Nine darter prize

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
1205
Superleague Player
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:44 am

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by 1205 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48 am

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:58 am
1205 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:56 am
A 9-darter is worth one leg.
Thank you, Bertrand Russell.

Will you be along later to explain that a 147 break is worth one frame?
OP asked whether there should be an additional prize.

The obvious answer is no. A player can hit a 9-darter every game and lose every game.

Van Gerwen was broken in the leg following the 9. He'd have been better off with 2 12s.

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 30083
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by nikkiboy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:49 pm

Should a 9 darter be worth 2 legs?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

only85
Pub Champion
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: rzeszow polska

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by only85 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:55 pm

the issue i have is when i was at blackpool all them years ago & wes newton hit his v pipe i got a buzz out of being there that moment in time, seen one live in person, ok not as good a view as on telly at home but the thrill of i was there, sometimes professional sports people in their little bubble of a world (managers advisors etc) quickly become detached from the average fan & there reasons for attending sports events if we have now reached that in darts where the player is that detached he can say im not arsed about a 9 darter ( the holy grail for any player) cos the cash aint there to make me hungry enough to go for it / achieve it, then we have a major issue in my view

Bomber
Steady Sixties
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by Bomber » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:08 pm

I think in darts they will go for it every time as like duzza yesterday if they miss it they can lose the leg and go on to lose the match - in snooker, if you're an arse like ronnie you can have a laugh and turn it into a 146 if you are continuing a petty feud with uncle bazza and there is nothing he can do, after all in snooker 146s are twenty times rarer than 147s and both win the frame.

I used to think bazza was taking the piss with the 'increased prize money' excuse but the next tourney is the UK open and the prize fund this year is £1,000,009 with £15,000 for the highest break whereas last year is was £850,000 and £5,000 with an extra rolling pot for 147s so only 5k gtd - if you're not in the top 16 then another 15k is nice, even the smaller high break prizes are good for the lower ranks.

I think the worlds should have something extra for 9s though, it is the main event.

User avatar
DavidOwen67
International
Posts: 9098
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am
Location: Nantwich
Contact:

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by DavidOwen67 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:09 pm

nikkiboy wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:49 pm
Should a 9 darter be worth 2 legs?
And a 147 worth 3 frames?

User avatar
DavidOwen67
International
Posts: 9098
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am
Location: Nantwich
Contact:

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by DavidOwen67 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:35 pm

They done stole our posts on 9 darters!!

https://dartsnews.com/van-gerwen-will-n ... rt-finish/

User avatar
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player
Posts: 3170
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:57 am
Location: Lancs

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Don't forget Taylor's 1st 9 darter at the UK open, there wasn't a prize and then Budweiser chucked in 501 bottles (i think).

User avatar
DavidOwen67
International
Posts: 9098
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am
Location: Nantwich
Contact:

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by DavidOwen67 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:29 pm

Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:29 pm
Don't forget Taylor's 1st 9 darter at the UK open, there wasn't a prize and then Budweiser chucked in 501 bottles (i think).
I thought that had been announced as a prize before he did it.

I do remember him promising in an interview to give the £100K from the 2002 Matchplay 9er to charity. And then keeping it.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 9500
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by devosteve » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:57 pm

Like only85 I was there when Newton hit his 9 darter. Couldn't care less how many you see on TV to see one live was brilliant.
The atmosphere was fantastic. expectancy kicks in after 6. Atmosphere is cranking up after darts 7 and 8 then exploding on 9!

saw mvg hit one the next day. Just as good.

I hope the players appreciate the game is not just about them but the paying punters as well.
Blackburn Life 'BDO world trophy competition' winner.

Demolition_fan
Steady Sixties
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:27 pm

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by Demolition_fan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:03 pm

I am absolutely devastated that a millionaire darts player wins nothing for hitting a nine darter.
May have to start a go fund me page.
The BDO is shite

ChrisW
International
Posts: 26940
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Maastricht

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by ChrisW » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:19 pm


foggs3355
International
Posts: 7214
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by foggs3355 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm

I think there should be a rolling 2500 prize in the tv events pdl don’t count

User avatar
DavidOwen67
International
Posts: 9098
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am
Location: Nantwich
Contact:

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by DavidOwen67 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm

foggs3355 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm
I think there should be a rolling 2500 prize in the tv events pdl don’t count
But there isn't. The bonuses got rolled into the total prize money.

fling
Superleague Player
Posts: 1437
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by fling » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:58 pm

devosteve wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:57 pm
Like only85 I was there when Newton hit his 9 darter. Couldn't care less how many you see on TV to see one live was brilliant.
The atmosphere was fantastic. expectancy kicks in after 6. Atmosphere is cranking up after darts 7 and 8 then exploding on 9!

saw mvg hit one the next day. Just as good.

I hope the players appreciate the game is not just about them but the paying punters as well.
I know what you mean about being in the crowd for a 9 as it is a special moment.
I have also been lucky enough to mark a 9 and on a different note I was at Headingley in the summer when Stokes pulled off that remarkable innings to win the test.

Bomber
Steady Sixties
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by Bomber » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:26 pm

The snooker crowd just thought they were in for their special moment as Ronnie was just on a max but after lots of "oohs" and "aahs" and "come on Ronnie" he left himself on the pink off the last red, big sigh, couple of pissed-off laughs but as there are no prizes for them anymore he has already said he won't go for them and he said to the crowd "it's only worth seven and a half grand, I'm not doing it for that" - he is in full-on knob mode as he seems to have taken offence to the ref now and isn't giving him a chance to put the balls up before taking his next shot and then walking off - winker.

Luckily, darts may have it's arses but they aren't as arsey as Ronnie. Yet.

Would love to see some of the sensitive sausages like Lewis react when someone turns down the nine deliberately..

User avatar
ssjsa
International
Posts: 19859
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: uddingston, glasgow
Contact:

Re: Nine darter prize

Post by ssjsa » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:11 pm

fling wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:58 pm
devosteve wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:57 pm
Like only85 I was there when Newton hit his 9 darter. Couldn't care less how many you see on TV to see one live was brilliant.
The atmosphere was fantastic. expectancy kicks in after 6. Atmosphere is cranking up after darts 7 and 8 then exploding on 9!

saw mvg hit one the next day. Just as good.

I hope the players appreciate the game is not just about them but the paying punters as well.
I know what you mean about being in the crowd for a 9 as it is a special moment.
I have also been lucky enough to mark a 9 and on a different note I was at Headingley in the summer when Stokes pulled off that remarkable innings to win the test.
Haven't been privileged enough to watch a 9 darter live, nor be in the crowd when Ando wins a TV tournament.

Closest to the niner was at the Hydro for the PL in 2015 when Gary wired the D12 against Kim Huybrechts.

From memory the nearest I came to seeing Gary winning a TV tournament live, must have been when he lost to MVG in the 2017 WSOD Finals at Braehead, but probably best chance was when he lost 17-15 to Taylor at Blackpool in the 2014 Semi Final. Convinced that had he got through that match he would have won that year.
Image

PL 2014 Week 4 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2018 Week 13 Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner

Post Reply

Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”