The now Unofficial and Unsanctioned BDO "Worlds" Tickets 2020 Updates

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
trotter01
Pub Champion

Re: The now Unofficial and Unsanctioned BDO "Worlds" Tickets 2020 Updates

Post by trotter01 »

So while the BDO is weathering this storm and taking a few years for the indigo to get established, where is it going to find the prize funds required at current levels for its events?...
TimmyB
County Player

Post by TimmyB »

Wazza180 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:41 am
Dannyboy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:08 am
Wazza180 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:26 am Just to bring you all up to speed.

Some of the sponsors and players haven't bought tickets yet. I have had this confirmed by a few players. So expect a steady rush of sales before opening night.

I admit it is going to take a few years to build an audience at the O2 Vertigo. We all knew this. To be honest the previous administration should have moved the world championship to a more modern venue years ago when the BDO brand was stronger. It's going to be a rough few years for the BDO, but if they weather the storm they could recover and get back to a decent place.

If not, then darts suffers as a result. I don't get why so many of the posters on this bulletin board want the BDO to go under. It provides an outlet for the players to make a bit of dough and prepares them for life in the PDC. It would be bad for the game if it does go bust. But let's face it, I am probably wasting my time with this post.
Wayne,
I genuinely don't think people want the BDO to fail as such. I'd like to think most darts fans realise that the BDO and the county officials at the grassroots level is important for the way darts is administered in this country. The main reason for people's frustrations is those at the highest level in positions of power and the way they have conducted themselves over the past months.

That said, there needs to be a huge overhaul, under the PDC umbrella, or affiliated to the PDC in some way. The grassroots level can be sustainable, but the County system should not be there for professionals - they should be for secondary or development players who need it to improve before they can give the top level a try.

The BDO at the top level is dead. The quicker people realise that and stop wasting money on events that will incur heavy losses. To even be discussing whether the prize money will actually be paid out is ridiculous. The BDO could be bankrupt within a few months.

I'd like to think that a result of this crisis is that the reunification of the game can finally happen.
Des is working 80-90 hour weeks and with the situation he took it on in, I think anyone would struggle.

Oh and I disagree that people don't want the BDO to fail. Some on this bulletin board, we all know who they are, seem to take great pleasure being negative about all things BDO.

It's also funny that people on here seem to think they know all about the BDO's finances. I don't know the situation. Neither do the players I have spoken with.

I'll leave it there for now.
Dear Sirs Wayne

I'm intending to go to one of the mid-week evening sessions with a few mates but haven't booked yet.

Are there any plans to reduce the tickets prices? The reason being, I'm sure that we will be spending a fair bit at the bar which will help placate the Indigo because without any income for them they may just bin the 2021 event.

Yours in Darts

TimmyB
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

I'm more interested to know how you can equate working 80-90 hours a week when you have been in Tenerife sunning it up for a week ?

and part of that laid up in hospital ?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Quite sure it was Robson with another multiple.
Big Jock Knew
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

Although working those sort of hours would go some way to explaining why he has his Mrs cold calling players telling them what tournaments they can and can't enter.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

el_ringo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 am I'm more interested to know how you can equate working 80-90 hours a week when you have been in Tenerife sunning it up for a week ?

Work doesn't stop because you are on holiday. Welcome to the year 2019 where emails and mobile phones exist. I am just saying that Jacklin inherited a situation that anyone would struggle to handle.

I'm not defending the BDO or its current administration as such. I just don't understand why so many on this board, and other darts exchanges, take so much joy in the BDO's struggles. It's more than a bit nasty and the BDO folding would not help anyone, Still it takes all sorts to make the world.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Wazza180 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:24 am Work doesn't stop because you are on holiday. Welcome to the year 2019 where emails and mobile phones exist. I am just saying that Jacklin inherited a situation that anyone would struggle to handle.

I'm not defending the BDO or its current administration as such. I just don't understand why so many on this board, and other darts exchanges, take so much joy in the BDO's struggles. It's more than a bit nasty and the BDO folding would not help anyone, Still it takes all sorts to make the world.
The amount of work is irrelevant it's what is done and how its done in the time that is relevant I would wager a rather large sum that Matt Porter Or Barry Hearn actually achieve and produce more in 1 hour of work for the PDC than Walter Mitty Jacklin will ever manage in a week,month,year,lifetime (delete as appropriate)

He also didn't inherit anything he stood of his own free will to power grab the position after spending years trying to manipulate the 'scene'. He was also fully aware of the situation when he announced his final act of a usurper as he had been involved in shadowing the role for a significant period beforehand
TheVillan
The Ton Club

Post by TheVillan »

Wazza180 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:24 am
Work doesn't stop because you are on holiday. Welcome to the year 2019 where emails and mobile phones exist. I am just saying that Jacklin inherited a situation that anyone would struggle to handle.

If the situation was that dire, then why was the decision made to move away from a secure, if not exactly inspired, position at the Lakeside?

Business genius to have loads of things that need resolution to then choose to add to the list...
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

TheVillan wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:41 am

If the situation was that dire, then why was the decision made to move away from a secure, if not exactly inspired, position at the Lakeside?

Business genius to have loads of things that need resolution to then choose to add to the list...
No, I agree that the World Championship should not have been moved from Lakeside this season.

Still, the previous administration should have made the move 3 or 4 years earlier. Had they done that they could have built up an audience at a new and more modern location and none of this would be a problem now. Some of the players have said all this in private.

I'm just saying that it is easy to be critical of Jacklin and the BDO from our POV. We don't know the situation and we don't know what is around the corner. I only really took issue with some posters claiming that ticket sales were not going to pick up, when I know that they will given what some of the players have told me. That is all.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

el_ringo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 am I'm more interested to know how you can equate working 80-90 hours a week when you have been in Tenerife sunning it up for a week ?

No-one is advocating the BDO folding but thankfully the people on "this board" have their eyes a bit more open than the sycophants the BDO are used to. The people on this board attend events, play in events and organise events, the people on this board outed Warren Brown as a fraud and saved the BDO a few years ago from jumping into bed with him. The people on this board have sponsored events and players like Justin Pipe, Kong and Ana. The people on this board have more knowledge and ideas than the last two lots of BDO boards and the people on this board, most importantly, tell it like it is and don't bow down to peer pressure and threats.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Wazza180 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:47 am

No, I agree that the World Championship should not have been moved from Lakeside this season.

Still, the previous administration should have made the move 3 or 4 years earlier. Had they done that they could have built up an audience at a new and more modern location and none of this would be a problem now. Some of the players have said all this in private.

I'm just saying that it is easy to be critical of Jacklin and the BDO from our POV. We don't know the situation and we don't know what is around the corner. I only really took issue with some posters claiming that ticket sales were not going to pick up, when I know that they will given what some of the players have told me. That is all.
Okay, let's pretend for a moment you're being on the level here.

Let's say ticket sales do indeed pick up over the next couple of weeks as all the players' friends and families put their hands in their pockets.

Explain how this is going to be of any help for the BDO going forward.

The BDO have moved all their so-called majors to new venues (let's not waste time arguing whether it was right to do so, or should have been done earlier, because it's happened and this is what they're dealing with), they've got a multi-year broadcast contract with a broadcaster who has to be kept happy with the product on offer, you've got relatively large prize funds to stump up, and no sponsor to pay for any of it.

If literally the only silver lining you can find in all this is "once the players' nearest and dearest buy a few tickets, ticket uptake will be above 10% of capacity" then it's probably fair to say the game's up.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

nikkiboy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:35 pm

No-one is advocating the BDO folding but thankfully the people on "this board" have their eyes a bit more open than the sycophants the BDO are used to. The people on this board attend events, play in events and organise events, the people on this board outed Warren Brown as a fraud and saved the BDO a few years ago from jumping into bed with him. The people on this board have sponsored events and players like Justin Pipe, Kong and Ana. The people on this board have more knowledge and ideas than the last two lots of BDO boards and the people on this board, most importantly, tell it like it is and don't bow down to peer pressure and threats.
:DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD:
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

LETS HAVE A FUCKING PARTY
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

oche balboa wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:40 pm LETS HAVE A fekkin PARTY
No, no, no!

It's not a party but the "greatest show on earth "!

Either way you are banned (or not ).
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
TheVillan
The Ton Club

Post by TheVillan »

Ain't no party like a Des club party?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

TheVillan wrote:
Ain't no party like a Des club party?
Paula's picking up the phone
Darryl is having a moan
Scott is walking slow to the board
While Ross is kicking down a door
Wanna see Leighton strop
Wanna see Dave do not a lot
Then we got Des, nowt in his head
Get ready everybody 'cos here we go!

Big Jock Knew
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Nikki, I never said that there aren't good folk on here. I am sure many of you have poured money into the game.

Still, I am yet to be convinced that the negativity on this and other boards toward the BDO helps matters. This board has a reputation in the darting universe as being anti-BDO. If you don't believe me read what people say about this forum on Digital Spy and Facebook groups. Or talk to some of the players.

I know I am wasting my time here. Just wanted to share some information I had been told. Probably should have left it at that. My mistake.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:35 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:47 am

Okay, let's pretend for a moment you're being on the level here.

Let's say ticket sales do indeed pick up over the next couple of weeks as all the players' friends and families put their hands in their pockets.

Explain how this is going to be of any help for the BDO going forward.

The BDO have moved all their so-called majors to new venues (let's not waste time arguing whether it was right to do so, or should have been done earlier, because it's happened and this is what they're dealing with), they've got a multi-year broadcast contract with a broadcaster who has to be kept happy with the product on offer, you've got relatively large prize funds to stump up, and no sponsor to pay for any of it.

If literally the only silver lining you can find in all this is "once the players' nearest and dearest buy a few tickets, ticket uptake will be above 10% of capacity" then it's probably fair to say the game's up.
Rome wasn't built in a day. It's going to take years of investment and marketing to build an audience at the O2. If the BDO are able to survive that long, which no one on here knows whether they will be able or not, then Des' decision may eventually pay off.

I hope it does. Many hope it doesn't. We will see what happens.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

Wazza180 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Nikki, I never said that there aren't good folk on here. I am sure many of you have poured money into the game.

Still, I am yet to be convinced that the negativity on this and other boards toward the BDO helps matters. This board has a reputation in the darting universe as being anti-BDO. If you don't believe me read what people say about this forum on Digital Spy and Facebook groups. Or talk to some of the players.

I know I am wasting my time here. Just wanted to share some information I had been told. Probably should have left it at that. My mistake.
So you want us to bury our head in the sand like the fanatics Facebook groups and believe everything is great within the BDO.

You must be in the Lincoln mafia to think Des is going to turn it around.

I’m expecting major issues start of February, when it’s time to pay out.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

TheSandman wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:41 pm

So you want us to bury our head in the sand like the fanatics Facebook groups and believe everything is great within the BDO.

You must be in the Lincoln mafia to think Des is going to turn it around.

I’m expecting major issues start of February, when it’s time to pay out.
Excuse me, I never claimed that Des is going to turn it around. I don't know whether he will or won't

I don't expect anyone to bury their heads in the sand either. All I said was that the negativity towards the BDO, which usually involves laughing at their misfortune, does nothing to help.