Re: Barney's back

Post by ChrisW »

OK breath easy everyone.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

google translated from NOS.nl

Raymond van Barneveld continues as a professional darter. That is what his manager Jaco van Bodegom says, who was still on the phone with his pupil for an hour and a half on Friday morning.

"He was very emotional last night, everyone knows how Raymond can be. He felt humiliated. He was completely through it. His home situation also has to do. After the press conference I talked to him in the car and this morning I met him. I had another hour and a half on the phone. In the meantime he has recovered a bit. He absolutely wants to continue, "Van Bodegom tells NOS.

He has now been gone for a few days and on Tuesday we will discuss how we will continue.

Van Barneveld told Michael van Gerwen after the 7-1 defeat last night that he would immediately stop playing darts. After midnight, his manager stated that that was not yet certain. "He has now been gone for a few days and on Tuesday we will discuss how we will continue. For example, he can play some smaller tournaments, a bit more sheltered, and find his shape again."

Van Barneveld will focus on floor tournaments in the coming months. There he hopes to qualify for the World Cup in December and January, the stage for his final farewell. "The World Cup remains the goal. That is easily achievable. To participate, you must have 20,000 euros in prize money and he is already at 10,000", says Van Bodegom.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:19 am google translated from NOS.nl

Raymond van Barneveld continues as a professional darter. That is what his manager Jaco van Bodegom says, who was still on the phone with his pupil for an hour and a half on Friday morning.

"He was very emotional last night, everyone knows how Raymond can be. He felt humiliated. He was completely through it. His home situation also has to do. After the press conference I talked to him in the car and this morning I met him. I had another hour and a half on the phone. In the meantime he has recovered a bit. He absolutely wants to continue, "Van Bodegom tells NOS.

He has now been gone for a few days and on Tuesday we will discuss how we will continue.

Van Barneveld told Michael van Gerwen after the 7-1 defeat last night that he would immediately stop playing darts. After midnight, his manager stated that that was not yet certain. "He has now been gone for a few days and on Tuesday we will discuss how we will continue. For example, he can play some smaller tournaments, a bit more sheltered, and find his shape again."

Van Barneveld will focus on floor tournaments in the coming months. There he hopes to qualify for the World Cup in December and January, the stage for his final farewell. "The World Cup remains the goal. That is easily achievable. To participate, you must have 20,000 euros in prize money and he is already at 10,000", says Van Bodegom.
His manager shitting himself at the loss of an income stream, clearly.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:26 am
ChrisW wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:19 am google translated from NOS.nl

His manager shitting himself at the loss of an income stream, clearly.
Did you shit yourself when you lost your income last night ;-)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Not quite, thankfully he managed it last week @ 14/1 again so I will live.
Big Jock Knew
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Pretty embarrassing situation

Pdc should have never gave him the wildcard spot, sets an odd precedent and was purely done to get him some money in his last year.

Shame it’s ended like this as I think the best players should always go at the worlds but this could have been completely avoided
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:51 am Pretty embarrassing situation

Pdc should have never gave him the wildcard spot, sets an odd precedent and was purely done to get him some money in his last year.

Shame it’s ended like this as I think the best players should always go at the worlds but this could have been completely avoided
Its alright, looks like his manager has begged him to changed his mind. Cash cow needs milked.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2019/03/29/poss ... urn-barney

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD could reverse his decision to bring forward his retirement, according to his manager.

The Dutch legend had seen his final Premier League season ended with elimination at Rotterdam Ahoy this week following crushing 7-1 losses to Daryl Gurney and Michael van Gerwen.

Having been given an incredible farewell by 10,000 Dutch fans on each evening in Rotterdam, an emotional Van Barneveld announced his intention to retire immediately from competition.

He had initially planned to end his illustrious career following the 2019/2020 World Championship, and was set to continue competing on the Players Championship and European Tour circuit in the coming weeks.

Following Van Barneveld's initial post-match interviews, where he stated that Rotterdam would be his final competitive appearances, manager Jaco van Bodegom left the door open for a U-turn from the five-time World Champion.

Writing on Twitter, Van Bodegom said: "Raymond had had a very tough 2 nights and in all his emotions he said he was gonne retire right away.

"I just spoke with him and we agreed it is better to take a couple of days to clear the mind and think about the future. I hope everyone understand."

Van Barneveld has qualified for the German Darts Open event in April, and despite dropping to 30th on the PDC Order of Merit had boosted his World Championship qualification hopes with a run to a Players Championship final recently.

Barneveled 8 times world champion pictured with Taylor who was also famous for many retirements.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Utterly pathetic.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

phil davies wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:31 am Let’s be honest it was always going to happen and stupid to announce it when emotional last night. It’s idiotic retiring at any event that isn’t the worlds which he will be able to do enough to get to even without playing every event.
I dunno, a Dutchman retiring in front of 11,000 (mainly) Dutch people in Rotterdam isnt THAT idiotic.
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

It's clear his heart isn't in it any more, so he should just go. The notion he should retire at the World Championship just because it's seemingly the right thing to do is ludicrous. He's chucking turds, and clearly not enjoying it, so why put himself through it for another 9 months?

In his pomp he was my favourite player to watch. He made a difficult game look so easy, in the same way Ronnie O'Sullivan does when he can be arsed. But watching him now is bordering on tragic. I've never been a fan of the PL, but admit to having a sly look both nights this week, and I couldn't believe how lost he looked up there.
Another 9 months of that is no way for a true legend of the game to bow out.
You made the right call last night Barney, old son. Don't change your mind again.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/29/raymond- ... d-9057844/
Raymond van Barneveld unretires after retiring ahead of retirement. Confused?

It appears that Raymond van Barneveld has not yet retired from darts and will play on, until he ultimately retires at the end of the season. ‘Barney’ had been set to call it a day at the end of the next World Championship, but brought his retirement forward on Thursday after an emotional night in Rotterdam. The Dutchman was walloped 7-1 by Michael van Gerwen, a day after being thrashed by the same scoreline by Daryl Gurney, and he decided that enough was enough. However, his manager has now said that he will take some time to consider his decision, and went as far as to say that he will play on the ProTour on 6-7 April in Barnsley.

Tweeting from Van Barneveld’s official account, his manager wrote: ‘Raymond had had a very tough 2 nights and in all his emotions he said he was gonne retire right away. ‘I just spoke with him and we agreed it is better to take a couple of days to clear the mind and think about the future. ‘I hope everyone understand. Kind Regards Jaco van Bodegom.’ Later, Van Bodegom added to NUSport: ‘Raymond is having a weekend off and on Tuesday morning we will sit together. ‘I expect he will continue his career. He will play [Pro Tour] next Saturday. ‘I know him very well. He said before he was retiring immediately after suffering a heavy defeat, that happened again. Raymond made his statement in all his emotions.’

It may be that ‘Barney’ still decides to call it quits and not take to the oche again. Emotions were running high in Rotterdam, but he seemed set on his decision, describing the ‘pain’ he has been in as he struggles for form.
I’ve made a decision. I’m done now,’ said the five-time world champ. ‘I don’t want the pain anymore, pal, I don’t want the pain. ‘It’s good to see that everyone loves you but they don’t have one single clue about the pain of the last three or four years.’ Van Barneveld is out of the Premier League but there are five Players Championship events he can play in over April and he has already qualified for the German Darts Open starting 26 April. It appears at this point that we could see him at some or all of these tournaments, but ‘Barney’ is rightly having some time to think about his decision.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

If he turns up at events for the next 8 months he is is clearly only doing it to keep other people happy, so will continue hoying turds for 8 months.
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Ginge wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:54 am If he turns up at events for the next 8 months he is is clearly only doing it to keep other people happy, so will continue hoying turds for 8 months.
To be fair to him, he's gaining quite a reputation for doing what he can to leave other people happy......
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Have a feeling he will do alright once he's got over the Ahoy nightmare.
ChrisW
International

Re: Barney retires early

Post by ChrisW »

malcy93 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:06 am Story of retirement now on BBC
https://www.bbc.com/sport/darts/47728242
Has anyone told them yet? :)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The backtrack is now complete. Story on BBC Sport website 10 mins ago.
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Re: Barney Retires early

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:32 pm Good. Hes a waste of space. Can now spend his free time continuing his mid life crisis by shagging anything that moves that isnt Sylvia.
Ginge calling dibs on Barney, there.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

"Wrong decision to be honest. He's shot. He will never qualify for the Worlds.

In fact, I'm that confident that he won't that if he does, I'll sign up as a member to TSOD"

Madsocks :D
Big Jock Knew