PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 9th-17th November 2019- Wolverhampton

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 9th-17th November 2019- Wolverhampton

Post by Ginge »

Addicks Fan wrote:
ChrisW wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:06 pm Must be due to announce the BDO 8 shortly.
Won't they wait till after the World Masters?
Why would they do that? Its always ran a year behind hasnt it?
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

a dilemma for des. go along with barry's 'suggestion' and pick Durrant (I wonder if he has held back hoping Durrant would have qualified via a PDC route?) or make his own decision (ie not pick him) but risk upsetting Hearn?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Ginge wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:48 pm
Addicks Fan wrote:
ChrisW wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:06 pm Must be due to announce the BDO 8 shortly.
Won't they wait till after the World Masters?
Why would they do that? Its always ran a year behind hasnt it?
Is that why Smith-Neale played last year then?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Maybe not then. fair enough. However the Masters last year was held 4 (?) weeks before it is being held this, maybe they wont hang around until that is played to get things finalised, the Slam starts less than 2 weeks afterwards.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

I’m going to stick my neck out and say Bennett will not be at this years event unless he’s in the crowd
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:I’m going to stick my neck out and say Bennett will not be at this years event unless he’s in the crowd
Indeed. All of the "rebels" who signed the petition about the Masters and have threatened to withdraw have been told that only people who have played at the Lakeside, the Masters and the WDT this year will be considered for Grand Slam selection by the BDO and that therefore rules Bennett out.

Big Jock Knew
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Personally never thought Durrant, Bennett and Suzuki should have been considered for the BDO picks, however was not sure if Des and his board would be strong enough to back their players and dismiss the overtures from the PDC to include them.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

The PDC should set the criteria - it's their event. I don't know why they leave it up to the BDO which has proven time and again it couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. It's simple - current world champion and runner up, current world master and runner up, Women's champion, youth champion and the next two on the BDO OOM not already picked.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Ginge wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:02 pm
BlueSpark wrote:I’m going to stick my neck out and say Bennett will not be at this years event unless he’s in the crowd
Indeed. All of the "rebels" who signed the petition about the Masters and have threatened to withdraw have been told that only people who have played at the Lakeside, the Masters and the WDT this year will be considered for Grand Slam selection by the BDO and that therefore rules Bennett out.
And means it won't be announced yet. Suzuki still possible though
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Murphio wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:59 pm The PDC should set the criteria - it's their event. I don't know why they leave it up to the BDO which has proven time and again it couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. It's simple - current world champion and runner up, current world master and runner up, Women's champion, youth champion and the next two on the BDO OOM not already picked.
Wasn't the thought that the pdc gave the bdo control of their picks on condition they persuaded Adams to play?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

devosteve wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:14 pm
Murphio wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:59 pm The PDC should set the criteria - it's their event. I don't know why they leave it up to the BDO which has proven time and again it couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. It's simple - current world champion and runner up, current world master and runner up, Women's champion, youth champion and the next two on the BDO OOM not already picked.
Wasn't the thought that the pdc gave the bdo control of their picks on condition they persuaded Adams to play?
I think there was maybe a feeling that by the time the Grand Slam came around the form players in the BDO weren't necessarily their best picks. But the Grand Slam was always about people who were either winners of big events or finalists in big events. This still applies to the PDC but the BDO have a free hand to pick whover they want. To me the same criteria should apply to both codes and should include the winners/finalists of Worlds, Masters, Ladies and youth by right before going to the OOM. Could be wrong here but that would mean as it sits Smith Neale, Durrant, Waites, Suzuki, Bennett, Harms, Williams and Veenstra. To not pick their reigning world champion would be absolutely bizarre.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Murphio wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:27 pm
I think there was maybe a feeling that by the time the Grand Slam came around the form players in the BDO weren't necessarily their best picks. But the Grand Slam was always about people who were either winners of big events or finalists in big events. This still applies to the PDC but the BDO have a free hand to pick whover they want. To me the same criteria should apply to both codes and should include the winners/finalists of Worlds, Masters, Ladies and youth by right before going to the OOM. Could be wrong here but that would mean as it sits Smith Neale, Durrant, Waites, Suzuki, Bennett, Harms, Williams and Veenstra. To not pick their reigning world champion would be absolutely bizarre.
Just my take, but the BDO players are what differentiates this tournament from every other PDC one, and the BDO should be entitled to pick those players within their organisation whom they believe gives them the greatest chance of success. Durrant is no longer a BDO player, therefore the board imo should be looking after those players who are still within their own system.

In relation to the PDC, they have now made the GSOD a ranking tournament so are bound by the current agreement with the PDPA to allocate a number of places to the qualifier. One thing we all agree is that not enough Euro Tour and PC winners get a place by right and the PDC need to rectify this but cutting the number of places allocated to the Qualifying tournament.

Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ssjsa wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:59 pm
Just my take, but the BDO players are what differentiates this tournament from every other PDC one, and the BDO should be entitled to pick those players within their organisation whom they believe gives them the greatest chance of success. Durrant is no longer a BDO player, therefore the board imo should be looking after those players who are still within their own system.
Yeah I can see that argument but now that the contractual restrictions have been binned you could have a situation, year in year out, where the BDO World champion and or World Master are no longer in that system by the time the Slam comes about. Whatever the case I think they need to decide on a criteria and stick to it - it should be transparent. If it's the top eight in the OOM, say so. If it's other criteria, set it in stone at the start of the season. It should not be open for Des to just select who he likes.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Most BDO world champions who decide to switch will not make the pdc criteria. So definitely should be part of the rules. PDC need to make it a rule then no discussion.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Murphio wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 pm
ssjsa wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:59 pm
Yeah I can see that argument but now that the contractual restrictions have been binned you could have a situation, year in year out, where the BDO World champion and or World Master are no longer in that system by the time the Slam comes about. Whatever the case I think they need to decide on a criteria and stick to it - it should be transparent. If it's the top eight in the OOM, say so. If it's other criteria, set it in stone at the start of the season. It should not be open for Des to just select who he likes.
Surely being able to win Lakeside, bank your 100k and try QSchool , knowing full well should you fail to qualify, you can play Challenge Tour and still remain within the BDO system, is a great opportunity which has been presented to you by the BDO board changing their rules.

However should you qualify from Q School as a result of those change of rules, and thus leaving the BDO, why would you expect to be given 1 of the 8 places given to the BDO when you are no longer part of that organisation. You can't have your cake and eat it.

oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ginge wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:02 pm
Yep ive been told this and the list of players who are planning to boycott the event

Some are not in the top 16.... Its pathetic anyway
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Whatever you want it hasn't been like that for a while, and if the PDC are going to give 8 places to qualifiers and state that the field will contain 8 representatives from the BDO system, then don't be surprised if they don't pick someone who doesn't play in their system.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

How about this.....

A clause in the criteria. If BDO WC has made the switch and gains a Q School tour card. They get an automatic place as a PDC entry and 7 places up for grabs in the PDC qualifiers.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Addicks Fan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:48 pm
Whatever you want it hasn't been like that for a while, and if the PDC are going to give 8 places to qualifiers and state that the field will contain 8 representatives from the BDO system, then don't be surprised if they don't pick someone who doesn't play in their system.
As I have articulated in my posts on this thread, I completely agree with Addicks Fan. Why would the BDO show such disrespect for their own players by picking Durrant, unless pressure was being applied by the PDC.

oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Exactly. Durrant should be there but not as a BDO pick.
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021