The Rise of the WDF!

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
devosteve
International

Re: The Rise of the WDF!

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:03 am How is having what sounds like another rival tour and another rival WC "good news"?

"this was a work in progress before the masters , just adds to the system imo .
We (BDO)do expect other ORGs to do our bidding and have no real input into the ranking rules , yet lately we have hardly led by example .
Looked at rules yesterday and still say can be changed as and when deemed necessary.
Last 2 events ive been too Hungary and Ireland have been fantastic and largely drama free."

this was Paul's reply to another post in the thread. Remember Deta is a players rep for the wdf now. maybe he is being diplomatic until something certain is announced
Or the idea is to have a major WDF event as a tester to see if they will be able to remove/replace the BDO from their top position?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

No my understanding was they are trying to persuade events to drop BDO points. Really dont see how having 3 tours out there, with effectively 3 end of season tour championships/world championships is good for anyone.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

devosteve wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:09 pm
Ginge wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:56 pm A WDF major championship? Oh dear.
things are being put in place in case the BDO goes bust.
In case?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 am No my understanding was they are trying to persuade events to drop BDO points. Really dont see how having 3 tours out there, with effectively 3 end of season tour championships/world championships is good for anyone.
The WDF just need to persuade Uncle Barry to give them the GSoD picks and maybe prelim places in other tournaments and the tour is an automatic success.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 am No my understanding was they are trying to persuade events to drop BDO points. Really dont see how having 3 tours out there, with effectively 3 end of season tour championships/world championships is good for anyone.
They are preparing to replace the BDO, not add to it. I think the WDF will do a better job of it and will be more of a 'World Amateur' championships which is the way to go anyway. I bet the WDF manage to get a sponsor......
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

"Scenario I’ve heard elsewhere
The Dutch are helping with this & if they help drop BDO points together with other European counties then Des is in trouble.
Interesting to see how this plans out"

oche on twitter.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Given the WDF have failed to get any significant television coverage anywhere for their current showpiece event, I'll take the claims with a pinch of salt.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

If they can get skewy and devo on board that's a start.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

devosteve wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:51 am "Scenario I’ve heard elsewhere
The Dutch are helping with this & if they help drop BDO points together with other European counties then Des is in trouble.

oche on twitter.
Yes, hes copied and pasted that verbatim from what someone else said in a Whatsapp group we are both in :DDD:
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:55 am If they can get skewy and devo on board that's a start.
I'm up for it. as long as I get free tickets to the world dart trophy, I'm fine.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:56 am

oche on twitter.
Yes, hes copied and pasted that verbatim from what someone else said in a Whatsapp group we are both in :DDD:
he didn't quote them. Btw he is a different guy on twitter than on here. More honest as to how bad the bdo is.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

"- Replace the BDO & work towards Amateur
- Find a sponsor/TV deal
- Displace BDO in GSOD Places
- More Worldly focus

All feasible"

Here is oche's latest thoughts (unless he has copied them from someone else).

Good points made here I think.

Change the title of the world championship from Professional. Accept their place in the world of darts: ie amateur.
Work with PDC (Richard Ashdown a good link man) and thus get those GSOD slots from a wider international pool.
And radically change the points system so that certain players (who now only get into the WC do so because they live in northern Europe) are replaced by better folk from around the world.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Moving the time of year they hold "Lakeside" will help as well but they will never do that. Some bollox about tradition, or something.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

And don't hold it in the same city as the PDC WC.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ginge wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:56 am

oche on twitter.
hence i said elsewhere
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

The selling point of the BDO are the points leading to the World Championships.. Without those the BDO would be finished on the international stage really..

The WDF under the correct leadership and focus, which it has never really had, could easily persuade countries to stop allocating their events with BDO points and start a proper points system of their own leading to a World Championship at the end.

It's not like the BDO have made a great fist of things.. They are not exactly beating sponsors off with a stick and the WDF points system could open up the World Championship to be held in Holland or wherever..

I'm not saying any of that will happen, but it could do and would be perfectly feasible.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

WDF have hardly made a great fist of things either. Sat there utterly powerless whilst 3 countries tossed off the World Cup and ran their own event to clash, no major TV coverage of any World Cup that I know about (bar the odd highlights programme maybe).

Ill believe it when I see it.
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Has anyone any idea how much cash in the bank the WDF has ?
neil
Brass Darts

Post by neil »

I cant see any way this can be anything but damaging. The WDF setting up a tour and a World Championship alongside what is already there? This is yet again aimed at players who want to do a tour. There are only so many of them so both schemes are aiming at the same target market. There will always be people who stay loyal to one organisation or the other - this will dilute the take up for both.
Some will know that a few years ago I had a forum which did some fantastic work around the Midlands. We had an event calendar which allowed players to see where tournaments where and people knew where to look. These were well attended and there was a nice little circuit going that saw the rise of some decent players. However, others wanted some of the action. By the time i shut it down, there were 6 forums that had sprung up all doing exactly the same job, all offering their own event calendars, all with a similar user base, all with their own loyal users and all diluting the usefulness of the thing as a whole. I cant see any way that this new WDF incentive will do anything but dilute and weaken what is already there
If you want one then the other needs to go.
Check out my youtube channel - England Darts Reviews

quote 'My sense of humour can be quite wicked at times watch this space' Still watching........
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

devosteve wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:07 am "- Replace the BDO & work towards Amateur
- Find a sponsor/TV deal
- Displace BDO in GSOD Places
- More Worldly focus

All feasible"

Here is oche's latest thoughts (unless he has copied them from someone else).

Good points made here I think.

Change the title of the world championship from Professional. Accept their place in the world of darts: ie amateur.
Work with PDC (Richard Ashdown a good link man) and thus get those GSOD slots from a wider international pool.
And radically change the points system so that certain players (who now only get into the WC do so because they live in northern Europe) are replaced by better folk from around the world.
I can’t see the PDC giving spots to the WDF for GSOD spots going down well with their regional partners.

There would have to be some work in Australia and North America where there are two rival tours pretty much if the WDF and PDC were to start working together.

The BDO also sign up to the WDF and will have signed the ioc stuff etc. Don’t think there is anything new there.

What’s most interesting is that the WDF could just tender the Worlds out to any nation. Yet no one else seems to want it and from what’s been posted previously the Dutch are trying to instigate these changes. If it’s all that easy why don’t they tell the WDF they want to tender for the rights to host etc. It’s just that the BDO have always had it and no one has seemingly challenged the status quo.