BDO Cash Grab! - now embarassingly retracted

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ChrisW
International

Re: BDO Cash Grab! - now embarassingly retracted

Post by ChrisW »

trotter01 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:42 pm
ChrisW wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:33 pm Seems like a no win situation for the players. Do they go for BDO or WDF ranked points.
And which 2020-21 tournaments are they aiming for?
It's difficult.. There's been a lot of BDO points already won and more to come and these are vastly different to the WDF points... Once the new WDF season starts do they start a table from scratch and ignore all the BDO points so far allocated ?
Players do need to know what is happening going forward and need to know now
And the WDF season not really being high profiled makes the situation a lot worse.
If they are going to try to take over the tour they have to communicate it ASAP.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ChrisW wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:45 pm
trotter01 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:42 pm
ChrisW wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:33 pm Seems like a no win situation for the players. Do they go for BDO or WDF ranked points.
And which 2020-21 tournaments are they aiming for?
It's difficult.. There's been a lot of BDO points already won and more to come and these are vastly different to the WDF points... Once the new WDF season starts do they start a table from scratch and ignore all the BDO points so far allocated ?
Players do need to know what is happening going forward and need to know now
And the WDF season not really being high profiled makes the situation a lot worse.
If they are going to try to take over the tour they have to communicate it ASAP.
Do players need to know though? Look at it logically, the BDO haven't confirmed prize money for the WC and we are still unsure whether it is going ahead, the WDT has no sponsors and will probably be scrapped especially if the BDO's finances are in as dire straits as has been mooted. Then there is the Masters, it has a sponsor but would you put your whole season on just that one tournament?
I would say the players are aware that whatever happens with points the next season will see BDO prize funds slashed and tournaments left to the last minute to confirm, who the hell wants this vicious circle to continue ad infinitum?

If the WDF can do a deal with England darts, the ADO and the NDB and get three TV tournaments they can get behind plus an end of season WC then why not aim for that route, if that's not enough then play the development or challenge tours for those outside top 16 and try to win a tour card for those at the top. If they stick with the BDO they will be effectively endorsing another 5 years of scratching around for scraps with no guarantees of anything.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

I don't see the big issue in terms of which tournaments to play. Most tournaments carry both BDO and WDF points, so no need for players to choose one over the other. If you don't get through Q-School (or don't go) then play the tournaments that make sense for you - even if you aim more for BDO points you will get plenty of WDF points at the same time
zahi
Brass Darts

Post by zahi »

Addicks Fan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:47 pm I don't see the big issue in terms of which tournaments to play. Most tournaments carry both BDO and WDF points, so no need for players to choose one over the other. If you don't get through Q-School (or don't go) then play the tournaments that make sense for you - even if you aim more for BDO points you will get plenty of WDF points at the same time
Well, that will probably change. I can't see most tournaments carrying BDO and WDF-Points in the future. If you want to run an event like that in the future, you are paying approximately € 5 to € 6,-- per player on average (depending on the amount of your prize money). That's a lot for the organisers, who already now struggle to hold a break-even tournament. So as I said: I think many countries will go only for WDF-points anymore in the future and the big countries like the NDB will have a leading role on this.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Will the BDO still award the Dutch Open points? They are listed in the year's tournaments. Only the NDB has said they are not carrying the points.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Bump

Interesting that the WDF have essentially done the exact same thing that the BDO tried to do and barely anyone is outraged by it
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Settle down
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:Settle down
That the best reply you got?

Admit it, its exactly the same but because its not Des Jacklin and there is now no alternative nobody is making a fuss.
Big Jock Knew
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

I mean, fair enough.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Black Velvet wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:22 pm I mean, fair enough.
"I was joking"
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ginge wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:20 pm

Admit it, its exactly the same but because its not Des Jacklin and there is now no alternative nobody is making a fuss.
WDF need to make money. Jacklin was in it for himself
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:
Ginge wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:20 pm

WDF need to make money. Jacklin was in it for himself
Well no, he was trying to raise funds for a TV event, absolutely no different to what this is.

If anything this is worse with the step up from silver to gold, the Dutch would have owed Des about £1100 under the BDO proposal, now that figure is £1800 ignoring the player levy.

But no everyone has meekly accepted it this time because this is last chance saloon.

Last edited by Ginge on Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Robbing bastards
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Surely TV money, sponsorship and ticket sales will pay for Lakeside; having a levy on top is ridiculous
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Anyway, why does an amateur darts organisation need to make money?
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:35 pm Anyway, why does an amateur darts organisation need to make money? Image
Because people on darts forums expect them to meet professional standards?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Re: BDO Cash Grab!

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote:A good example will be the Dutch Open.
NDB will be getting an invoice for about £1100 in January.
They are usually the kind of organisation that will put out a quick reaction to something like this.
So would expect them to let people know soon if they are carrying BDO ranking points or not.
Bailed out of BDO Lakeside ranking points for the sake of £1100, but havent done the same yet for an amount at least 50% bigger that the WDF are imposing on them.

Hypocrites.

Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:52 pm
They are usually the kind of organisation that will put out a quick reaction to something like this.
So would expect them to let people know soon if they are carrying BDO ranking points or not.
Bailed out of BDO Lakeside ranking points for the sake of £1100, but havent done the same yet for an amount at least 50% bigger that the WDF are imposing on them.

Hypocrites.
Aren't they working together with the wdf.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Hypocrites.
HATER !!!!

This is the type of post that could have potbelly stents or houseboy stop sulking and post on here again.
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote:

Hypocrites.
Aren't they working together with the wdf.
Ha, that makes it worse!
Big Jock Knew