OK, thank you for the input Stephanie.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Re: 6th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 Aug - 1 Sep

Post by devosteve »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:17 pm
nikkiboy wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:47 pm Would be intersected to know what Eurosport currently know.

Wonder if there is truth in the rumour that they’ve dropped the BDO after one event.
Where has that rumour come from?
I’ve not seen that anywhere.

Seen the usual rumour that it’s not a 3 year contract it’s a event by event contract that Eurosport can renew up to the 3 years (like what it was rumours the c4 contract wash but not seen anything that it’s been dropped
Where have you seen that rumour re event by.event?

and if it is true a little bit of spin there by des it would seem?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:47 pm Would be intersected to know what Eurosport currently know.

Wonder if there is truth in the rumour that they’ve dropped the BDO after one event.

Seen the usual rumour that it’s not a 3 year contract it’s a event by event contract that Eurosport can renew up to the 3 years (like what it was rumours the c4 contract wash but not seen anything that it’s been dropped
Eurosport were quite happy to call it a three year deal on their own website

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/darts/world ... tory.shtml

Nowhere on there does it say "up to three years".
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:59 pm
nikkiboy wrote:

Eurosport were quite happy to call it a three year deal on their own website

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/darts/world ... tory.shtml

Nowhere on there does it say "up to three years".
That would seem to quench that rumour then re event by event renewal.
If they did do the BDO that would be massive. Can't see that though. Now if the wdt is a massive flop re crowd, who knows.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

An 8 month old press release quenching a new rumour there.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Come on now Chris, if I had typed the exact same words Zapp had posted you would be ripping them to shreds, and rightly so.

Unless every single party has lied about the details in every single press release about the deal, the only way Eurosport dont show the WDT is if the WDT doesnt happen (unlikely) or some other unspecified contract breach.

The whole idea of an "event by event" deal is absurd.
Big Jock Knew
clemy1989
The Ton Club

Post by clemy1989 »

I actually don't think the "event by event" deal is so absurb. Infact i think it would be very shrewd from Eurosport. They would no all the in's and out's of the BDO and how their events have gone previously and so could quite easily have added a clause into the contract about some sort of get out. I also think the BDO were that desperate at the time of making the deal that they would of taken that chance to save the Lakeside.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

clemy1989 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:36 pm I actually don't think the "event by event" deal is so absurb. Infact i think it would be very shrewd from Eurosport. They would no all the in's and out's of the BDO and how their events have gone previously and so could quite easily have added a clause into the contract about some sort of get out. I also think the BDO were that desperate at the time of making the deal that they would of taken that chance to save the Lakeside.
I agree with all of that but the press release clearly says its a three year deal, and not "up to three years", or "event by event up to three years", or whatever. A break clause is totally different and all decent contracts will have those anyway.

Of course, everyone could have been lied to from the outset, but surely nobody would have done that :IIII: :IIII:
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

All it needs is a simple clause that the contract can be cancelled by either party at any time.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:51 pm All it needs is a simple clause that the contract can be cancelled by either party at any time.
Which is totally different to negotiating an event by event deal in the first place.
Big Jock Knew
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

nikkiboy wrote:

Just heard it being mooted a couple of times. Nothing from a serious source. May explain the struggles of finding a sponsor and venue if they can’t guarantee tv exposure. Possibility Eurosport trying to keep it off main channels?

Whatever the issues it doesn’t bode well for Des or the BDO.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Des has the sponsors on board, has since before he took the job, he’s just forgot who they are........
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Eurosport do have a lot of other content and only 2 TV channels. May be a problem finding the available time slots especially at weekend. January when Lakeside is on is pretty dead for live sport outside the winter snow events Eurosport show but lots more going on rest of year.

They could be saying only on their Eurosport Player online streaming service which would then make the event dead for sponsorship as viewership on that would be minimal. Think they put some of the minor snooker events on there.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

malcy93 wrote:Eurosport do have a lot of other content and only 2 TV channels. May be a problem finding the available time slots especially at weekend. January when Lakeside is on is pretty dead for live sport outside the winter snow events Eurosport show but lots more going on rest of year.

They could be saying only on their Eurosport Player online streaming service which would then make the event dead for sponsorship as viewership on that would be minimal. Think they put some of the minor snooker events on there.
Eurosport have the US Open tennis for a few years still dont they? The WDT clashes with the first week of it.
Tennis starts at 4pm each day.
Big Jock Knew
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Ginge wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:47 pm
malcy93 wrote:Eurosport do have a lot of other content and only 2 TV channels. May be a problem finding the available time slots especially at weekend. January when Lakeside is on is pretty dead for live sport outside the winter snow events Eurosport show but lots more going on rest of year.

Eurosport have the US Open tennis for a few years still dont they? The WDT clashes with the first week of it.
EURO sport don't have the US Open tennis any more.. That's purely on Amazon
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

trotter01 wrote:

Aha, fair enough. Probably little else on then to clash with it so no reason why they would dump it online only.
Big Jock Knew
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

There’s no snooker on the weekend so Eurosport can’t use that as an excuse.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Tour of Deutschland is on that weekend.
And cheese rolling from Wensleydale.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Ginge wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:19 pm
trotter01 wrote:

Aha, fair enough. Probably little else on then to clash with it so no reason why they would dump it online only.
I thought the whole point was that the World Trophy and World Masters dates were moved to fit in with Eurosport schedules. The dates are not a problem, just everything else! I reckon it was going to be at Preston Guild Hall until that went tits up. Lakeside is my guess at this short notice
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Addicks Fan wrote:
Ginge wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:19 pm
trotter01 wrote:

I thought the whole point was that the World Trophy and World Masters dates were moved to fit in with Eurosport schedules. The dates are not a problem, just everything else! I reckon it was going to be at Preston Guild Hall until that went tits up. Lakeside is my guess at this short notice
Oche on Twitter suggested that the Guild Hall going tits up was the reason for the delay, for some reason a certain ITV pundit who has also worked on Lakeside found this amusing so maybe its wide of the mark.
Last edited by Ginge on Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Jock Knew