Des Jacklin statement

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
markymark
County Player

Re: Des Jacklin statement

Post by markymark »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:04 am They did do a hell of a lot of Tweets and FB posts on their own accounts, more than usual. But thats about it.

But I guess if a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?
The did do more on social media, but also littered with silly errors.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

markymark wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:51 am
Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:04 am They did do a hell of a lot of Tweets and FB posts on their own accounts, more than usual. But thats about it.

But I guess if a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?
The did do more on social media, but also littered with silly errors.
"Ill be watching"

"Durrent"
Big Jock Knew
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

Sorry, but the absolute worst area of the BDO is in their public outreach/social media side of things.

Yeah, they might produce a lot of content and publish it through their various channels, but it matters not a jot when the content in question comes across as unprofessional and poorly designed as the BDO's stuff.

CONSTANT gramatical errors, basic design flaws such as poor alignment of text/images, publishing photographs of players that have either been photoshopped by a 10-year old, stretched out of proportion like you're trying to watch a widescreen film on an old CRT TV or just of a pathetic potato quality.

That isn't to mention the amount of errors you see with match times, scorelines etc. You know, information that is actually very important to the audience you're trying to capture. Clearly proof read by absolutely no-one before being published.

The worst part of this is, there are absolutely loads of really talented people who would absolutely love the chance to get to do this stuff with the exposure on offer. I'm talking students who know how to produce a professional social media post, a press release or a graphic who would do it for a pittance or even just to be able to chuck it into their portfolio for future employers. Christ, as a graphic designer myself I would love the opportunity to produce their stuff and do it proper justice given how many people will see it.

But no, they will continue to keep it all within their little circle. Letting whoever has the least limited skills have a crack at it and just throw it on without a care in the world and continue to look Mickey Mouse, and then wonder why everyone laughs at them.
Lurgan
Superleague Player

Post by Lurgan »

Excellent statement from the Chairperson

Communication with members and players has improved beyond recognition and this must be welcomed
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

SolidSCB wrote:Sorry, but the absolute worst area of the BDO is in their public outreach/social media side of things.

Yeah, they might produce a lot of content and publish it through their various channels, but it matters not a jot when the content in question comes across as unprofessional and poorly designed as the BDO's stuff.

CONSTANT gramatical errors, basic design flaws such as poor alignment of text/images, publishing photographs of players that have either been photoshopped by a 10-year old, stretched out of proportion like you're trying to watch a widescreen film on an old CRT TV or just of a pathetic potato quality.

That isn't to mention the amount of errors you see with match times, scorelines etc. You know, information that is actually very important to the audience you're trying to capture. Clearly proof read by absolutely no-one before being published.

The worst part of this is, there are absolutely loads of really talented people who would absolutely love the chance to get to do this stuff with the exposure on offer. I'm talking students who know how to produce a professional social media post, a press release or a graphic who would do it for a pittance or even just to be able to chuck it into their portfolio for future employers. Christ, as a graphic designer myself I would love the opportunity to produce their stuff and do it proper justice given how many people will see it.

But no, they will continue to keep it all within their little circle. Letting whoever has the least limited skills have a crack at it and just throw it on without a care in the world and continue to look Mickey Mouse, and then wonder why everyone laughs at them.
One of my favourite ones of recent times was the last WDT when they clearly didn't have pictures of all the players but thought "hey, sod it, lets throw some stuff out anyway".

Behold...

ImageImage

Who seriously thought this was a good idea? :grin:
Big Jock Knew
Lurgan
Superleague Player

Post by Lurgan »

wats wrong with it?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Lurgan wrote:wats wrong with it?
Stop it :D
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

That's bloody brilliant for bdo standards.
Lurgan
Superleague Player

Post by Lurgan »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:51 pm
its clearly images of the top ranked players in each encounter
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Lurgan wrote:
Ginge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:51 pm
its clearly images of the top ranked players in each encounter
Nice try, all the others had both players pictured either side. But you know this, and I have now bitten. Hnnnnnggggg!
Big Jock Knew
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Keep up the good work, Des
UKDA 4 Life
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

Heh, that's shocking, and as has been said that's actually one of their better efforts.

Exactly my point though, it's quality not quantity. It's like that programme from a few months ago for the Masters or whatever that had Des and some other random bloke on the front. Yeah, that's funny in itself but then you open it up and even the basic stuff about the players is completely incorrect or spelled horrendously. I do work for businesses that use content that is seen by an absolute fraction of the BDO's reach and not in a million years would they sign any of that rubbish off.

If you're actively trying to get away from the ridicule and the jokes, make moves to actually stop being one. How can they be respected and taken seriously when they can't even respect themselves?
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

SolidSCB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 pm Heh, that's shocking, and as has been said that's actually one of their better efforts.

Exactly my point though, it's quality not quantity. It's like that programme from a few months ago for the Masters or whatever that had Des and some other random bloke on the front. Yeah, that's funny in itself but then you open it up and even the basic stuff about the players is completely incorrect or spelled horrendously. I do work for businesses that use content that is seen by an absolute fraction of the BDO's reach and not in a million years would they sign any of that rubbish off.
Nah, it's perfectly fine if their MC gets referred to as Ricgard Ashowdown rather than his actual name. In a family like the BDO, who would be upset by an honest mistake like that?
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

I suppose when it's down to someone mashing a keyboard with webbed hands you get what you're given.
mshaw2
Superleague Player

Post by mshaw2 »

SolidSCB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 pm Sorry, but the absolute worst area of the BDO is in their public outreach/social media side of things.

That's quite a lot of words just to tell everyone you're a Graphic Designer.
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

If you're reading this Des, sign me up. I can spel
mshaw2
Superleague Player

Post by mshaw2 »

Zeyes wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Nah, it's perfectly fine if their MC gets referred to as Ricgard Ashowdown rather than his actual name. In a family like the BDO, who would be upset by an honest mistake like that?
The G is next to the H, and the ow is just repeated twice. Easy mistake to make.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

SolidSCB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:25 pm If you're reading this Des, sign me up. I can spel
Are you any good at slapping people?
Big Jock Knew
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

Dunno about that, but I've got an NVQ in threatening people from behind a screen.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

mshaw2 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm
SolidSCB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 pm Sorry, but the absolute worst area of the BDO is in their public outreach/social media side of things.

That's quite a lot of words just to tell everyone you're a Graphic Designer.
He only does pictures if he's paid, so he had to use a thousand words instead.