2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
devosteve
International

Re: PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 9th-17th November 2019- Wolverhampton

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:03 am Right, just catching up. Can we get a full list of people please who are apparently seething that BDO players are currently losing 17-3 (or 16-1 or 11-1, depending how you like to count)? I am confused.
If folks do want a serious look at how the top bdo lads have done in this event then the 11-1 figure is the best one.

Take out the 2 ladies and also durrant (who to be honest has been a good representation for the 'position of BDO world champion'. I agree he should have been included in this event as a BDO representative but the reality is that he has played in the PDC system all year).

Thus, apart form some folk just point scoring against the BDO, its not been good for the BDO men.

If all 3 lose tonight I do wonder what the PDC will do next year.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Expect Williams to give Fatpot a game, why he is 13/10 outsider I have no idea.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

that '1' was against a PDC player outside the top 50.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

The Grand Slam of darts is finished if this continues. The BDO was able to send Hankey, Waites, Anderson, Chisnall, Fitton, Whitlock, Webster, O'Shea, Kist, Adams.... this is now beyond embarrassing. The worst ever.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Murphio wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:49 pm The Grand Slam of darts is finished if this continues. The BDO was able to send Hankey, Waites, Anderson, Chisnall, Fitton, Whitlock, Webster, O'Shea, Kist, Adams.... this is now beyond embarrassing. The worst ever.
One would think definitely in the current format. As I articulated in an earlier post, I have always been an advocate of BDO representation in this event as that is the Usp of the GSOD, but last night was the straw that broke the camel's back in relation to 8 spots for the BDO.

For me the qualifying criteria needs to bd seriously looked at, with all Euro Tour and PC winners automatically included. BDO representation cut to 4 as below, with all remaining places within the 32 going to the PDC qualifier.

Winner of both the BDO Ladies and Mens W/C
Winner of Masters
Winner of WDT

devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

ssjsa wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:07 pm
Murphio wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:49 pm The Grand Slam of darts is finished if this continues. The BDO was able to send Hankey, Waites, Anderson, Chisnall, Fitton, Whitlock, Webster, O'Shea, Kist, Adams.... this is now beyond embarrassing. The worst ever.
One would think definitely in the current format. As I articulated in an earlier post, I have always been an advocate of BDO representation in this event as that is the Usp of the GSOD, but last night was the straw that broke the camel's back in relation to 8 spots for the BDO.

For me the qualifying criteria needs to bd seriously looked at, with all Euro Tour and PC winners automatically included. BDO representation cut to 4 as below, with all remaining places within the 32 going to the PDC qualifier.

Winner of Masters
Winner of WDT
Not seen any of the games. Were the bdo players that bad?
A case of outplayed of a case of they played rubbish.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Warren was absolutely atrocious last night.
Big Jock Knew
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Broke his hand 8 weeks ago, shouldn't have bothered turning up.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

He’s hardly likely to turn down the PDC coin is he
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

devosteve wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:15 pm
ssjsa wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Winner of Masters
Winner of WDT
Not seen any of the games. Were the bdo players that bad?
A case of outplayed of a case of they played rubbish.
They had all already been poor. Veenstra steamrollered, Ashton well below par, and was expecting much more from Warren. They failed to perform under pressure in their first 2 matches, but were already out and under no pressure, but were poor.

My thinking is not meant as a personal criticism of the players per say, but an observation that the representation of players currently playing within the BDO system is now detrimental to the event and this needs addressed before next year.

Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ssjsa wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:24 pm

My thinking is not meant as a personal criticism of the players per say, but an observation that the representation of players currently playing within the BDO system is now detrimental to the event and this needs addressed before next year.
Just needs a chnage of mentality - Everyone (mainly the BDO ) needs to accept that they are the Amateur side. These players should be advertised as the plucky pub/county players going up against the pros to snatch legs and a few wins. It would work fine but SKY don't take this angle because of course it would upset the BDO. So invite 4 + the women + a proper youth player (e.g. bennett) + a soft darts player or something. Maybe even shorten format (best of 7). so a more brutal news of the world style.
Can still work if everyone uses their brains
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Skewball wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:24 pm
ssjsa wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Just needs a chnage of mentality - Everyone (mainly the BDO ) needs to accept that they are the Amateur side. These players should be advertised as the plucky pub/county players going up against the pros to snatch legs and a few wins. It would work fine but SKY don't take this angle because of course it would upset the BDO. So invite 4 + the women + a proper youth player (e.g. bennett) + a soft darts player or something. Maybe even shorten format (best of 7). so a more brutal news of the world style.
Can still work if everyone uses their brains
I'm not sure it can work; I don't see there being any way to market your way out of such a poor playing pool. The novelty factor works with the women but the simple fact is the male participants were absolute rubbish this year. It worked in years past because the BDO could send over quality players and, thanks to coverage on the BBC, household names. The likes of Wayne Warren, Dave Parletti, Nick Kenny*, Richard Veenstra etc etc are a pale shadow of those who represented the BDO in the past. I don't see this situation continuing for much longer when you have dozens of better PDC players sitting at home.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Wow.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Will the BDO still be in financial existence this time next year to even be in the equation of having choice of whom they send ?
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

No. Every year is the BDO's last year. Don't you read?
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

el_ringo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:21 pm Will the BDO still be in financial existence this time next year to even be in the equation of having choice of whom they send ?
Regardless; I do not see Barry Hearn keeping this format as it currently exists given what we have seen this year. Does he continue with the BDO v PDC novelty which is being increasingly diluted year on year or would he rather get Whitlock, Bunting, King, Henderson, Suljovic, Wattimena and other PDC players in there who are sat at home watching this on their sofa? I realise it then becomes just another PDC event - even so it is still a Major, it is ranked and I am not sure the PDC could continue to justify such a lopsided balance in quality.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Murphio wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:48 pm
el_ringo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:21 pm Will the BDO still be in financial existence this time next year to even be in the equation of having choice of whom they send ?
Regardless; I do not see Barry Hearn keeping this format as it currently exists given what we have seen this year. Does he continue with the BDO v PDC novelty which is being increasingly diluted year on year or would he rather get Whitlock, Bunting, King, Henderson, Suljovic, Wattimena and other PDC players in there who are sat at home watching this on their sofa? I realise it then becomes just another PDC event - even so it is still a Major, it is ranked and I am not sure the PDC could continue to justify such a lopsided balance in quality.
Hi Murph.... :WWWW:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »