1%

Total votes: 83

Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Re: Scott Waites

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
Skewball wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:14 pm
Moongoose McQueeen wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:07 pm Potential Major winner.

The guy is a 2 time World Professional darts champion, a former World Master and a former cross code invitational showbiz exhibition darts champion.
It would be an insult to say he wont be top 16. Only two players better than him in the PDC...........
Educated opinion

Waites will make the sunday of the UK Open.
I’d never bet anyone to make the Sunday. Especially if your coming in during the first session and have to win 3 games around the boards
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

The guy is a 2 time World Professional darts champion, a former World Master and a former cross code invitational showbiz exhibition darts champion.
It would be an insult to say he wont be top 16. Only two players better than him in the PDC...........
Educated opinion

Be prepared to have this rolled out every day for 6+ years if he doesnt.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I definitely think his consistently best days are behind him and he's nowhere near the player of a good few years ago.. but his shoulder seems OK and I can see him getting motivation back..
I can't see him threatening to be a TV event winner but I can see him hovering an about 30 in the rankings after 2 years which would mean he's done ok
Westernbulldog
Steady Sixties

Post by Westernbulldog »

Out of all the new tour holders Waites prospects is the hardest to call, could be all of the above but going for top ranked 47, one good run in the UK open before losing interest to put up shelves in Mytholmroyd.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

I remember Zapp & Zeyes saying Durrant wouldnt win a tour card lol
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

oche balboa wrote:I remember Zapp & Zeyes saying Durrant wouldnt win a tour card lol
He very nearly didn’t, what’s your point?
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Had Scott Waites switched in 2010/11, there is no doubt in my mind he could have done some serious damage in the PDC.

He is not anywhere near the player he was then, but that being said, he is a player with a tremendous amount of bottle, and in any given match, can still be a danger.

Think he is still more than capable of getting into the Top 32 within 2 years, but unless he changes his lifestyle and turns full time professional, will not be consistent enough to get anywhere near Top 16.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Rout wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:15 pm

Educated opinion

It's ok. I didn't specify which year
UKDA 4 Life
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Rout wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:15 pm

Educated opinion

It's ok. I didn't specify which year
That wont matter. Itll get twisted into that you said he would win the UK open this year. Without dropping a leg. With several 9 darters.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
brainim
The Ton Club

Post by brainim »

Durrant was a later bloomer where as waites was an early one and is now past his best, anyone that thinks waites will do better than him are deluded.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 am He has the abilty to do what Duzza has done. No doubt.
However I don't think he has the dedication. And never has had, otherwise he would have jumped some time ago.

He's just had his hand forced by the World Pro debacle and the imminent demise of the BDO.

Not having dedication is not why he hasn’t moved to the PDC before but circumstances and being right are as he said in his interview yesterday. He also said he’s going to put in the hours and it’ll be the kick he needed. That is a good point given how many players didn’t do much in the BDO but when they moved to the PDC they found another level because they had to. Waites clearly has that level in him and as some have said here in the recent past, in terms of age of a dart player he’s about to hit his peak.

As for having his hand forced, well not really as he entered Q School last year.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

DavidB wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:01 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 am He has the abilty to do what Duzza has done. No doubt.
However I don't think he has the dedication. And never has had, otherwise he would have jumped some time ago.

He's just had his hand forced by the World Pro debacle and the imminent demise of the BDO.

Not having dedication is not why he hasn’t moved to the PDC before but circumstances and being right are as he said in his interview yesterday. He also said he’s going to put in the hours and it’ll be the kick he needed. That is a good point given how many players didn’t do much in the BDO but when they moved to the PDC they found another level because they had to. Waites clearly has that level in him and as some have said here in the recent past, in terms of age of a dart player he’s about to hit his peak.

As for having his hand forced, well not really as he entered Q School last year.
Agree with much of that. However, I think the kick is that the BDO prize money debacle means he no longer gets an easy few quid 2 or 3 times a year and he knows he won't be able to coast in the PDC.

Fair play. Likeable, talented player. I hope he does well.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Britishnewf wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:25 am No one knows but who’s to say he can’t do well, he has the pedigree.

Everyone always says moving up a level into the PDC can help your game improve. There are lots of players who never did that great in the BDO that have gone on to win PDC majors, Waites all ready comes in as major winner.

Yup and no doubt that Scott Waites was the best player left in the BDO and he was the one player everyone wanted to see in the PDC.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:06 pm
DavidB wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Agree with much of that. However, I think the kick is that the BDO prize money debacle means he no longer gets an easy few quid 2 or 3 times a year and he knows he won't be able to coast in the PDC.

Fair play. Likeable, talented player. I hope he does well.

Indeed, he knows it and it’s going to be great seeing what Waites does and I can’t wait myself!!!
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

brainim wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:51 pm Durrant was a later bloomer where as waites was an early one and is now past his best, anyone that thinks waites will do better than him are deluded.
Well I don't think anybody would ever expect him to match what Durrant has done.. Durrant was at his absolute peak when switching... Durrant is incredibly consistent without being amazing and that will win a lot of matches... Waites had not got that consistency now so I can see good runs along the way along with early defeats..
But I do think he will be far more motivated than for a good while and should do pretty well
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

QS turned out to be really exciting and it was great that Waites got his card. Just a pity that Big Robbo had a few bad draws and didnt quite get there.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Astonvilla wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:40 pm QS turned out to be really exciting and it was great that Waites got his card. Just a pity that Big Robbo had a few bad draws and didnt quite get there.
Absolutely. Only thing between Big Robbo and his Tour Card was a few bad draws.

Should have got a bye to at least the Last 8. ;-)

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ssjsa wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:45 pm
Astonvilla wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:40 pm QS turned out to be really exciting and it was great that Waites got his card. Just a pity that Big Robbo had a few bad draws and didnt quite get there.
Absolutely. Only thing between Big Robbo and his Tour Card was a few bad draws.
And his ability.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Oh dear.......
Everything goes over your head, doesn't it?
In every sense of the phrase.