Des Jacklins letter to the counties

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Skewball
International

Re: Des Jacklins letter to the counties

Post by Skewball »

Paddy McGinty wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:32 am
Ginge wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:20 am Yes, well done to Des for keeping a loss making event going without a sponsor because he is being strangled by a TV contract he claimed he negotiated himself, he is a business genius.
If your hands are tied what else can one do, shame you can't comprehend that simple fact........
He knew his hands were tied 6 months ago!!
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Skewball listened well to the Radio Lincs interview.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Rebrand the world trophy
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:36 am Skewball listened well to the Radio Lincs interview.
?? what two of hours of Des? err, no I really didnt lol
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Skewball wrote:
ChrisW wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:36 am Skewball listened well to the Radio Lincs interview.
?? what two of hours of Des? err, no I really didnt lol
Three hours.
Big Jock Knew
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Skewball wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 am
Ginge wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:20 am Yes, well done to Des for keeping a loss making event going without a sponsor because he is being strangled by a TV contract he claimed he negotiated himself, he is a business genius.
exactly, and, if he knew he was going to have to hold the event, why wait until this week to book a venue!!! Its crazy !

I mean, this guy is seriously lacking in basic business acumen. Running a bar and doing up and renting out flats does NOT make you a good business man necessarily.
So far he has proved his shortcomings.
He had a venue, it went bust - a little bit out of his control don't you think?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Addicks Fan wrote:
exactly, and, if he knew he was going to have to hold the event, why wait until this week to book a venue!!! Its crazy !

I mean, this guy is seriously lacking in basic business acumen. Running a bar and doing up and renting out flats does NOT make you a good business man necessarily.
How do we actually know it was meant to be in Preston?
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:49 am
Addicks Fan wrote:

Because if it wasn't meant to be in Preston, then there's a possibility some of the blame for this could be pinned on Des.

Come on, you know how this works by now.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Preston only went "bust" on the 5th June, so if it was there why was it not announced before this?
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Addicks Fan wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 am

err, where is the evidence for this? and that was bloody ages ago. No excuse for how he handled this
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Skewball wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 am
Addicks Fan wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 am

err, where is the evidence for this? and that was bloody ages ago. No excuse for how he handled this
Come on you can hardly blame him, he is on vacation. :COMP2:
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

The wolfs keep coming, they want blood, no respite for poor old Des.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Paddy McGinty wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:36 am The wolfs keep coming, they want blood, no respite for poor old Des.
Des will not falter. The jealous haters mean nothing in the bigger scheme of things.
UKDA 4 Life
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Addicks Fan wrote:

We don't, but then again we don't know it wasn't. Perfect excuse, as has been discussed in the World Trophy thread. And who knows, it may turn out to be true.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Addicks Fan wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:08 pm
Addicks Fan wrote:

We don't, but then again we don't know it wasn't. Perfect excuse, as has been discussed in the World Trophy thread. And who knows, it may turn out to be true.
I think he would have used that excuse by now if true. Anyway, its a pathetic excuse.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Addicks Fan wrote:

Still doesnt explain why the venue wasnt announced, and tickets on sale, if it was 100% confirmed there. And as Skewy said, he would have let slip, probably on that BBC Radio Lincs abomination of a show.
Big Jock Knew
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm
Addicks Fan wrote:

Still doesnt explain why the venue wasnt announced, and tickets on sale, if it was 100% confirmed there. And as Skewy said, he would have let slip, probably on that BBC Radio Lincs abomination of a show.
Do we know when problems with Preston Guild Hall first surfaced (as opposed to when it went bust)?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

No idea, but why deal with a venue that was having "difficulties" in the first place if that was the case?

I think you are clutching at straws a bit here.

Big Jock Knew
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Ginge wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:34 pm No idea, but why deal with a venue that was having "difficulties" in the first place if that was the case?

I think you are clutching at straws a bit here.
Not me, just trying to put myself in the shoes of a new Chairman taking over an inept and incompetent organisation whose reputation is in tatters. I don't see why the idea that he would try to take it back to Preston and hold on for as long as possible before trying to get somewhere else is so unlikely. Not saying its the right thing to do, but then again when you are near rock bottom...
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Having been involved in the BDO for too many years, only a fool would not have realised the company was going down the toilet, bad decisions, bad management, and lack of direction from the leadership, and lack of understanding from the members, that times have changed, that to run a successful company, you need to be able to react to commercial situations as they arise. The archaic understanding of this principle, where most counties don’t care what’s happening to the company outside the BICC, yet demand that nothing moves without due process, however when you are facing going out of business without dealing with the problems immediately, convening a meeting several months down the line to gain permission for one form of action or another, is suicide. I don’t know what contracts have been signed and by whom, however nothing seems to move in real time, whether that be the current Board, which I doubt or its commercial partners and the contracts they have with them. If however the current contracts are putting the company at risk, then perhaps closing everything down and starting again as BDO2019 might be the only sensible action to contemplate."

What do we think of tt point of maybe restarting the bdo with a clean slate?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.