An opportunity for the PDC

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: An opportunity for the PDC

Post by Ginge »

Tommy T-Rex wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am
Tommy T-Rex wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 am The PDC recognise the DRA as the governing body of darts. The WDF have nothing of intrest to the PDC at all.
Apart from a higher profile global presence in markets the PDC has been after for a while now, you mean?
The WDF has as much global presence as Patels Corner Shop in Brighouse!
Does he sell single cans of Coca-Cola that are clearly marked as multipack cans not to be sold separately?
Big Jock Knew
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

This is an organisation that has literally secured Madison Square Garden as a venue for a darts event next year. If they want to crack anywhere, I think they are perfectly capable of doing it without the backing of some irrelevant group of nobodies.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

SolidSCB wrote:This is an organisation that has literally secured Madison Square Garden as a venue for a darts event next year. If they want to crack anywhere, I think they are perfectly capable of doing it without the backing of some irrelevant group of nobodies.
Well without being pedantic, its the small sideroom next door to it.
Big Jock Knew
SolidSCB
Brass Darts

Post by SolidSCB »

That's got the kiss of death written all over it then, as it's a proven fact that ticket sales of darts events in siderooms usually can be counted using only your fingers.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:14 pm
SolidSCB wrote:This is an organisation that has literally secured Madison Square Garden as a venue for a darts event next year. If they want to crack anywhere, I think they are perfectly capable of doing it without the backing of some irrelevant group of nobodies.
Well without being pedantic, its the small sideroom next door to it.
Beat me to it.
Indigoat MSG?
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Don’t know about british representation but the pdc should be putting forward the proposal that the pdc worlds is the wdf recognised world championship
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:18 pm Don’t know about british representation but the pdc should be putting forward the proposal that the pdc worlds is the wdf recognised world championship
I reckon a possibility is: wdf recognise pdc as the world professional championship and their own version as semi-pro or amateur world championship.

And see if the pdc would offer a tour card to the winner of the wdf wc.

A bit of co-operation .

As to pdc stepping in. No need. Let wdf run the amateur game (global level) individual national organisations run county (or equivalent )and pdc the professional level.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:18 pm Don’t know about british representation but the pdc should be putting forward the proposal that the pdc worlds is the wdf recognised world championship
Bingpot! Give the WDF some control of the international qualifiers and Robert's your mother's brother.

A unified World darts championship.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

The PDC doesn't really need the WDF, but to be honest, I can see the WDF wanting to have a far bigger say than what the PDC (rightly) would expect.

In some persons eyes, the PDC is "sports entertainment", but the organisation I'm sure want to have the highest standards in terms of discpline and sporting integrity. Heck that is why the DRA was created and has been far, far more effective than both the BDO and the WDF in disciplining bad behaviour and stamping down on negative publicity. The WDF are making noise about IOC recognition which clearly would involve a lot more investment in WADA controls, which I'm not convinced the PDC will want to involve themselves with outside their own procedures.

There is definitely scope for cooperation though. The PDC are busy sponsoring affiliated organisations such as DPA, CDC, DPNZ, SAPDO, PDC Asia, PDC Europe etc. As has been mentioned already, the WDF can provide the playing numbers and could assist in running regional secondary tours, as well as providing international qualifiers for the World Championships. Access to the WDF affiliates is the biggest asset to the PDC - the WDF management is of no value whatsoever.

I'm intrigued though by the actions of the BDO stalwarts such as Adams, Mitchell, Montgomery et al and their next steps. Adams certainly retirement, but curious as to whether they'll give Q School a bash or just carry on regardless.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

I guess this could open the door for Olympic status, which would be a boost for the sport even if it's something I'm sure none of us darts nerds are too fussed about
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:48 pm I guess this could open the door for Olympic status, which would be a boost for the sport even if it's something I'm sure none of us darts nerds are too fussed about
Sport? Really? It’s a pub game played by people who like a night out and a drink, nothing more nothing less.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ILAD wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:10 pm
Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:48 pm I guess this could open the door for Olympic status, which would be a boost for the sport even if it's something I'm sure none of us darts nerds are too fussed about
Sport? Really? It’s a pub game played by people who like a night out and a drink, nothing more nothing less.
Spot on.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Darts will never be in the Olympics.. nor should it be ever in the Olympics.. I certainly don't want it in the Olympics

Regarding BDO, WDF and PDC.. it matters not a jot to the PDC or Sky or ITV or the TV viewers and spectators whether or not the BDO or WDF is the official championships because regardless of anything everybody knows that the true World Champion is whoever wins the PDC title and its been that way for a good while now..
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

trotter01 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 pm Darts will never be in the Olympics.. nor should it be ever in the Olympics.. I certainly don't want it in the Olympics

Regarding BDO, WDF and PDC.. it matters not a jot to the PDC or Sky or ITV or the TV viewers and spectators whether or not the BDO or WDF is the official championships because regardless of anything everybody knows that the true World Champion is whoever wins the PDC title and its been that way for a good while now..
Correct. Thanks to terrestrial coverage Lakeside held its own and punched above its weight for a few years.
But even the casual viewers now know the PDC is where it's at and that explains the colossal disparity in ticket sales.

Oche. Colossal means very big.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

trotter01 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 pm Darts will never be in the Olympics.. nor should it be ever in the Olympics.. I certainly don't want it in the Olympics

Completely agree. And I love the Olympics.
It’s a lot of resource, time and money for something I don’t think many in the game as a whole would support.
I suppose the argument is that Olympic recognition would mean the likes of America, China, Russia and others would take it seriously and the standards globally would improve massively.
zahi
Brass Darts

Post by zahi »

Might be different in the UK, but for many/most other coutries, a recognition as sport is very important/vital to develope darts in the future in their regions. And I hope, we all want darts to be a global thing, not a local phenomenon in the UK/NL, with only very view singular players of other countries occasionally compete at the same levels...

And the PDC can't and should for various reasons not be the governing body of the sport of darts. I mean I like watching PDC darts, but thats a professional circuit similar (not same) to e.g. boxing, golf or snoker. No more no less.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

But do the WDF deserve to be the global governing body? Until recently they’ve been lapdogs to the BDO, especially under the Croft stewardship. They’ve done zero to promote world darts.
zahi
Brass Darts

Post by zahi »

Dannyboy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:50 am But do the WDF deserve to be the global governing body? Until recently they’ve been lapdogs to the BDO, especially under the Croft stewardship. They’ve done zero to promote world darts.
Well, fact is, that the World Darts Federation IS the governing body of the sport of darts in the world. And I also think, that the developement, the WDF in the last years took, is a good one (in contrast to the developement of the BDO). So I would trust them to go in the right direction. Take a look at the Worldcup. This event in Romania was a big success and well organized. So I have a good feeling with the WDF. It seems they have a plan and a strategy and they go for it for quite some time. I personaly feel, they deserve trust and support. With the BDO, I am not so sure at the moment, after the recent incidents...

And the PDC is "just" a professional circuit. Nice to watch and good for the best of the best players to earn money. But they are not the governing body of the sport of darts in the world and willl never be. And they know this and don't even want to be it, as it doesn't even suit their business model. They are just a better BDO, but without running BICCs.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Money makes sport go round - I hate to say it, but it is the definitive truth. If there is no money, you can't grow the sport. The WDF are potless and rely on their NGBs to provide finance to them. They've never gone out there to go and find sponsors.

The PDC isn't just a professional circuit is it? Of course, 80% of their resource rightly goes into the top level, but that is in line with every other sport. They now provide opportunities for development, youth and inferior players. Now this doesn't go as far as "darts for all", but it needs to be a meritocracy.

Of course both could work together, but there is no way WDF should be aiming for a game of brinkmanship with the PDC because there is only one company that has been growing the support globally.

If you take out the money that is paid out by BDO events, the amount of prize money in WDF events wouldn't even pay for the PDC Worlds winner's cheque this season.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Dannyboy wrote:But do the WDF deserve to be the global governing body? Until recently they’ve been lapdogs to the BDO, especially under the Croft stewardship. They’ve done zero to promote world darts.
But they’ve just voted little Richard in.

If his plan from day one is working with hearn (he’s been at a lot of pdc events in the last year) then they could have something up their sleeve in terms of the pdc becoming the official world championship in exchange for the wdf looking after darts below the pro tour.

Don’t forget the Tomlin order states that the pdc accept the wdf as the governing body of darts.