Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ILAD
International

Re: 2020 Q School

Post by ILAD »

Rout wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:22 pm
NvH wrote:
fling wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm
spaceman70 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:29 pm Fair play to Scott Waites, massive gamble not showing yesterday. Very well done.
Didn't realise he did not play Saturday and unsure how he got on during Thursday but he certainly had a late one on the Wednesday evening as he was in our hotel.
Wouldn't be a BDO player if he wasn't horsing pints.
Now that he has won his tour card, I for one am confident he will now knock the drinking on the head just like all the other tour card holders have.
And so he should, a professional darts player now.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

ILAD wrote:
NvH wrote:
spaceman70 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:29 pm Fair play to Scott Waites, massive gamble not showing yesterday. Very well done.
Didn't realise he did not play Saturday and unsure how he got on during Thursday but he certainly had a late one on the Wednesday evening as he was in our hotel.
Now that he has won his tour card, I for one am confident he will now knock the drinking on the head just like all the other tour card holders have.
Absolutely. In fact I am pretty sure that the staff at the makeshift bar they knock up that serve cans of carlsberg at something like 3 quid a pop in the leisure centres are ordered not to serve any of the players, should they have the temerity to ask.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Rout wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:29 pm
ILAD wrote:
NvH wrote:

Absolutely. In fact I am pretty sure that the staff at the makeshift bar they knock up that serve cans of carlsberg at something like 3 quid a pop in the leisure centres are ordered not to serve any of the players, should they have the temerity to ask.
At 3 quid a pop they obviously don’t want the guests to drink either.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

NvH wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:17 pm
Wouldn't be a darts player if he wasn't horsing pints
Fixed.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

NvH wrote:
Not quite the point I was making. More the fact that McLoyalty was laughing and joking, downing a few pints while cheering on his mate, not long after he'd screwed up yet another match in the worlds. You'd think he'd have looked for a rock to crawl under.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

NvH wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:05 pm
NvH wrote:
Not quite the point I was making. More the fact that McLoyalty was laughing and joking, downing a few pints while cheering on his mate, not long after he'd screwed up yet another match in the worlds. You'd think he'd have looked for a rock to crawl under.
People keep pointing out - quite correctly in my view - that the BDO is effectively the amatuer side of the game. And yet they still complain when amatuers act like amatuers. What is it to be? Some people see darts as a pastime, a hobby, a pub game to be enjoyed with their mates - and who are we to argue if that is what they want? Ross Montgomery has a game I could only dream of. A fantastic player who, in my view, could have won majors if he wanted. But - he isn't that bothered. Add him into the mix with BDO winners like Tony O'Shea, Wayne Warren, Scott Waites, Scott Mitchell. Hell, Phil Taylor described Gary Andersson as an 'idiot' when he stayed in the BDO. The point is - money isn't everything. There are people who like what they do, who enjoy their lives (even if it's mucking out cattle) and who dont need the hassle. And yet they get slagged to hell because they immediately don't give their lives over to the darts roadshow.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Murphio wrote:
NvH wrote:
fling wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm Didn't realise he did not play Saturday and unsure how he got on during Thursday but he certainly had a late one on the Wednesday evening as he was in our hotel.
People keep pointing out - quite correctly in my view - that the BDO is effectively the amatuer side of the game. And yet they still complain when amatuers act like amatuers. What is it to be? Some people see darts as a pastime, a hobby, a pub game to be enjoyed with their mates - and who are we to argue if that is what they want? Ross Montgomery has a game I could only dream of. A fantastic player who, in my view, could have won majors if he wanted. But - he isn't that bothered. Add him into the mix with BDO winners like Tony O'Shea, Wayne Warren, Scott Waites, Scott Mitchell. Hell, Phil Taylor described Gary Andersson as an 'idiot' when he stayed in the BDO. The point is - money isn't everything. There are people who like what they do, who enjoy their lives (even if it's mucking out cattle) and who dont need the hassle. And yet they get slagged to hell because they immediately don't give their lives over to the darts roadshow.
Excellent post. Agree 100%.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Murphio wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:01 am
NvH wrote:

Montgomery walked off shrugging his shoulders, probably because it was the end of a darting year that began with his wife discovering she had cancer and ended with her treatment being successful, him finding form, qualifying with two late tournament wins, then playing a decent game at the Worlds, which he lost in sudden death, sat on 60 after 12, with his opponent going bull and 15 darts. What a loser.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

I didn't call him a loser, neither did I mention his wife. So you can stop building your strawmen now ;)

I merely pointed out something that amused me. Ross the Boss horsing pints just after he's been beaten by a Frenchman ready to cheer on his compatriot Gary Stone towards another heroic failure.

I'm a competitive bugger in everything I do, regardless of how much money is at stake or how bad I am at the particular game/sport. Tony O'Shea is probably a bad example to give as a "winner", seeing as he's rarely brought anything like his "a-game" to a major final. 0-6 vs Tony David, 0-7 vs Bunting, 1-7 vs Waites, etc.

It takes all sorts. After all, some people like to go on about toy boards, or how the PDC need better trophies as if it matters. Others (okay, the same people) talk about how the crowd are "mongs" (and then have the nerve to lecture others they feel are mocking the disabled) for creating a vibrant atmosphere. Others (or again, the same folk) have even (rightly IMO) mocked the pathetic displays some PDC plodders put up against Taylor over the years. Terry Jenkins vs Taylor in the 2009 Matchplay was one of the most pathetic capitulations I've seen. And some have even made it their life's main hobby to attack the PDC at every opportunity, but appear to take umbrage at any criticism the other way ;)

I'm sure there's a word for this kind of behaviour, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. Perhaps it will come back to me tomorrow :)

Cheers for your replies though, I'll be sure to take them on board if I have a lobotomy.
Last edited by NvH on Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

As for what Taylor said about Gando, I don't recall it, but I don't doubt that it's true. Of course, it's entirely up to each player where they want to play their darts, but when you have the talent to make a lot of money from the game, it is strange to deliberately choose not to. And we are entitled to give our view on this just as much as they are entitled to make their own decisions.

There aren't many walks of life where you'd prefer to shovel shit than have the opportunity to earn a few hundred grand a year.

It made sense when Richie Davies quit because he had a very well paying job in IT. But most of these players, let's be frank, don't have such opportunities outside of darts. What would Corey Cadby do, for example? Become an author? I really do hope English isn't his first language.

The BDO break promises time and again, and yes I do think it's pretty damn stupid to keep believing them after what we've just witnessed at the O2 and the Winmau before that. So yeah, each to their own, but I stand by what I said.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

On a slightly different tangent, over 350 players have entered the first JDC event of the season. Wow.

Say what you like about all of the different organisations, but it's fantastic that so many players are playing competitive darts. Today you have Romania, next weekend you have the Dutch Open, the Challenge Tour starts this weekend...

From a playing perspective, the sport has never been healthier.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Dannyboy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:44 am On a slightly different tangent, over 350 players have entered the first JDC event of the season. Wow.

Say what you like about all of the different organisations, but it's fantastic that so many players are playing competitive darts. Today you have Romania, next weekend you have the Dutch Open, the Challenge Tour starts this weekend...

Yeah, I agree with you completely. For all the talk by some people about "saturation point being met", "Too many TV tournaments (as if they are going to rid of perfectly good TV deals and sponsorship money to appease a few whingers on darts fora) and "bubble bursting", the evidence rather contradicts such negativity
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Is that you Monkety?
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Wrong thread. FFS.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Rout wrote:
ILAD wrote:
NvH wrote:
fling wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm Didn't realise he did not play Saturday and unsure how he got on during Thursday but he certainly had a late one on the Wednesday evening as he was in our hotel.

You joke but alcohol is banned on the pro tour now, not allowed inside the venue
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

Dannyboy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:44 am On a slightly different tangent, over 350 players have entered the first JDC event of the season. Wow.

Nathan Care should run away with the JDC this season. He's a fantastic player with a great attitude, probably the complete opposite of Leighton Bennet.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:45 pm
Rout wrote:
ILAD wrote:
NvH wrote:

You joke but alcohol is banned on the pro tour now, not allowed inside the venue
Players outside the entrance necking a quick couple of cans while parents push past bringing their daughter to gymnastics in the other room isn't going to look that professional is it..
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

trotter01 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:43 pm
Rout wrote:
ILAD wrote:

Players outside the entrance necking a quick couple of cans while parents push past bringing their daughter to gymnastics in the other room isn't going to look that professional is it..
I'm sure it's only in the main hall,whilst the matches are on, think they use the bar in the backroom. Loads of people going back to there car for a quick snifter.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Rout wrote:
ILAD wrote:
NvH wrote:

😂
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

Black Velvet wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:48 am Is that you Monkety?
;-)