS for what it is. But then, you've pretty much made a forum career out of it, so don't be stopping now.