Youth problem

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Murphio
International

Re: Youth problem

Post by Murphio »

What I would say is that PDC can't afford to be complacent- and I don't think they will be. Ollie Croft thought he had struck gold with darts and all he had to do was do nothing. The product became stale, viewers, broadcasters and advertisers lost interest and the result was the split in darts. Snooker went the very same way until Barry Hearn breathed life into it. Matchroom run their sports like businesses and that's why they are so successful. All I see is continued growth - maybe not in the UK but globally the game is massive and I think the surface has only been scratched in the US and Asia. The game is in good hands. As for the argument there is no youth coming though - it's such a ridiculous argument it's barely worth debating.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

NvH wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:05 am
PreciesJJ wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:59 am
NvH wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:55 am
Wazza180 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:32 am The PDC achieved all they can in the UK and saturation point was reached a long time ago. They have tried to turn a pub game into a professional sport in the interest of making more money. Yet it was the pub and the BDO where all their players came from. Now that pubs are dying and the BDO looks set to join them, how are the PDC going to replace their already ageing roster of players in years to come?

It is no wonder the PDC are taking their product abroad. I still can't see it working though. At least in terms of finding young players. They have tried to crack America for years with no luck. How many American players can you name in the PDC?

This is a problem that the PDC will face in years to come. The game was never meant to have this much money in it and I fear it is not sustainable due to how society is evolving. The game lives and dies in the pub.
But you (if you are indeed Rout) have been saying that ("it's not sustainable") for a decade or more and it still hasn't happened. The game doesn't HAVE to be played in a pub - many of the Dutch players didn't start playing in pubs. You're right about society evolving but that doesn't mean darts cannot evolve with it.

And darts was a professional sport in the 80s, but the BDO screwed it up royally. I'm not saying you're wrong about saturation point in the UK, but what they have now is already attractive to those who wish to make a living out of the game. Germany is also a promising market (much more so than the Netherlands and Belgium), even if like you say, America looks unlikely. And all of this can be done without requiring a pub culture.

I'm not even sure you're correcting about the age. Are the players in the PDC really older, on average, than they were 10 years ago?
Average age of the top 16 in comparison with 10 years ago is a lot younger.
Cheers. I wasn't sure entirely but found it hard to believe they were getting older.
Average age of the Top 16 10 years ago was 41.
Current Top 16 is 38.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Top 16 in both orgs is 38.
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
County Player

Post by 1205 »

oche balboa wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:36 am Top 16 in both orgs is 38.
Same kind if shape, bigger spread in the BDO. Not surprising, really.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Youth is fine...

Leighton Bennett and Keane Barry will serve the PDC well for years 👌
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

Wazza180 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:32 am The PDC achieved all they can in the UK and saturation point was reached a long time ago. They have tried to turn a pub game into a professional sport in the interest of making more money. Yet it was the pub and the BDO where all their players came from. Now that pubs are dying and the BDO looks set to join them, how are the PDC going to replace their already ageing roster of players in years to come?

It is no wonder the PDC are taking their product abroad. I still can't see it working though. At least in terms of finding young players. They have tried to crack America for years with no luck. How many American players can you name in the PDC?

This is a problem that the PDC will face in years to come. The game was never meant to have this much money in it and I fear it is not sustainable due to how society is evolving. The game lives and dies in the pub.
People can thrive through darts, Phil for example, and than MvG, killing Phil at the MOD2008.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

oche balboa wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:36 am Top 16 in both orgs is 38.
Did you work that out all by yourself oche or just copy Chris?
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
deathrides
Steady Sixties

Post by deathrides »

Vandenbogaerde (46)
Warren (57)
Waites (42)
Mitchell (49)
Hogan (56)
Williams (35)

Youth running wild in the BDO
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Right or wrong is not the point, it is opinion at the end of the day and 99% of the time there is no right and wrong.

I think darts is on the decline. Others don't. Why the need for personal attacks?
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Wazza180 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 pm Right or wrong is not the point, it is opinion at the end of the day and 99% of the time there is no right and wrong.

I think darts is on the decline. Others don't. Why the need for personal attacks?
Why your need to spam the board with the same agenda-laden guff in a bid for attention then play the victim card when people inevitably get irritated with it?
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

Wazza180 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 pm Right or wrong is not the point, it is opinion at the end of the day and 99% of the time there is no right and wrong.

I totally agree, BDO darts is on the decline.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Murphio wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Why your need to spam the board with the same agenda-laden guff in a bid for attention then play the victim card when people inevitably get irritated with it?
Hilarious how a bit of PDC criticism gets you all so angry. I bet some of you have a picture of Barry Hearn tattooed on your ballsacks.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

TheSandman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:35 pm

I totally agree, BDO darts is on the decline.
Who said I was just talking about the PDC? I include the BDO in all this.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Wazza180 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:36 pm
Murphio wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Hilarious how a bit of PDC criticism gets you all so angry. I bet some of you have a picture of Barry Hearn tattooed on your ballsacks.
You need a hug Mark, you are obviously lacking attention.
PreciesJJ
The Ton Club

Post by PreciesJJ »

So now you have been exposed by facts that your opinion about the youth isn't based on anything you just say darts in general is in decline? Again based on absolutely nothing?

Weird.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

deathrides wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:27 pm Vandenbogaerde (46)
Warren (57)
Waites (42)
Mitchell (49)
Hogan (56)
Williams (35)

Why are people fanatical on here? It is not a case of PDC is bad, BDO is good. I've said that the BDO and many of their supporters brush everything under the carpet. Put their fingers in their ears. And pretend the obvious isn't happening. They watch as everyone flocks to Q-school and the oldest and most prestigious titles in darts can't even get FTA TV coverage. It is sadly the BDO way at the minute and those that support this approach to dealing with obvious and serious issues are encouraging the continuing decline of the BDO and the game in general. Simple as that.

It is shame because those who play county darts love it. But in 10 or 20 years time there won't be county darts, a BDO, or grassroots darts. As I have said, it is a pub sport, not a professional sport. When the pub dies, the game dies. If you don't think this will hurt the PDC, then I don't know what else to say to you.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

Wazza180 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 pm
Warren (57)
Waites (42)
Mitchell (49)
Hogan (56)
Williams (35)

Why are people fanatical on here? It is not a case of PDC is bad, BDO is good. I've said that the BDO and many of their supporters brush everything under the carpet. Put their fingers in their ears. And pretend the obvious isn't happening. They watch as everyone flocks to Q-school and the oldest and most prestigious titles in darts can't even get FTA TV coverage. It is sadly the BDO way at the minute and those that support this approach to dealing with obvious and serious issues are encouraging the continuing decline of the BDO and the game in general. Simple as that.

It is shame because those who play county darts love it. But in 10 or 20 years time there won't be county darts, a BDO, or grassroots darts. As I have said, it is a pub sport, not a professional sport. When the pub dies, the game dies. If you don't think this will hurt the PDC, then I don't know what else to say to you.
Can't see there not being county darts.. That's pretty self sufficient I would say and not linked to the state of the BDO at the top... There may be a a reduction of numbers wanting to play it as the oldies drop off but I think it will be always there..
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Wazza180 wrote:
Warren (57)
Waites (42)
Mitchell (49)
Hogan (56)
Williams (35)

Stop crying.

County will be fine for a good while yet.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Skewball wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:46 pm
Wazza180 wrote:
Warren (57)
Waites (42)
Mitchell (49)
Hogan (56)
Williams (35)

Stop crying.

County will be fine for a good while yet.
Pub darts and county will be fine. No money required and fanatics love it.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Bubble has burst KLAXON!!!!!
PDC are c*nts KLAXON!!!!!
Same old shite KLAXON!!!!!

Too much money in the game? How dare they!