Chaos and disaster-2019 One80 LStyle World Masters (Oct 25-27) Venue-Circus Tavern

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
malcy93
Pub Champion

Re: One80 LStyle World Masters (Oct 25-27) Venue-Circus Tavern

Post by malcy93 »

foggs3355 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:27 pm
ChrisW wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:08 pm Makes it hard to travel from the other side of the world when the potential prize money doesn't justify the travel costs.

I agree and they not even said the word masters prize fund is still 60k
With no what I call “proper” sponsor as don’t count a darts manufacturer as no evidence they are giving them serious cash I can see why the prize funds must be in danger. The BDO can’t afford to top them up forever.

It does though make it uneconomic for Australian, North American, Asian players to come over. Makes much more sense for them to try the PDC WC qualifier as doesn’t their WC pay something like £10k to the preliminary round losers.

The BDO need to seriously cut their cloth to the economics of where they are with no cash rich sponsors like the bookies the PDC get. The £100k to the Men’s WC must be completely unaffordable. Surely it should be more than £25k and other players and rounds scaled down from there.

All this means the BDO becomes a U.K. and Europe tour as others can’t afford it from potential prize money unless they base here or have a very wealthy sponsor.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Word going round that people are being invited to play in the World Masters who havent qualified
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

oche balboa wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:33 pm Word going round that people are being invited to play in the World Masters who havent qualified
It's all kicking off on Fanatics about that.. Players not happy.. Even Scott Mitchell says its a new low for the BDO.. The Europeans are fuming..

All going well then....
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:Word going round that people are being invited to play in the World Masters who havent qualified
Such as?

There was always the "sponsors wildcards" route, no idea if this was removed in a more recent rules revision.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

oche balboa wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:33 pm Word going round that people are being invited to play in the World Masters who havent qualified
:DDD:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Someone show Mitchell this and tell him to stop moaning like a girl, they can invite who they want

http://www.bdodarts.com/images/bdo-cont ... iteria.pdf

Far as I recall this has ALWAYS been the case.

Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Depends who and how many folk have been invited. If it's just to boost numbers not good. If it's mates of the board then that's bad news.

But if sponsors have invited a'big' name then what can you do?

Also re the rule above. Always been there it says but always implemented?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Yes i remember Fordham getting a sponsors invite in one of the periods between him being good and average. Bet no player cried about it then.

The rule is there, they can invite whoever they want and there is no cap on numbers, everyone should stop crying over it.

Last edited by Ginge on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Frankly they could invite anyone, won’t make it much more appealing.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:Frankly they could invite anyone, won’t make it much more appealing.
Well exactly, which stellar names who arent a) PDC players, and b) already in the top 128 of the rankings are actually missing?

Idiots. If they are inviting a few j0bbers from somewhere they get knocked out first game and everyone moves on.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Has someone posted those rules onto the crying thread yet?
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

trotter01 wrote:
It's all kicking off on Fanatics about that.. Players not happy.. Even Scott Mitchell says its a new low for the BDO.. The Europeans are fuming..

All going well then....
Ah just read this properly....so L Style are clearly inviting some Jappodarts exponents then. So what?
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Ah so!
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I don't think the issue is sponsors invites.. It seems that players who have tried and failed to qualify are getting calls asking them to play... If so that cannot be right.... Sponsors invites are one thing.. Actually losing and still getting an invite can't be right..

It's not going to make a bit of difference to fans though.. It can't be big names involved that's going to cause people to dash for tickets or tune in the TV who weren't going to..
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Even if they were some of the top players (and I use that term very loosely) I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if only a couple got through to the televised stages.
What’s left in the BDO is broadly similar in ability as they can all produce county standard darts, which is what the viewer will be getting.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

trotter01 wrote:I don't think the issue is sponsors invites.. It seems that players who have tried and failed to qualify are getting calls asking them to play... If so that cannot be right.... Sponsors invites are one thing.. Actually losing and still getting an invite can't be right..

It's not going to make a bit of difference to fans though.. It can't be big names involved that's going to cause people to dash for tickets or tune in the TV who weren't going to..
So no different to Fordham then a few years back. They can invite whoever they want.

Note that the top 128 in the rankings get in. Who are these stellar names Mitchell et al are scared of?
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Someone should check with Sally and ask if Bob has been invited as he more than fits the criteria

Wasn't Bobby George always getting a sponsors invite to this ? or am I thinking of the World's qualifying ?
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

el_ringo wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:56 pm Someone should check with Sally and ask if Bob has been invited as he more than fits the criteria

Wasn't Bobby George always getting a sponsors invite to this ? or am I thinking of the World's qualifying ?
He got a sponsors invitation for the Masters.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:
el_ringo wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:56 pm Someone should check with Sally and ask if Bob has been invited as he more than fits the criteria

He got a sponsors invitation for the Masters.
Bet nobody moaned about that on Fanatics
Big Jock Knew
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

I thought previous winners and World Champions were invited for life?