England Open 14-16 June, Selsey

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Addicks Fan
County Player

Re: England Open 14-16 June, Selsey

Post by Addicks Fan »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:16 am Oh and as an aside, if my sister (for want of an example) had booked good money for a weekend away on the coast with her three kids in August, and was told 10 weeks beforehand that the venue (I assume the big room at Selsey where they play the streamed EDO events is the main entertainment room?) was now being rented out to a bunch of darts players to play a darts tournament for a full three days, she would be spitting feathers.

Not everyone likes darts, you know. To even think its an option for the WDT is sheer lunacy.
You are probably right Ginge, but I still wouldn't be surprised if he asked!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Addicks Fan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 am
Ginge wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:16 am Oh and as an aside, if my sister (for want of an example) had booked good money for a weekend away on the coast with her three kids in August, and was told 10 weeks beforehand that the venue (I assume the big room at Selsey where they play the streamed EDO events is the main entertainment room?) was now being rented out to a bunch of darts players to play a darts tournament for a full three days, she would be spitting feathers.

Not everyone likes darts, you know. To even think its an option for the WDT is sheer lunacy.
You are probably right Ginge, but I still wouldn't be surprised if he asked!
Also wouldnt surprised me if he also asked Lakeside, who will have weddings booked all August no doubt.
Big Jock Knew
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:04 am
Addicks Fan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am

1. Is Des/BDO desperate for a venue for the World Trophy? Yes
No no no no he has all venues sorted and they will all have glitz and glamour, are you calling Des a liar?
If only Preston Guild Hall hadn't gone bust eh? His excuse is already there. Does anybody know if it has been 'rescued'?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

We are merely guessing that Preston was the venue anyway. If it was, it would have been announced weeks ago surely.
Big Jock Knew
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Addicks Fan wrote:

No no no no he has all venues sorted and they will all have glitz and glamour, are you calling Des a liar?
If only Preston Guild Hall hadn't gone bust eh? His excuse is already there. Does anybody know if it has been 'rescued'?
I believe yes but promoters need to renegotiate terms with the new owners.

As I said before I presume the old prices to hire were uneconomic hence it going bust. New prices are probably much higher especially if someone else interested in the dates.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

malcy93 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:37 am
Addicks Fan wrote:

I believe yes but promoters need to renegotiate terms with the new owners.

As I said before I presume the old prices to hire were uneconomic hence it going bust. New prices are probably much higher especially if someone else interested in the dates.
It's also a safe bet that if the new owner has anything about him he will have had a look at what ticket sales were like last time the BDO held an event there.
Then watch the cost of room hire go up as they realise what a pittance they're going to take over the bar.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

I’m sure it will hit home soon that these events are just not of interest to the casual darts fan anymore.
At least, not enough to actually buy a ticket rather than watch a stream/low budget tv production.
They need to go back to square one.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

"So what did you do during the school holidays, little Tilly?"

"We went to Selsey, Miss! We had a lovely time! We saw Darryl Fitton fall off a hoverboard, someone who looked like a waiter dishing out slaps, and lots and lots of men drinking lots and lots of beer and being sick, Miss"
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:52 pm TOURNAMENT VENUES
One of our most embarrassing issues is the sort of venue we choose, I’m looking at more upmarket and well-appointed venues with glitz and glamour in easily accessible areas of the Country, after all we are the BRITISH DARTS ORGANISATION and should try and lead by example, I have already negotiated several great venues to replace existing ones along with new competitions with high incentive sponsorship.
oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I'm not actually sure Des could make himself look more of a fool at the moment if he tried. If there are good reasons why deals have fallen through then he just needs to be honest (e.g. Preston, if it was booked, would have been fine and its not his fault it went bust)
but silence is deafening, it makes him look a liar - which I think he probably isnt it - but unless he starts to actually explain and communicate (which he also promised to do) then it just looks so bad.
I just can't see how the WDT can be saved now , wherever it is, ticket sales, on the last weekend of school holidays will be dire.
He can certainly still save face by sorting out the Masters. But surely to god not at Selsey. (Lakeside will be at Lakeside, I would put my mortgage on it).
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Skewball wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:20 pm
One of our most embarrassing issues is the sort of venue we choose, I’m looking at more upmarket and well-appointed venues with glitz and glamour in easily accessible areas of the Country, after all we are the BRITISH DARTS ORGANISATION and should try and lead by example, I have already negotiated several great venues to replace existing ones along with new competitions with high incentive sponsorship.
oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I'm not actually sure Des could make himself look more of a fool at the moment if he tried. If there are good reasons why deals have fallen through then he just needs to be honest (e.g. Preston, if it was booked, would have been fine and its not his fault it went bust)
but silence is deafening, it makes him look a liar - which I think he probably isnt it - but unless he starts to actually explain and communicate (which he also promised to do) then it just looks so bad.
I just can't see how the WDT can be saved now , wherever it is, ticket sales, on the last weekend of school holidays will be dire.
He can certainly still save face by sorting out the Masters. But surely to god not at Selsey. (Lakeside will be at Lakeside, I would put my mortgage on it).
Masters at Selsey at least makes more sense - its in October but saying that, it might even be in half term. Cant imagine a huge demand to stay there at that time of year though!
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:27 pm
Skewball wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:20 pm
oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Masters at Selsey at least makes more sense - its in October but saying that, it might even be in half term. Cant imagine a huge demand to stay there at that time of year though!
it might make sense from a desperation point of view but as for 'Glamour' 'Glitz' 'easily-accessible' etc then it's an embarrassment and he will be a laughing stock if its held there.
and yes, it is Half Term
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Ha, just gets better and better
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

You tell em ginge, a holiday camp is no place for a darts tournament......
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Well done for totally ignoring everything I said up to this point. Out of season = fine. Organised a year or so in advance so that normal families cant book the same weekend and get caught in the crossfire of dart players throwing up everywhere = fine.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Sarky reply from Chris incoming.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:53 pm
nikkiboy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Well done for totally ignoring everything I said up to this point. Out of season = fine. Organised a year or so in advance so that normal families cant book the same weekend and get caught in the crossfire of dart players throwing up everywhere = fine.
Dangerous that projectile vomit.
You can have somebody's eye out.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I wasnt wrong.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

I wonder if you can get holiday insurance for it?
Or losing your deposit for your nespresso machine.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Chris, tell us where you are going on holiday mate, and the week before you arrive I will arrange for the hotel you are staying in to play host to the European Shit and Sp*nk Fetish Weekender.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Actually you would probably enjoy that. Will have to think of something else.
Big Jock Knew