BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 64804
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Ginge » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:36 am

I suppose its better they have theirs first as it would stop the comparisons, unless there is then a THIRD unofficial, unsanctioned one in January.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 9869
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by devosteve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:57 am

Re the title of this thread: remember the 'old days' when the fanatics would crow about 'proper darts'? And were are the comments about 'official darts'?

serious point: the BDO has been in gradual decline for years. But (as can happen in war/political situations) the actual ending/demise could happen very quickly.
Blackburn Life 'BDO world trophy competition' winner.

bishbashbosh180
Brass Darts
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:55 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by bishbashbosh180 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:51 am

Ginge wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:32 am
Why would Potter say no to it then? Not as if he will have other stuff booked in at short notice, and its probably his biggest money spinner of the year. Nah, cant buy for a minute that the Big Ego was on his knees begging.
The conversation did happen. Bob said no because they were asking for insane numbers from the start and being their charming selves when doing so. What people fail to understand is that Lakeside has not made any meaningful money for anyone for years so the current 300K+ sponsorship was a risk anyway. Bob is one of the biggest landowners in Surrey and the darts profits are a rounding error in his overall business, he does it because he wants to not cos it makes commercial sense.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 9869
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by devosteve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:53 am

bishbashbosh180 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:51 am
Ginge wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:32 am
Why would Potter say no to it then? Not as if he will have other stuff booked in at short notice, and its probably his biggest money spinner of the year. Nah, cant buy for a minute that the Big Ego was on his knees begging.
The conversation did happen. Bob said no because they were asking for insane numbers from the start and being their charming selves when doing so. What people fail to understand is that Lakeside has not made any meaningful money for anyone for years so the current 300K+ sponsorship was a risk anyway. Bob is one of the biggest landowners in Surrey and the darts profits are a rounding error in his overall business, he does it because he wants to not cos it makes commercial sense.
if correct that is an interesting point. One that would weaken the boards hand if they came back to him.
Blackburn Life 'BDO world trophy competition' winner.

Buzz Fledderjohn
Pub Champion
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:54 am

bishbashbosh180 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:51 am
Ginge wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:32 am
Why would Potter say no to it then? Not as if he will have other stuff booked in at short notice, and its probably his biggest money spinner of the year. Nah, cant buy for a minute that the Big Ego was on his knees begging.
The conversation did happen. Bob said no because they were asking for insane numbers from the start and being their charming selves when doing so. What people fail to understand is that Lakeside has not made any meaningful money for anyone for years so the current 300K+ sponsorship was a risk anyway. Bob is one of the biggest landowners in Surrey and the darts profits are a rounding error in his overall business, he does it because he wants to not cos it makes commercial sense.
Ah, so Des was demanding rather than begging.
That sounds a lot more plausible.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 64804
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Ginge » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:55 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:54 am
bishbashbosh180 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:51 am
Ginge wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:32 am
Why would Potter say no to it then? Not as if he will have other stuff booked in at short notice, and its probably his biggest money spinner of the year. Nah, cant buy for a minute that the Big Ego was on his knees begging.
The conversation did happen. Bob said no because they were asking for insane numbers from the start and being their charming selves when doing so. What people fail to understand is that Lakeside has not made any meaningful money for anyone for years so the current 300K+ sponsorship was a risk anyway. Bob is one of the biggest landowners in Surrey and the darts profits are a rounding error in his overall business, he does it because he wants to not cos it makes commercial sense.
Ah, so Des was demanding rather than begging.
That sounds a lot more plausible.
Indeed it does, but still would be very surprised he entertained the notion of going back to a venue he hates at all after announcing a glamorous new venue in central London.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 9869
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by devosteve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Not sure which thread to post this on but folks were asking about the prize fund on fb. is it 100% guaranteed? Asking in context of some overseas players may be worried about travelling without this certainty.

The last thing the BDO need is for players to start to withdraw. But if they have not got the dosh, what are they to do?
Blackburn Life 'BDO world trophy competition' winner.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 64804
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Ginge » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Surely they need to know how much it is first.

Buzz Fledderjohn
Pub Champion
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Ginge wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:55 am
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:54 am
bishbashbosh180 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:51 am
Ginge wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:32 am
Why would Potter say no to it then? Not as if he will have other stuff booked in at short notice, and its probably his biggest money spinner of the year. Nah, cant buy for a minute that the Big Ego was on his knees begging.
The conversation did happen. Bob said no because they were asking for insane numbers from the start and being their charming selves when doing so. What people fail to understand is that Lakeside has not made any meaningful money for anyone for years so the current 300K+ sponsorship was a risk anyway. Bob is one of the biggest landowners in Surrey and the darts profits are a rounding error in his overall business, he does it because he wants to not cos it makes commercial sense.
Ah, so Des was demanding rather than begging.
That sounds a lot more plausible.
Indeed it does, but still would be very surprised he entertained the notion of going back to a venue he hates at all after announcing a glamorous new venue in central London.
He's announced a boat-load of stuff that haven't come to pass. What's one more amongst friends?
Desperate times call for desperate measures, and if he's truly spent the lot on previous failed vanity projects going back to Potter could genuinely be the least worst option, even for a narcissist like him.

bishbashbosh180
Brass Darts
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:55 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by bishbashbosh180 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Depending on the exact structure of the O2 contract he potential has or had significant personal risk in committing to the tickets going on sale as it
could be deemed as agreeing to something that had a material risk of leading to insolvency. Also not hard to spin that he had listened to the members, players and fans and had managed to negotiate and amazing swan song event at the Lakeside for this year to say farewell and then we had 10 years at the O2 to look forward to. Very low grade spin compared to much of the other bullshit that has been communicated before and since.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 9869
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by devosteve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Skewball wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:32 am
Ginge wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:29 am
Two World Championships in December, great :roll: have it at a different time of year ffs!
i'm only guessing, but Its not a daft time to hold it, give something for the Dutchies to do at the similar time of year. I agree if it was in the UK it would be a little harder.
don't you think it is feasible that the wdf will have the official WDF WC in December with the new season (under a brand new points system: ie wdf not bdo points) starting in January? I can see that happening.

okay, there will be some losers (BDO and WDF point winners pre this announcement) but it gives all comps, already organised, the opportunity to apply for wdf (or even bdo!) points for next year.

The 2 codes would then be in sync with each new season starting in January thus helping folks to decide with org to play in, with clarity. (No-one switching after playing 3 months in one code).

The wdf (who will acknowledge their position as the semi professional/ amateur code, the not playing the 'pride game', the 'we are the original and the official' WC) will be a kind of starter for the main meal: the PDC world professional darts championship!
Blackburn Life 'BDO world trophy competition' winner.

Black Velvet
County Player
Posts: 2604
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Black Velvet » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Skewball wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 am
Black Velvet wrote:Nonono, he was desperately begging Potter to take them back Image
Yup. That's what happened.
:DDD:

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 9869
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by devosteve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:13 pm

bishbashbosh180 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:02 pm
Depending on the exact structure of the O2 contract he potential has or had significant personal risk in committing to the tickets going on sale as it
could be deemed as agreeing to something that had a material risk of leading to insolvency. Also not hard to spin that he had listened to the members, players and fans and had managed to negotiate and amazing swan song event at the Lakeside for this year to say farewell and then we had 10 years at the O2 to look forward to. Very low grade spin compared to much of the other bullshit that has been communicated before and since.
I said this before. many wanted to leave lakeside but they could have had a last hurrah!

I reckon numbers would have been up. Folks who love the place not wanting to miss out saying goodbye. (wigan athletic's last game at springfield was a sellout! hadn't had one for years or decades!).
Folks who had stopped going, giving it one last revisit.
And the folk who have never been: surely many would have jumped at the chance to go at least once to see if the atmosphere is as good as folk say?

have a couple of retired big names there for meet and greet, interviews etc and the place could have been packed.

the BDO could have saved some money and maybe made some money.
Blackburn Life 'BDO world trophy competition' winner.

Buzz Fledderjohn
Pub Champion
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:19 pm

devosteve wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:13 pm
bishbashbosh180 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:02 pm
Depending on the exact structure of the O2 contract he potential has or had significant personal risk in committing to the tickets going on sale as it
could be deemed as agreeing to something that had a material risk of leading to insolvency. Also not hard to spin that he had listened to the members, players and fans and had managed to negotiate and amazing swan song event at the Lakeside for this year to say farewell and then we had 10 years at the O2 to look forward to. Very low grade spin compared to much of the other bullshit that has been communicated before and since.
I said this before. many wanted to leave lakeside but they could have had a last hurrah!

I reckon numbers would have been up. Folks who love the place not wanting to miss out saying goodbye. (wigan athletic's last game at springfield was a sellout! hadn't had one for years or decades!).
Folks who had stopped going, giving it one last revisit.
And the folk who have never been: surely many would have jumped at the chance to go at least once to see if the atmosphere is as good as folk say?

have a couple of retired big names there for meet and greet, interviews etc and the place could have been packed.

the BDO could have saved some money and maybe made some money.
Yes, but since when has basic business acumen, or even plain old common sense, been the hallmark of the current BDO regime?

Skewball
International
Posts: 7745
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Somerset

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Skewball » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Black Velvet wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm
Skewball wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 am
Black Velvet wrote:Nonono, he was desperately begging Potter to take them back Image
Yup. That's what happened.
:DDD:
are you actually following this conversation or just chasing me round like some weird stalker. each to their own :grin: :MAD: :WWWW: :WWWW:

bishbashbosh180
Brass Darts
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:55 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by bishbashbosh180 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:25 pm

The main point was that he is not dumb enough to miss that the O2 terms could personally bite him on the arse. He would not care about the reality or business value but would have been happy to see a positive spin whatever the real outcome. All still serve serving but with trumpesk rationality.

Skewball
International
Posts: 7745
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Somerset

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Skewball » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:26 pm

bishbashbosh180 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:02 pm
Depending on the exact structure of the O2 contract he potential has or had significant personal risk in committing to the tickets going on sale as it
could be deemed as agreeing to something that had a material risk of leading to insolvency. Also not hard to spin that he had listened to the members, players and fans and had managed to negotiate and amazing swan song event at the Lakeside for this year to say farewell and then we had 10 years at the O2 to look forward to. Very low grade spin compared to much of the other bullshit that has been communicated before and since.
spot on.
It would have been easy sell. One last year at Lakeside which could have been celebrated properly instead of no one admitting last was probably going to the last. I genuinely think they could have virtually sold it out AND had almost a year to build up momentum for moving to London and the Indigo. But it sounds like he overplayed his hand with Potter. What a gimp.

Case
Pub Champion
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:00 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Case » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Don't no where to put, it's the Peter Ebdon of darts speaking

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 64804
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by Ginge » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Peter Ebdon at least won a world title with all the best players in the field.....

Anyway I'm not watching an 18 minute interview ffs. Someone summarise the best bits.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 9869
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: BDO tournaments no longer recognised by WDF and BDO relegated to Associate Member

Post by devosteve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Ginge wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:46 pm
Peter Ebdon at least won a world title with all the best players in the field.....

Anyway I'm not watching an 18 minute interview ffs. Someone summarise the best bits.
just spent 18 mins of my life listening.

comes over as a nice guy to be honest.

criticises social media folk for highlighting poor ticket sales. can't understand why folk do it. Zero comment about the actual reason for poor ticket sales but does say with family and friends and players sponsors getting tickets numbers will increase.

Blames problem with draw at masters is due to new entry system and overseas players not realising what needed to be done. said 40 names needed to be added so only fair a redraw for men.

re fake names. Didn't know anything about it at the time and not much to say now.

Defends des. saying it is a tough job, stuff has come out that des didn't know he would have to deal with.

regrets his tweet re state of bdo. he did it accidently But no more comment on finances.

One positive he said (imo) was that the BDO do need to accept their place in world darts.
Blackburn Life 'BDO world trophy competition' winner.

Post Reply

Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”