PDC Development Tour 2019

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
foggs3355
International

Re: PDC Development Tour 2019

Post by foggs3355 »

dartsyoungun wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am Should be under 21 on date of final
I agree under 21 no players inside top 40 of rankings
County Player

Post by 1205 »

In a game where players can get serious late, and play well into their 50s, 24 is still young.

If you look at rankings, there are very few young players near the top.
#25 Hopp is 23.
#30 Van den Bergh is 25.

Higher up, the younger players are in their late 20s.

I think that for now, 24 is OK. We aren't really at a point where you're wondering why the feck a top player's playing Development Tour. Give it a few years and players will probably be coming more fully developed out of the JDC, but until that happens, leave it be.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

1205 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:35 am In a game where players can get serious late, and play well into their 50s, 24 is still young.

If you look at rankings, there are very few young players near the top.
#25 Hopp is 23.
#30 Van den Bergh is 25.

Higher up, the younger players are in their late 20s.

I think that for now, 24 is OK. We aren't really at a point where you're wondering why the feck a top player's playing Development Tour. Give it a few years and players will probably be coming more fully developed out of the JDC, but until that happens, leave it be.
Agreed there, Humphries is actually pretty raw compared with some of the others, last year he only secured his ProTour place at the Worlds at the very last event (though he'd have qualified via the Development Tour), and he's never come particularly close to qualifying for the more exclusive TV events (just the Worlds and the UK Open so far, with a debut at the Players Championships to come this year and the Grand Slam next year probably). He's obviously a top talent, as that quarter final at Ally Pally last year shows, but he's far from the finished article
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Also, while de Zwaan went on an absolutely mad run early on in the Development Tour season (hitting 8 100+ averages in a row, including some Gerwyn Price-esque games), he definitely doesn't bring that kind of form every game, and has only ever won 2 DT titles
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Have to say, whilst I think it has been a great Tour, and has helped Luke Humphries through his issues, something does not sit right with me seeing a near 24 year old experienced Tour Card holder playing a 17 year old boy in the Youth Final.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
County Player

Post by 1205 »

ssjsa wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:14 pm Have to say, whilst I think it has been a great Tour, and has helped Luke Humphries through his issues, something does not sit right with me seeing a near 24 year old experienced Tour Card holder playing a 17 year old boy in the Youth Final.
I think it's perfect. Somebody very experienced and about to leave the tour, playing a talented newcomer.

Like the 2018 World Championship final.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

A youth champion with a full beard and a beer belly, makes you feel proud.

Did Barney not enter this year?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

You'll always get this, as darts remains a sport you can pick up relatively late in life. Some players have big success early, some mature later on, it's not like football where if you're 25/26 you really should be approaching your prime. Perhaps the JDC will change this as we see more players under 18 play high level darts, but for now, a large number of players are entering later, and they should be catered for. Think there should be some restrictions for tour card holders, slightly tighter than what they have now, but also, youngsters should also be exposed to professionals