Des Jacklin statement

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Re: Des Jacklin statement

Post by SolidSCB »

That's 997 more than the BDO know how to spell, for anyone counting.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm Behold...

ImageImage

Who seriously thought this was a good idea? :grin:

Was the cut-out in the bottom right originally there or have you done that??
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:47 pm
Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm
SolidSCB wrote:Sorry, but the absolute worst area of the BDO is in their public outreach/social media side of things.

Yeah, they might produce a lot of content and publish it through their various channels, but it matters not a jot when the content in question comes across as unprofessional and poorly designed as the BDO's stuff.

CONSTANT gramatical errors, basic design flaws such as poor alignment of text/images, publishing photographs of players that have either been photoshopped by a 10-year old, stretched out of proportion like you're trying to watch a widescreen film on an old CRT TV or just of a pathetic potato quality.

That isn't to mention the amount of errors you see with match times, scorelines etc. You know, information that is actually very important to the audience you're trying to capture. Clearly proof read by absolutely no-one before being published.

The worst part of this is, there are absolutely loads of really talented people who would absolutely love the chance to get to do this stuff with the exposure on offer. I'm talking students who know how to produce a professional social media post, a press release or a graphic who would do it for a pittance or even just to be able to chuck it into their portfolio for future employers. Christ, as a graphic designer myself I would love the opportunity to produce their stuff and do it proper justice given how many people will see it.

But no, they will continue to keep it all within their little circle. Letting whoever has the least limited skills have a crack at it and just throw it on without a care in the world and continue to look Mickey Mouse, and then wonder why everyone laughs at them.
One of my favourite ones of recent times was the last WDT when they clearly didn't have pictures of all the players but thought "hey, sod it, lets throw some stuff out anyway".

Behold...

ImageImage

Was the original cut-out in the bottom right there or have you done that??
My phone has saved them as different sizes for some reason, dunno whats happened there. But no, the idea was to have one player each side of the writing in the middle, all the other ones are like that. For these two they clearly couldnt find a pic of Bulmer and Worsley so they thought "fek it, lets put it on Twitter anyway" :)
Big Jock Knew
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

Should have just done what they do for people they don't like and Facebook stalked them for their pictures.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

SolidSCB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:52 pm Should have just done what they do for people they don't like and Facebook stalked them for their pictures.
:DDD:
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote: Behold...

ImageImage

DavidB wrote: Was the cut-out in the bottom right originally there or have you done that??
Ginge wrote: My phone has saved them as different sizes for some reason, dunno whats happened there. But no, the idea was to have one player each side of the writing in the middle, all the other ones are like that. For these two they clearly couldnt find a pic of Bulmer and Worsley so they thought "fek it, lets put it on Twitter anyway" :)

Ah got ya!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

If I had cut anything out David, then the red banner at the bottom would have a bit cut out as well. Think about it.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 pm If I had cut anything out David, then the red banner at the bottom would have a bit cut out as well. Think about it.

It was the way the images appeared as one hence the question :grin:

A space between would have been helpful!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 pm
Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 pm If I had cut anything out David, then the red banner at the bottom would have a bit cut out as well. Think about it.

I agree but Tapatalk just dumps them on the forum in one blob.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:15 pm
DavidB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 pm

I agree but Tapatalk just dumps them on the forum in one blob.

Yeah no worries, looking again I see they're two images but it looked like one with a bit cut out hence why I asked if it was posted during the tournament like that!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Ha, they still have it up :D

Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Can’t wait till feb and see what Des comes up with

Any guesses
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

More head-bobbing-above-water desperation I would imagine.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

oche balboa wrote:Can’t wait till feb and see what Des comes up with

Any guesses
Absolutely nothing

Like when he said he had meetings already lined up with big European sponsors in his election speech in August
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 pm Can’t wait till feb and see what Des comes up with

Any guesses
Venues for the TV events, he has already said.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

If the grammar and spelling is the only thing you lot can moan about it looks like Desmond has done a spliffing good job........
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

It's a good job he doesn't design websites, I suppose.
Big Jock Knew
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

Yeah, I mean lets ignore the fact that virtually every organisation out there actually go to the trouble of proof reading their stuff before publishing it.

Because that doesn't matter to a professional organisation.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

On the face of it the ladies prize fund does need raising...but the fact is there are so few players playing the circuit that supply and demand means it should be way lower than the men's...and a far bigger issue for me would be looking to raise the prize find of the early round of the men's event....every round outside the final to be honest....it's that that needs looking at first...
My wife was surprised at the low first prize of the ladies event but she was even more surprised that the ladies didn't compete for the men's prize...she actually thought it fine when I said they could try on the PDC Tour but not on the BDO Tour...she knows nothing about darts though ...but her view is that the tour should be for both sexes to compete for due to no strength or physicality being involved..
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

trotter01 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:16 pm On the face of it the ladies prize fund does need raising...but the fact is there are so few players playing the circuit that supply and demand means it should be way lower than the men's...and a far bigger issue for me would be looking to raise the prize find of the early round of the men's event....every round outside the final to be honest....it's that that needs looking at first...
My wife was surprised at the low first prize of the ladies event but she was even more surprised that the ladies didn't compete for the men's prize...she actually thought it fine when I said they could try on the PDC Tour but not on the BDO Tour...she knows nothing about darts though ...but her view is that the tour should be for both sexes to compete for due to no strength or physicality being involved..
In that scenario ladies darts dies
UKDA 4 Life