PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 9th-17th November 2019- Wolverhampton

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Deleted User

Re: PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 9th-17th November 2019- Wolverhampton

Post by Deleted User »

devosteve wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 pm
Dannyboy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:58 pm Get the scoreboard up Paddy...

In all seriousness, this could finally be the rod that breaks the camels back with this event.
Guess we need to see how tonight goes. I think most agree what makes this event is having the bdo lads in. But if 4 defeats tonight you do wonder if the pdc will start to re think this event.
I've always liked the cross code element.

I'm sure the PDC want genuine competition, but it has to be worth leaving the BDO lads in for comedy value alone.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:37 pm Duzza just said he thought he was a pdc player so doesn’t understand why it’s said he’s playing for the bdo

Was asked again and said he’s representing the pdc and not the bdo

Then went on a rant about Smiths recent comments
I didn't get Smith's comments was he defending the BDO player that lost their place?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

Definitely a bit of needle between smith and Durrant. I’ve no idea what smith says in any interview.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

County Player

Post by 1205 »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:37 pm Duzza just said he thought he was a pdc player so doesn’t understand why it’s said he’s playing for the bdo

Was asked again and said he’s representing the pdc and not the bdo

Then went on a rant about Smiths recent comments
Wait, didn't Durrant say at the WDT that he was a BDO player at heart?
Maybe he's miffed that Jacklin didn't want to pick him.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

devosteve wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 pm
Dannyboy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:58 pm Get the scoreboard up Paddy...

In all seriousness, this could finally be the rod that breaks the camels back with this event.
Guess we need to see how tonight goes. I think most agree what makes this event is having the bdo lads in. But if 4 defeats tonight you do wonder if the pdc will start to re think this event.
The Grand Slam is useful for giving BDO players a taste of what they could get if they moved to the PDC. The PDC wants all the best players in the PDC, so there's value in dangling a carrot. The promotion of the women's game is also useful to try to grow the game into something unique.

But, the BDO has weakened, and its ranking system is shit, so the PDC needs to cut numbers and focus more on the major winners so you don't end up with players like Parletti playing. Parletti hasn't even made a BDO major quarter final, FFS.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

When the Grand Slam first started it had Gary Anderson coming in as BDO player on the back of his WDT and IDL wins against PDC players.... The event had genuine needle and genuine rivalry.. The BDO representation today is so weak in comparison to years gone by that it does take a lot of shine off the event... and the BDO ranking system doesn't help as well.. That's a mess..

I would keep the event though.. I'd include Euro Tour winners as qualifiers but I still think there is a place for the BDO in this but its a shadow of its past as a genuine cross code rivalry because there isn't any genuine cross code rivalry any more.
Bomber
Superleague Player

Post by Bomber »

it's the FA cup of darts, where the non-league teams get to play with the pros and stand a slim chance of earning more money than they would otherwise be able to
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Parletti not making a major quarter final as mentioned by 1205 above does show the weakness of the bdo system.

If the pdc had chosen the finalists of the 3 bdo finals would there be better players though? You could have 1 hit wonders in.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

trotter01 wrote:When the Grand Slam first started it had Gary Anderson coming in as BDO player on the back of his WDT and IDL wins against PDC players.... The event had genuine needle and genuine rivalry.. The BDO representation today is so weak in comparison to years gone by that it does take a lot of shine off the event... and the BDO ranking system doesn't help as well.. That's a mess..

I would keep the event though.. I'd include Euro Tour winners as qualifiers but I still think there is a place for the BDO in this but its a shadow of its past as a genuine cross code rivalry because there isn't any genuine cross code rivalry any more.
For me I’d make it an actual champions of champions event

All 3 world champions
All pdc major winners
Bdo masters and wdt winner
Challenge tour number 1
Youth winner
Euro tour winners

Then if your not at 30 go to pro tour winners and wsod winners

Then a completely open qualifier for 2 spots
Kyeavfc
The Ton Club

Post by Kyeavfc »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:33 pm
trotter01 wrote:When the Grand Slam first started it had Gary Anderson coming in as BDO player on the back of his WDT and IDL wins against PDC players.... The event had genuine needle and genuine rivalry.. The BDO representation today is so weak in comparison to years gone by that it does take a lot of shine off the event... and the BDO ranking system doesn't help as well.. That's a mess..

For me I’d make it an actual champions of champions event

All 3 world champions
All pdc major winners
Bdo masters and wdt winner
Challenge tour number 1
Youth winner
Euro tour winners

Then if your not at 30 go to pro tour winners and wsod winners

Then a completely open qualifier for 2 spots

95% of the forum plus players believes the gsod selection criteria is massively floored... out of all the options I’ve seen I like the above, BDO maximum of 4 players and move Euro winners above runner up positions, in addition to the above include development tour number 1 (replace youth runner up) and overall floor player number 1.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

What I would do is have bdo world pro winner wdt and master then next highest not in 4 bdo players then 4 qualifiers so can add euro tour winners
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

devosteve wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:30 pm Parletti not making a major quarter final as mentioned by 1205 above does show the weakness of the bdo system.

If the pdc had chosen the finalists of the 3 bdo finals would there be better players though? You could have 1 hit wonders in.

Well the only additions in your suggestion would be Waites and John O’Shea, the later should be there as a World Master anyway. They of course would both add to the event.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

Harms the great white hype and BDO #1 losing to Steve Lennon.

It’s great he’s found his level, will make a decent player on the challenge tour.

Some on here thought he would qualify from the group. As I’ve said, he’s the worst BDO #1 in history.
Last edited by ssjsa on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by Admin.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

The mid-carders of PDC are absolutely fucking loving playing the best the BDO has to offer, it’s a great confidence boost getting easy wins in a major.

Parletti’s biggest win to date was that go fund me page.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

TheSandman wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:56 pm
fraggles on here

Summed yourself there perfectly :grin:
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

This is embarrassing
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

Is it 13-1???

I’ve lost count
craigmc
Superleague Player

Post by craigmc »

It's getting grim for Team BDO. Still a decent payday and some TV exposure for them individually if nowt else