How much prize money would you say the women’s world champion should receive?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

How much prize money would you say the women’s world champion should receive?

5%
No votes
No votes
2%
No votes
9%
5%
28%
33%
19%

Total votes: 43

BlueSpark
International

Re: How much prize money would you say the women’s world champion should receive?

Post by BlueSpark »

I have to convince the people around me that aren’t happy for this to happen that it is the right thing to do, and then I have to convince the people with the purse strings that this has got to happen.
‘But I don’t have any worries in saying that the ladies’ prize money is going up, I know how much it’s going up by and I think that most people will be shocked by how much.

Er, so you have already convinced them then, Des?
Ginge
International

Re: How much prize money would you say the women’s world champion should receive?

Post by Ginge »

These anonymous sponsors who are staying secret.
Big Jock Knew
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

Basically, they will increase the winner's prize to 20k.

and the other 15 participants will still be lucky to cobble together enough for a chippy tea between them.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

The prizes for winner and runner up could be slightly higher. It is the pitiful amounts for the other positions that is laughable.
It is an inherent problem throughout the tour.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

‘If that means making the day an hour longer, if that means I have to get in my car and go and tell the head of Eurosport why that has to happen, then so be it.’

I know off topic re ladies cash but here des talking about extending the format for ladies darts. he seems quite a confident guy who is determined to make things better for the bdo
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

He wouldnt give a shit if he didnt have someone at home constantly in his ear about it.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

BlueSpark wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:59 am The prizes for winner and runner up could be slightly higher. It is the pitiful amounts for the other positions that is laughable.
Semi-Finals in Romania for instance. 125,- Euros.
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

Lets get real here.

Des is a lucky man. The BDO and the Lakeside World Championship still carry just enough 'prestige', mainly for historical reasons, for some two-bit network like Eurosport to take a speculative punt on and chuck their events on for a bit in between skiing and tennis replays and see how it does.

In no way does he have the stroke to drive up and demand more money and screentime from Rodger Eurosport. They can look forward to the ladies being shown from the quarters/semis onwards if they want to start making their matches best of 7/9 sets, and any increase in money will almost certainly be coming out of the BDO's pocket.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

No conflict of interests here at all. No, sirree! It's a good job that Roger didnt get the job, with his conflict of interest. Or something.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:00 pm No conflict of interests here at all. No, sirree! It's a good job that Roger didnt get the job, with his conflict of interest. Or something.
She won't see any of it.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

devosteve wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 am ‘If that means making the day an hour longer, if that means I have to get in my car and go and tell the head of Eurosport why that has to happen, then so be it.’

I know off topic re ladies cash but here des talking about extending the format for ladies darts. he seems quite a confident guy who is determined to make things better for the bdo
I think the format only needs to Change semi and final best of 5 sets semi play them on sat 1 each session with men’s semi and final best of 7 sets play before the men’s

If they did that extra 90 min of tv coverage 4pm to 830 be enough and I don’t see massive increase to prize fund if they get it to 50k put money up each round not bad job

1000 2000 4000 8000 winner 18k
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

SolidSCB wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 am Basically, they will increase the winner's prize to 20k.

20k wouldn't shock people would it??
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidB wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:30 pm
SolidSCB wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 am Basically, they will increase the winner's prize to 20k.

20k wouldn't shock people would it??
Not really, way he is going on it would have to double as a bare minumum.

I'll believe it when it happens, sounds to me that hes convinced himself its a good idea but he needs to convince others first.
Big Jock Knew
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

He will fund an increase by cutting the mens prize fund. The change in rules allowed most of the men to try QS with the best ones doing well and moving to the PDC. Whats left are stuck with the BDO and will have to make do with whatever money is offered. No longer any pretence of being a rival to the PDC and no need to offer big prize funds.
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

They will cling onto the 100k first prize until their dying breath.

It's the guys breaking their leg weeks before the tournament and still turning up for a decent wedge for going out early doors that should be afraid.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I still think the priority should be increasing the prize fund for the men's outside of the final....it's still the men's event sells it to TV with the ladies as a tag on...no way would the ladies event ever be a stand alone event that TV would be interested in ...the men's finalists do ok but the rest of the prize fund is apalling and that needs sorting before they even look at the ladies fund..
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Addicks Fan wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 pm Looks like Des is serious on upping the prize money:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/24/bdo-chai ... g-8387014/

Love his comment about Eurosport - the lengths this man will go to ;-)

I reckon he must have some sponsors on board to be saying that
Men's prize money has stood still for just as long. Its almost as if he had some sort of ulterior motive for boosting the women's prize money.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ChrisW wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:46 am
BlueSpark wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:59 am The prizes for winner and runner up could be slightly higher. It is the pitiful amounts for the other positions that is laughable.
Semi-Finals in Romania for instance. 125,- Euros.
Low entries = low prize pot. Women just don't play competition darts in great numbers.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:21 pm
Addicks Fan wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 pm Looks like Des is serious on upping the prize money:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/24/bdo-chai ... g-8387014/

Love his comment about Eurosport - the lengths this man will go to ;-)

I reckon he must have some sponsors on board to be saying that
Men's prize money has stood still for just as long. Its almost as if he had some sort of ulterior motive for boosting the women's prize money.
He'll have to boost the first round money by a lot to make much difference.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Well apparently we will all be shocked just how much it is increasing.