Barney's back

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Skewball
International

Re: Barney's back

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote:"Wrong decision to be honest. He's shot. He will never qualify for the Worlds.

In fact, I'm that confident that he won't that if he does, I'll sign up as a member to TSOD"

Madsocks :D
He wouldn't last 5 minutes on here. A flaky version of ifm
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD will continue playing throughout the remainder of 2019 after reconsidering his decision to bring forward his planned retirement.

The Dutch legend had announced last November that this would be his final year on the professional circuit before he would retire following the 2019/2019 William Hill World Darts Championship.

However, in the immediate aftermath of his elimination from the Unibet Premier League following two defeats in Rotterdam this week, Van Barneveld had stated his intention to stop playing immediately.

The five-time World Champion has slipped to 30th on the PDC Order of Merit in recent months, although a run to a Players Championship final and qualification for two European Tour events have boosted his hopes of securing a World Championship spot.

He has also endured a turbulent time away from the oche after the break-up of his marriage to wife Silvia, but has now reconsidered his future since Thursday's emotional Premier League farewell in Rotterdam.

In a statement released through the PDC on Friday (March 29), Van Barneveld said: "For months my life has been a rollercoaster of emotions.

"In my private life there have been so many troubles, and as a dart player you try not to but you take all that with you on stage.

"I was humbled that I was given the chance to play in the Premier League this year and really wanted to show everybody the true Barney, but it was only glimpses that I could give.

"My personal problems got the better of me and I was always catching up to my opponents on stage. Yesterday all those emotions came together and I couldn't handle that at that moment.

"I felt ashamed on stage in front of my family, my friends and the Barney Army. I felt I let everyone down and that pain was very hard to deal with.

"In the heat of the moment I only wanted to never feel that again, but I realise that I should not speak out like that when I feel such raw emotion.

"I want to end my career at Alexandra Palace during one final World Championship.

"I hope people understand the difficult times my family and I have been going through and I need to get my head together.

"I will take a couple of days off for this and then try to compete as well as I can in the floor tournaments out of the spotlight in the coming weeks."

Alongside his participation in the forthcoming Players Championship events, Van Barneveld has also qualified for April's German Darts Open for his second European Tour appearance of the year

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Skewball wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:41 pm
Ginge wrote:"Wrong decision to be honest. He's shot. He will never qualify for the Worlds.

In fact, I'm that confident that he won't that if he does, I'll sign up as a member to TSOD"

He would not last long.
Be entertaining though.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

BlueSpark wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:44 pm
Skewball wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:41 pm

He would not last long.
Be entertaining though.
Whoever set up the multiple has forgotten the password.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Ha, forgot about that.
I know who that was aswell.
JOEY
Pub Champion

Post by JOEY »

Come on Barney!!! Look forward to seeing him one more time at ally pally
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Made the final of a tour event recently didn’t he? No reason not to expect him on our screens a few more times this year, hopefully.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Black Velvet wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:23 pm Made the final of a tour event recently didn’t he? No reason not to expect him on our screens a few more times this year, hopefully.
Finals
B1 101.1 Lewis, Adrian 8 - 3 van Barneveld, Raymond 95.2 225021
Semi-Finals
B2 87.5 van Barneveld, Raymond 7 - 6 Brown, Keegan 89.2 225020
Quarter-Finals
B1 101.6 van Barneveld, Raymond 6 - 2 Dekker, Jan 87.8 225018
Top 16
B13 101.1 van Barneveld, Raymond 6 - 5 Schindler, Martin 100.6 225014
Top 32
B16 90.3 van Barneveld, Raymond 6 - 3 Nentjes, Geert 83.6 225006
Top 64
B16 91.5 van Barneveld, Raymond 6 - 5 Lerchbacher, Zoran 91.6 224989
Top 128
B16 92.9 van Barneveld, Raymond 6 - 3 Justicia, Jose 85.1 224956

He had several good games. He's not been playing _terribly_, but he's not playing every weekend, which means fewer opportunities, and generally he's not playing well enough to go deep in tournaments.

There's one European Tour event (ET7) in the Netherlands. He might have been reminded of that.
Plus, there's a World Championship qualifier that he could play in if all else fails.
But, I don't expect him to play all the tournaments to try to make it.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

JOEY wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:36 pm Come on Barney!!! Look forward to seeing him one more time at ally pally
You want to see him playing like he did last night again?

Why?
Big Jock Knew
JOEY
Pub Champion

Post by JOEY »

Ginge wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:49 pm
JOEY wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:36 pm Come on Barney!!! Look forward to seeing him one more time at ally pally
You want to see him playing like he did last night again?

Why?
Obviously not, Been a huge Barney fan for over 20 years and want to see him live one more time, I live on the doorstep of the O2 but that ain't gonna happen so it's either the world's now or Minehead which I can't go this year....

Your so negative about him all the time, wind it in a bit let the guy try and have one last moment, he's earned it
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

So you want to see him hoying turds live one more time. Fair enough, everyone has a dream.
Big Jock Knew
JOEY
Pub Champion

Post by JOEY »

Obviously not
Kinsella
Brass Darts

Post by Kinsella »

Glad to see the great man has changed his mind. Whatever anyone says he is one of the all time greats. Up there with Evans, Lowe, Bristol, Taylor and MVG. He’s earned it and as for his private life it should be just that. Private,
JOEY
Pub Champion

Post by JOEY »

Ginge wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:24 am So you want to see him hoying turds live one more time. Fair enough, everyone has a dream.
Whose your favourite player?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

JOEY wrote:
Ginge wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:24 am So you want to see him hoying turds live one more time. Fair enough, everyone has a dream.
I dont have one really mate. In any case i dont like watching games where one player goes up there and plays utter garbage as happened this week.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ginge has a few he secretly fancies..... possibly ;)
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
JOEY
Pub Champion

Post by JOEY »

Ginge wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:42 am
JOEY wrote:
I dont have one really mate. In any case i dont like watching games where one player goes up there and plays utter garbage as happened this week.
Fair enough but the dream as you said isn't to go watch him play shite its for one more time...
Pretty sure Fulham are gonna sell there ground out every week for the rest of the season but why bother eh? There crap and going down

Now I challenge you to stop griping at the guy for the rest of the weekend....
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

:grin:
JOEY wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:06 am
JOEY wrote:
Fair enough but the dream as you said isn't to go watch him play shite its for one more time...
Pretty sure Fulham are gonna sell there ground out every week for the rest of the season but why bother eh? There crap and going down

Challenge accepted. ;)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

JOEY wrote:

Absolutely not. The man is an embarassment and an adulterer.
Big Jock Knew
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

Ginge wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:21 am
JOEY wrote:

Absolutely not. The man is an embarassment and an adulterer.
Schadenfreude 100%, yuk.