6th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 Aug - 1 Sep Blackburn

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
maninasuitcase
Brass Darts

Re: 6th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 Aug - 1 Sep Blackburn

Post by maninasuitcase »

devosteve wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:49 pm Technically Paula can behave as she wants. But in her position a more professional approach would reflect better on her and the bdo.
The Phil the Greek of Darts.
$500 a day plus expenses.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

devosteve wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:51 pm Reading on darts news bobby George shedding some light on how LR were treated. And it's not good re the board
Just reading it now. Luckily for Des, he now has a group of 6 new people who are seemingly happy to get £15 a day.
Big Jock Knew
maninasuitcase
Brass Darts

Post by maninasuitcase »

Ginge wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:56 pm
devosteve wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:51 pm Reading on darts news bobby George shedding some light on how LR were treated. And it's not good re the board
Just reading it now. Luckily for Des, he now has a group of 6 new people who are seemingly happy to get £15 a day.
FFS that is appalling. Before I retired this I was on over £15 an hour and I didn't have to get up in front of a crowd. £15 a day is slave labour. No wonder the others buggered off. I bet Russ Bray is on slightly more than £15. :grin:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Surely they knew the terms when they took the gig on, unless they used to be paid more and it was taken off them.
Big Jock Knew
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

devosteve wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:36 pm Someone mentioned Anna being blanked at final walk on. on Saturday I was down the front and to honest Anna was just 'in the zone' and walked down, looking straight ahead. I am not knocking her for that btw.

Trina was the opposite in her walk on. Gave every one a kiss, including myself! I felt for her though. She looked so frail and, imo, did not look well at all.
Ana is like that for all the matches I've seen her play - totally focused, not interesting in meeting and greeting before a match. Nothing wrong with that.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Post the link
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:
Post the link
https://dartsnews.com/bobby-george-weig ... to-get-on/
Big Jock Knew
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

Try adding a zero to end + other gimmies imo if contacted say a printing error ( well used trick ) winmau / bdo went separate ways e refs were sponsored by winmau bit of a coincidence that what was a seemingly well run good tournament is being under sold by one of the highest profile guys who’s sponsored by winmau ( darts are anyhow) & his old chum potter has been given the elbow, sorry forum posters this has sour grapes all over it winmau are the best boards but have nowhere to display them tv wise until the pdc contract is there’s but as ever the gullible public will lap up what they read as gospel, that’s the view from euroland ta ta
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Bye!
Big Jock Knew
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

What happened to the short, bald one (appeared to be the lead ref when they were announced). He did a few games on Friday but then wasn't seen on Saturday or Sunday.

Agree with maninasuitcase as well, Paul Booth didn't come across very well at all. He had a few sentences before each player came on and he had to constantly look down at his card and barely seemed to know what he was saying anyway.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Si Robin wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:43 pm What happened to the short, bald one (appeared to be the lead ref when they were announced). He did a few games on Friday but then wasn't seen on Saturday or Sunday.

Agree with maninasuitcase as well, Paul Booth didn't come across very well at all. He had a few sentences before each player came on and he had to constantly look down at his card and barely seemed to know what he was saying anyway.
John Fowler? Probably had some prior engagements somewhere else he couldnt get out of. Rotherham, maybe.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

How much did the markers used to get? Sounds similar.
maninasuitcase
Brass Darts

Post by maninasuitcase »

I wonder how much John McDonald, Russ Bray, George Noble, etc get paid per evening. Perhaps they get £20?
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

mshaw2 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:27 pm Great weekend. Packed out most days and top notch darts. The BDO is well and truly on its way back to the top.
How much did it cost you for the 3 days?
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Nice to see the ‘new’ member has fitted in rather smoothly.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Surely Ashdown was paid, plus hotel costs and travelling expenses?
It was in the list of demands the BDO put to Dobinson and Shownights? about some event ages ago.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

devosteve wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:29 pm
Bag Carrier wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:24 am
oche balboa wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:54 am Moving on

Did anyone find it really odd the wild celebrations during the Woman’s final from 2 woman’s dart players who was eliminated

Talk about being in the back pocket
Pretty embarrassing the behaviour of some. It was noted by many others and one of the sponsors who was in the venue.

Same old same old.
I didn't see this specific instance but I have mixed feelings re players supporting other players.

A few years back at Blackpool Tower there was a group of 3 ladies with the newly formed LDO banner in front of their table. The were the ladies running it I think. Anyway when trine came on playing.? (Lady who plays on pdc ) they were up screaming for trine. Totally out of order as they were supposed to be representing all ladies. Anyway Mrs devo and I started supporting the opponent. Wished I had said something now.

Now on Saturday I was sat next to trina's table. When she went to play Paula came to the table to support her and cheer her on. Wasn't to loud but then trina played very bad. In her position (as des' wife) maybe she should be a bit more neutral? I think so from a professional and respectful position.

but if a regular player is watching her friend shouldn't she be able to cheer that friend on? But not ott?

What do folks think?
Paula Jacklin is why Des Jacklin is involved in darts, but "chairman's wife" is not an official position in the BDO hierarchy and as far as I am aware she wasn't doing anything official. She was there having qualified as a player.

Some players are closer to each other and some have larger and/or louder support groups. Not a problem as long as they aren't whistling and putting the opponent off. If they stood out, it's probably because there wasn't much of a crowd on Sunday evening. At times it seemed like quite a lot of players seated in the crowd to help make the venue look fuller.
Last edited by 1205 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:Surely Ashdown was paid, plus hotel costs and travelling expenses?
It was in the list of demands the BDO put to Dobinson and Shownights? about some event ages ago.
Good point. Must go and find that.
Big Jock Knew
maninasuitcase
Brass Darts

Post by maninasuitcase »

ILAD wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:50 pm Nice to see the ‘new’ member has fitted in rather smoothly.
I thank you. ;-)
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I didn't see much of it I will admit.. Every time I had a look I lost interest pretty quickly.. The coverage was OK but the whole thing just lacked something for me...the BDO is certainly a niche audience now.. cannot see many casuals sitting watching that for long..

Paul Booth was shite.. He was shite on TV during the legends events and he's even worse now.. I don't feel refs are important at all.. Anybody can add up and shout a score.. Makes no odds but the MC is important.. Love him or hate him Fitzmaurice was the best the BDO had.. I hated his jokes but he could create an atmosphere and came across well when actually on TV... Little Richard was very professional but Paul Booth is so stiff and crap...