2020 Q School

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
devosteve
International

Re: 2020 Q School

Post by devosteve »

If the consensus is that there are players who have zero chance of getting a card, who are playing for the experience alone, and these are clogging up the q school how do you dissuade them from entering?

increase fee to a £1,000?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Why on earth would you do that?
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

The cloggers aren't really the problem. None of the top players who are struggling to get a card are doing so because of the guys throwing 40-50 averages.

£1,000 is just ridiculous.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

devosteve wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:56 pm If the consensus is that there are players who have zero chance of getting a card, who are playing for the experience alone, and these are clogging up the q school how do you dissuade them from entering?

Those that are entering purely for the experience are doing absolutely no harm. £450 in the coffers, and in all fairness allowing the serious players drawn against them to ease themselves into each qualifier.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Booze And Glory
Brass Darts

Post by Booze And Glory »

devosteve wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:56 pm If the consensus is that there are players who have zero chance of getting a card, who are playing for the experience alone, and these are clogging up the q school how do you dissuade them from entering?

Maybe going back to the old format of being able to enter
the challenge tour and not have to play Q school will stop a few going, as I’m sure a fair few are playing Q school just so they can play challenge tour.
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

The "top" BDO players have been happily thinking they are the best apart from the PDC elite but have now found there are probably another 150 or so equally good ones here at QS and its all a bit of a lottery who gets a card.
We have moved on from the day when a top player just decided to switch and was a formality to get in to a point where lots of the top BDO players may fail every year for the next decade in an attempt to get a card and then not do that well in the challenger tour either. They desperately need the BDO to continue and regain some sort of credibility and decent prize funds.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

No need. They pump in money.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

MancheStar wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:47 pm
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:51 pm The 3 days or so are just proof that this doesn’t work in the current darting climate,

it works if you’ve only got one or two switchers and your limiting the number of nobody’s coming over but when the entire top of the bdo rankings are trying to get a card at the same time it’s just ridiculous to do it in this format

you can’t say in any way the best players are getting a card this week.
Got to disagree with this I think it's only this year so many big switchers that it's a lottery if the majority of the best players are already on the tour the best players should get a tour card.
Lottery KLAXON!!!!
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

If I was Hearn, or a leading pdpa figure if you so wish, I'd have lived up to his promise of streaming it and having as many different streams on as many boards as possible.

Cameras being on seems to make a difference to some peoples ability to play good darts. Those players often tend to fare better or worse on the tv than they do on the floor.

That'll help sort the wheat from the chaff somewhat.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

el_ringo wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:11 pm
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:51 pm The 3 days or so are just proof that this doesn’t work in the current darting climate,

it works if you’ve only got one or two switchers and your limiting the number of nobody’s coming over but when the entire top of the bdo rankings are trying to get a card at the same time it’s just ridiculous to do it in this format

you can’t say in any way the best players are getting a card this week.
For a comparison to disprove this about the best players if you go back to the Winmau Masters when it was presplit and everyone had to enter in the first round . How many times did an unknown win the trophy ? or reach the final ? Answer is not very often and more or less it was won by one of the bets players in the world.

Reality is lots of people find out that the BDO bubble they have nurtured their career in is of a lower standard than the masses in the PDC are throwing and if the split didn't exist they would be never heard ofs let alone major names for many years.

and perhaps most importantly lets not forget you get 4 chances of winning a card outright or via being on of the top how many players from the 4 days if you cannot get a card this way then there is no way on earth you can be considered by any one , no matter how low their intelligence is, to be a world class player future top 10 professional.
That's a good point. Before they ruined the Masters by seeding 8 players into the last 16 (2007 I think?), it wasn't like it was being won by a bunch of j0bbers. (Really guys, you censored the word "j0bbers"?)

You had Whitcombe, Lowe and Barney winning it twice. Anderson three times and Bristow five. In the early rounds you could win the match simply by winning 4 legs and as few as 6 legs in the final. Final didn't become best of 13 sets until 2002.
Double Flops
Steady Sixties

Post by Double Flops »

Maverick wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 pm Had a great day , saw some good friends and some excellent darts , would like to see Dave Ladley pick up a card tomorrow , whoever wins it will have earned it . I love what they’ve done this year with two rooms rather than cram everybody into one .
Hoping Ladders does well tmoz and gets the points needed. Not seen him for a couple of years and he deffo deserves a bit of luck as well.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Double Flops wrote:
Maverick wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:38 pm Had a great day , saw some good friends and some excellent darts , would like to see Dave Ladley pick up a card tomorrow , whoever wins it will have earned it . I love what they’ve done this year with two rooms rather than cram everybody into one .
Hoping Ladders does well tmoz and gets the points needed. Not seen him for a couple of years and he deffo deserves a bit of luck as well.
Absolutely, had a shit few years but he’s loving his darts at the minute, taken over running the weekly singles event at the local Riley’s.
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

If I knew you were there i'd have let you buy me a drink :grin: Are you there Sunday?
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

1205 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:45 pm
phil davies wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:44 pm And with that Sedlacek can take the sabbath of.
Earn tour card. Czech.
Relax. Czech.
Got to say this tickled me :DDD:
mapleleafdarts
Steady Sixties

Post by mapleleafdarts »

DavidB wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:56 pm
phil davies wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:51 pm Smith wins 5-4 thats shit. Also bean won 5-4 with a 82 avearge. All the signs of being as bad as Temple and Dootson for the next two years but lets wait and see I guess. hopefully by some miracle Asada can have another run tomoz and win a tour card instead of somebody chucking in the low 80's

Beeney can’t do any worse than the no hopers who won through the first 2 days in the UK Q School...

As for The Silencer, I’m sure our Canadian friend on here will be seething, lovely stuff! :grin:
:showbum: :canada
Demonloy
The Ton Club

Post by Demonloy »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:30 pm Q School is a complete lottery.

Put all these players on a 12 month tour and on TV and you would see a different order. Waites is a TV player. Mitchell is a top player and the best talent there, he is just not used to the leisure centre set up. Plenty of chancers and one hit wonders at this thing as well.

Really do not like anything about it.
If there was a point to anything you would miss it by a mile 🇬🇧
Demonloy
The Ton Club

Post by Demonloy »

Waites🍼
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

NvH wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:25 pm The cloggers aren't really the problem. None of the top players who are struggling to get a card are doing so because of the guys throwing 40-50 averages.

£1,000 is just ridiculous.
That said Peter Manley was critical of these players yesterday. He said that there are players who turn up to “make everyone else’s day longer”, before admitting himself that he’s going to clog up the draw himself today.
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

I may have missed this in the thread but the BBC have anarticle on Q School.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/51152261
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner