Justtelluswhatthefeckisgoingon July

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
trotter01
Pub Champion

Re: Marvelous March

Post by trotter01 »

Ginge wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:08 am
Paddy McGinty wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:07 am
trotter01 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 pm Paula said on Fanatics the dates for the Winmau and WDT are set in stone because they had to be as part of the Eurosport deal....and Des would announce venues as soon as confirmed....think that was yesterday ...so nothing immediate by the sound of it...
If the dates are set in stone why can't they be announced?
Probably because they dont have a confirmed venue yet.

The dates are on the Calendar page, and have been since October or so.
She did say that once venues are announced it would be multi year deals..so I assume they are deep in negotiations with venues ...and I assume that would include Lakeside or alternative venues for the Worlds...was a bit silly for a journalist to put a timescale on it..or for Des to give him that timescale...
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

trotter01 wrote:
Ginge wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:08 am
Paddy McGinty wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:07 am
trotter01 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 pm Paula said on Fanatics the dates for the Winmau and WDT are set in stone because they had to be as part of the Eurosport deal....and Des would announce venues as soon as confirmed....think that was yesterday ...so nothing immediate by the sound of it...
If the dates are set in stone why can't they be announced?
Probably because they dont have a confirmed venue yet.

The dates are on the Calendar page, and have been since October or so.
She did say that once venues are announced it would be multi year deals..so I assume they are deep in negotiations with venues ...and I assume that would include Lakeside or alternative venues for the Worlds...was a bit silly for a journalist to put a timescale on it..or for Des to give him that timescale...

I’m guessing they will all be at the same venue (including the worlds) really can’t see them to be negotiating with 3 different venues for 3 different multi year deals.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Not very original to have them all at the same venue, is it?
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Why would the BRITISH Darts Organisation hold 2 of their 3 major televised events in another country?

Wont be happening.

Absolutely nothing stopping the NDB creating an event, applying for points, funding the event and getting it on TV, of course.....
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Can't see them all being at same venue.

key with moving from lakeside is getting sponsorship for the event. Maybe this is causing the delay?

And re Winmau. have they changed their mind re sponsoring the masters? I thought they announced they were no longer doing that.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Get smaller venues they can actually fill and work from there.
If the turnout at the WDT and Masters is woeful, the Worlds will be no different, should it be at a different venue. Hopefully much cheaper anyway, Potter was taking the piss with his prices.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Bdo worlds should stay at Lakeside, I believe it’s too late to get a venue & a successful marketing campaign

World Trophy & World Masters should go to small areas
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

phil davies wrote:
Ginge wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:39 pm Why would the BRITISH Darts Organisation hold 2 of their 3 major televised events in another country?

Wont be happening.

Absolutely nothing stopping the NDB creating an event, applying for points, funding the event and getting it on TV, of course.....
To make money which is what the job of the BDO board is. Almost Nobody turning up for their majors in the UK. Finders masters does okay crowd wise easy business decision give the majors a go in Holland can’t be worse than the British venues.
In which case hand over control of the two events to the NDB. They will never ever move abroad, if they do I will donate £100 to a charity of your choice
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Aye because the NDB will just stand by and let that happen...
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:49 pm Aye because the NDB will just stand by and let that happen...
Eh?
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Certainly no chance of the 3 BDO events going outside of Britain...
I think the Worlds should stay at Lakeside...it's still the jewel that the BDO have...it's not what is was but it will still draw a greater crowd than any other venue..and this year's event came across OK on Eurosport...why kill that when they don't need to ?

No idea about the other 2...small venues for sure..but nobody needs another Preston on TV ..
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:15 am The article on the Metro site now looking more ridiculous by the day. Maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut.
No, No, No.
Des's reign has been a huge success. It was in the Metro article in a quote from...... erm....... Des.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

trotter01 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:13 pm Certainly no chance of the 3 BDO events going outside of Britain...
I think the Worlds should stay at Lakeside...it's still the jewel that the BDO have...it's not what is was but it will still draw a greater crowd than any other venue..and this year's event came across OK on Eurosport...why kill that when they don't need to ?

No idea about the other 2...small venues for sure..but nobody needs another Preston on TV ..
Their main aim for those tournaments should be to have a decent atmosphere for television.
Lakeside is their top event, so clearly they need to pick a venue smaller than that.
Try to find a cheap, accessible venue, close to a population centre, advertise on the website, the normal social media (hopefully in a less chavtastic way), and do local promotion and give tickets away as needed to fill the venue.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 pm
Ginge wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:49 pm Aye because the NDB will just stand by and let that happen...
Eh?
I think Ginge means that it would cause serious ructions with the NDB if the BDO chose to organise and hold their flagship events in The Netherlands, and walk away with the profit. I'm not 100% certain but I couldn't see the rule that the BDO reserves the right to hold a ranking event anywhere in the world on the website (used to be there), so that would mean they would need to ask anyway.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Addicks Fan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:12 am
Eh?
I think Ginge means that it would cause serious ructions with the NDB if the BDO chose to organise and hold their flagship events in The Netherlands, and walk away with the profit. I'm not 100% certain but I couldn't see the rule that the BDO reserves the right to hold a ranking event anywhere in the world on the website (used to be there), so that would mean they would need to ask anyway.
They are happy to let the PDC run events in NL :)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:23 am
Eh?
Are the PDC a fellow WDF member?
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:19 pm
Ginge wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:15 am The article on the Metro site now looking more ridiculous by the day. Maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut.
No, No, No.
Des's reign has been a huge success. It was in the Metro article in a quote from...... erm....... Des.
:grin:
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:39 am
Eh?
Are you saying the NDB would try to stop the BDO organising a flagship event in NL because they are a member of the WDF?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Here you touch on a problem for England darts. The bdo run events in England without permission I guess.

Paul always saying they are at a disadvantage to other members of the wdf
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:47 am
Ginge wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:39 am

Eh?
Are you saying the NDB would try to stop the BDO organising a flagship event in NL because they are a member of the WDF?
Who were the recent Torremolinos & Turkish Opens organised by ? and who walked away with any profits ?