Should darts players be talking more about mental health?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
County Player

Re: Should darts players be talking more about mental health?

Post by 1205 »

nikkiboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:03 pm
Ginge wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:00 pm "Nobody who walked away from this plane crash can be called a "survivor" because nobody died in it"

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/31/amer ... index.html
But the definition already allows for people to survive a life threatening event or condition, i.e. 'he survived cancer', survived a plane crash and I have no issue in that at all.

Please explain to me how someone 'survived' being touched up by Harvey Weinstein?
Sexual assault and rape is a power crime. The person raped or assaulted has to deal with feelings of weakness, helplessness, self-worth and associated issues of trust.

The term survivor is used to as a positive to say that they have recovered or are recovering emotionally from the crime or crimes they've suffered. It was borrowed because other words like victim and sufferer have negative implications when they're looking for strength.

It's not just about being "touched up", it's about being touched up and feeling helpless to do anything about it. #metoo has been about exposing all the crap that girls and women (in particular) have had to deal with, and had learned to accept because they felt they'd be ignored, because they were ignored or out of fear that saying something would just make things worse.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

1205 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:52 pm
Ginge wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:00 pm "Nobody who walked away from this plane crash can be called a "survivor" because nobody died in it"

But the definition already allows for people to survive a life threatening event or condition, i.e. 'he survived cancer', survived a plane crash and I have no issue in that at all.

Please explain to me how someone 'survived' being touched up by Harvey Weinstein?
Sexual assault and rape is a power crime. The person raped or assaulted has to deal with feelings of weakness, helplessness, self-worth and associated issues of trust.

The term survivor is used to as a positive to say that they have recovered or are recovering emotionally from the crime or crimes they've suffered. It was borrowed because other words like victim and sufferer have negative implications when they're looking for strength.

It's not just about being "touched up", it's about being touched up and feeling helpless to do anything about it. #metoo has been about exposing all the crap that girls and women (in particular) have had to deal with, and had learned to accept because they felt they'd be ignored, because they were ignored or out of fear that saying something would just make things worse.
Whilst I understand your point and agree with the synopsis I can't see how calling someone a survivor changes anything, it's part of this new world attempt to use emotive language and take ownership of a word with no attempt to quantify the extent of suffering of one person to another.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
County Player

Post by 1205 »

nikkiboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:36 pm

Whilst I understand your point and agree with the synopsis I can't see how calling someone a survivor changes anything, it's part of this new world attempt to use emotive language and take ownership of a word with no attempt to quantify the extent of suffering of one person to another.
There's no one word that precisely and succinctly describes the impact.

But survivor is a stronger, more positive and more complete word than other words like victim and sufferer, and it's a response to all the past and continued minimising (Weinstein didn't touch them up, he sexually assaulted them) and blaming of those who are abused, assaulted and raped. It's also a reminder that the abuse, assault and rape continues and escalates, and people are murdered and commit suicide as a result. A survivor has made it past those threats.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

The program mentioned that suicide is the single biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

ChrisW wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:32 pm The program mentioned that suicide is the single biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK.
... and nicely back on topic.

While many psychiatrists complain about overdiagnosis of mental illness, depression is an avoidable killer. The vast majority of people with depression don't have any psychosis, especially younger people, so you can reason with them to get help if you know they need it. That's why there's a lot of emphasis (at least here in wellness questionnaires) to ask about things that could be signals of depression.

For players, there's a lot of time on the road, staying in hotels, around alcohol, in an almost entirely male competitive environment, with and a lot of pressure just to survive on the tour for a lot of players. Easy to hide it.
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

Im not one of the #metoo brigade and nor am I a survivor.

I do suffer with mental health, I always felt different growing up. I can put on a "brave" face.

Diagnosed with depression and anxiety 20+ years ago. Seen councillors and had CBT and am in a good place. Not everyday is a battle but everday I have down moments.

Dont normally discuss it openly, some close friends are aware and will listen (maybe twice a year I lean on them) don't like to bore them with my issues. Wife and daughters aware and supportive so I am lucky to have a good support network aroind me.
Thinking of one.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

For once I agree with Nikki. Everyone jumping on the victim/survivor bandwagon devalues what genuine victims have been through.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

The Crusader wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm Im not one of the #metoo brigade and nor am I a survivor.

I do suffer with mental health, I always felt different growing up. I can put on a "brave" face.

Diagnosed with depression and anxiety 20+ years ago. Seen councillors and had CBT and am in a good place. Not everyday is a battle but everday I have down moments.

Dont normally discuss it openly, some close friends are aware and will listen (maybe twice a year I lean on them) don't like to bore them with my issues. Wife and daughters aware and supportive so I am lucky to have a good support network aroind me.
Good on you for opening up about it, I too don't like to burden people with the day-to-day stuff, but I long ago stopped worrying about how people would react when the conversation turned to mental health, and acknowledging my struggles with anxiety, panic and depression no longer fills with me dread. Sounds like you are in a similar position, and CBT was fantastic for me.

Sport is not kind to people's ego - too many highs, too many lows - and unfortunately I think it will take a long time for a sportsman or woman to get the same care and attention paid to mental health as physical health.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Addicks Fan wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:54 am
The Crusader wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm Im not one of the #metoo brigade and nor am I a survivor.

Good on you for opening up about it, I too don't like to burden people with the day-to-day stuff, but I long ago stopped worrying about how people would react when the conversation turned to mental health, and acknowledging my struggles with anxiety, panic and depression no longer fills with me dread. Sounds like you are in a similar position, and CBT was fantastic for me.

Sport is not kind to people's ego - too many highs, too many lows - and unfortunately I think it will take a long time for a sportsman or woman to get the same care and attention paid to mental health as physical health.
I think we all have issues ourselves or that affect a close one, had quite bad OCD when I was a teenager but have learned to live with it and at times embrace it because in certain circumstances having it is actually a benefit, not when you walk a mile back to the house to check you've closed a front door that you've already checked four times it's not. Little 'routines' make that kind of thing a rarity mind.
It is what it is.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

nikkiboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:56 am
I think we all have issues ourselves or that effect a close one, had quite bad OCD when I was a teenager but have learned to live with it and at times embrace it because in certain circumstances having it is actually a benefit, not when you walk a mile back to the house to check you've closed a front door that you've already checked four times it's not. Little 'routines' make that kind of thing a rarity mind.
It is what it is.
Affect. That's just my brain following rules.

Two miles of exercise is good for you, though.

Someone close to me has depression (hereditary, probably exacerbated by other trauma) and says they probably survived because it hit hard when they had a dependent. Generally managed OK with medication, but the lows are sometimes difficult.

Also know someone who's had 2 psychotic episodes. Fortunately they have an understanding employer. The first episode had some very unpleasant and upsetting behavior, and when they become belligerent they were taken away. The 2nd time there was a proactive response, and the behavior was just odd rather than unpleasant.

I find this discussion on mental health interesting. It reminds me that when Wade had what appeared to be an episode, bordering on psychotic, at the World Championships, I didn't find the media or people on this forum were very understanding. Despite the fact that people know he's bipolar, the pundits and media seemed to ignore it in initial reports and some on this forum reacted as if it was being used as an excuse for his behavior, rather than something that informs his behavior. Maybe it's because it didn't fit with people's assumptions of a manic episode.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

1205 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:41 am
I think we all have issues ourselves or that effect a close one, had quite bad OCD when I was a teenager but have learned to live with it and at times embrace it because in certain circumstances having it is actually a benefit, not when you walk a mile back to the house to check you've closed a front door that you've already checked four times it's not. Little 'routines' make that kind of thing a rarity mind.
It is what it is.

Someone close to me has depression (hereditary, probably exacerbated by other trauma) and says they probably survived because it hit hard when they had a dependent. Generally managed OK with medication, but the lows are sometimes difficult.

Also know someone who's had 2 psychotic episodes. Fortunately they have an understanding employer. The first episode had some very unpleasant and upsetting behavior, and when they become belligerent they were taken away. The 2nd time there was a proactive response, and the behavior was just odd rather than unpleasant.

I find this discussion on mental health interesting. It reminds me that when Wade had what appeared to be an episode, bordering on psychotic, at the World Championships, I didn't find the media or people on this forum were very understanding. Despite the fact that people know he's bipolar, the pundits and media seemed to ignore it in initial reports and some on this forum reacted as if it was being used as an excuse for his behavior, rather than something that informs his behavior. Maybe it's because it didn't fit with people's assumptions of a manic episode.
I listened to a programme on radio 4 last night where they took a lad who had been excluded back to one of the schools which excluded him so he could ask why.
He was excluded for constantly fighting, biting and hitting teachers and general unruly behaviour every single day, some years after they diagnosed him with ADHD and he got some help and now admits he should have been excluded for his behaviour but still blames the school for excluding him, he was barred from I think 4 schools in total, one being a special school.
The conversation consisted of the teacher telling him he was unruly and refused to listen to anyone, getting violent when he didn't get his own way and him saying yes he was but they should have helped.
On the one hand I can see that more understanding may have helped him but on the other if he's going to bite and hit teachers then he has to go otherwise the authority of those teachers vanishes overnight and they end up with a whole school of children who believe they can do what they wish unchallenged.
The change in the lad's behaviour now is striking, is it drugs, the attention or getting a reason for his past so he can move on?
Don't know but I do still believe that some people use their diagnosis as an excuse for behaving like they know they shouldn't, almost as if it's not me it's my XXXX which makes people who have never experienced similar episodes suspicious as to whether it is correct or not.

As for affect/effect - had already changed it, initially I presumed it was a past tense statement so put effect but then realised it is also an ongoing or present statement which made affect the correct word.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

My eye health!!!
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

1205 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:24 pm

But survivor is a stronger, more positive and more complete word than other words like victim and sufferer, and it's a response to all the past and continued minimising (Weinstein didn't touch them up, he sexually assaulted them) and blaming of those who are abused, assaulted and raped. It's also a reminder that the abuse, assault and rape continues and escalates, and people are murdered and commit suicide as a result. A survivor has made it past those threats.
There is no evidence for that though, the evidence suggests that it is just the reporting that has escalated. For example a girl or boy having their arse groped in a disco (that's how old I am) or club 30 years ago would have brushed it aside but now are being encouraged to report it as a sexual assault, that along with the surge of historical claims have seen a rise in the numbers reported.
There is no way that there are more sexual assaults and attacks going on nowadays than there were in the 70s and 80s. You cannot expect to conduct social media and TV campaigns urging people to report things and then look at the rise in reports and say that more crimes are being committed.

Harvey Weinstein has not been found guilty of anything as of yet, he is obviously an odious and predatory man but the jury is still out on whether he committed any crime in law, he is certainly morally guilty of taking advantage of vulnerable star struck young women with the promise of fame and fortune if they do him sexual favours or hints of the ruining of careers if they don't but it remains to be seen if he will be convicted for his 'casting couch'.
Rock bands and roadies have essentially been doing the same thing since the 60s so if he is convicted expect another surge in complaints from music groupies.

And yes David I am having a quiet day today with more time on my hands than usual so sorry for that. :grin:
County Player

Post by 1205 »

nikkiboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:49 pm

There is no evidence for that though, the evidence suggests that it is just the reporting that has escalated. For example a girl or boy having their arse groped in a disco (that's how old I am) or club 30 years ago would have brushed it aside but now are being encouraged to report it as a sexual assault, that along with the surge of historical claims have seen a rise in the numbers reported.
There is no way that there are more sexual assaults and attacks going on nowadays than there were in the 70s and 80s. You cannot expect to conduct social media and TV campaigns urging people to report things and then look at the rise in reports and say that more crimes are being committed.

Harvey Weinstein has not been found guilty of anything as of yet, he is obviously an odious and predatory man but the jury is still out on whether he committed any crime in law, he is certainly morally guilty of taking advantage of vulnerable star struck young women with the promise of fame and fortune if they do him sexual favours or hints of the ruining of careers if they don't but it remains to be seen if he will be convicted for his 'casting couch'.
Rock bands and roadies have essentially been doing the same thing since the 60s so if he is convicted expect another surge in complaints from music groupies.

And yes David I am having a quiet day today with more time on my hands than usual so sorry for that. :grin:
By escalates, I was referring to the behavior of sex criminals, not that there has been an overall increase in the behavior. #metoo has helped bring attention to the full scale of the problem, and everything that women have been putting up with silently for so long.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

1205 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:06 pm
nikkiboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:49 pm

By escalates, I was referring to the behavior of sex criminals, not that there has been an overall increase in the behavior. #metoo has helped bring attention to the full scale of the problem, and everything that women have been putting up with silently for so long.
Absolutely and in that respect it has been a success but on the flip side it has also increased the number of false allegations made.
Who'd want to be at university now? in the old days boys and girls both knew the game and how far was acceptable before stopping, now I can foresee a scenario whereby the male has to take several consent forms with him on a date and get them signed prior to every act - "is this OK? - sign here, initial here" romance will officially be dead if that happens.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

nikkiboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:27 pm Who'd want to be at university now? in the old days boys and girls both knew the game and how far was acceptable before stopping, now I can foresee a scenario whereby the male has to take several consent forms with him on a date and get them signed prior to every act - "is this OK? - sign here, initial here" romance will officially be dead if that happens.
It would definately put play to the "sorry love it slipped into the wrong place" excuse with her saying she never agreed to that - although I suppose you could always say "yes you did love, see paragraph 3 clause 4 sub section 1 which allows for a variance of entry of 3 inches"
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

You've convinced me. I'm off to patent a vending machine that dispenses consent forms. I'll have them in pub toilets up and down the country. This time next year, I'll be a millionaire.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:53 pm You've convinced me. I'm off to patent a vending machine that dispenses consent forms. I'll have them in pub toilets up and down the country. This time next year, I'll be a millionaire.
Me too.
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

1205 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:41 am
It is what it is.

If you've got serious medicine, you should keep your diet accordingly.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Case wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:15 pm If you've got serious medicine, you should keep your diet accordingly.
We don't know what happened. It's mental illness. Episodes happen, sometimes it's non-compliance, sometimes it's triggered sometimes, it's just time for a med change.

I agree that he should be judged on his compliance.

After the World Championships he said that he had got a manager to handle more of the admin so that he could focus more on his darts, and I did wonder whether he was "asked" to do that.

https://www.live-darts.com/category/dar ... -20190125/