Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
User avatar
phil davies
International
Posts: 8743
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Cwmbran

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by phil davies » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:33 pm

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:48 pm
oche balboa wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm
Or try and have more boards. Or actually move it away from Riley's
Is the correct answer.
I agree but if their insistent on keeping it their just have to make it best of three till you get down to the quarters.
Founder of the Rune David fan club PM me to join

Current members Myself, revans180 and FlashDarts.

dartsyoungun
The Ton Club
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by dartsyoungun » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am

Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 65161
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Ginge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 am

dartsyoungun wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am
Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?
There are no Rileys in the north east.

Rileys are a sponsor.

And that ends that discussion. I mean, it can just go round in circles this. Until Rileys are not the sponsor, or until they open a branch in the north east, then there wont be a qualifier there. Same applies to NI and to Wales, although people from north/mid Wales can always make the perilous journey to Wolves or Chester from there if they so wish.

User avatar
Paddy McGinty
International
Posts: 24352
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 am
Contact:

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Paddy McGinty » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:33 am

Ginge wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 am
dartsyoungun wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am
Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?
There are no Rileys in the north east.

Rileys are a sponsor.

And that ends that discussion. I mean, it can just go round in circles this. Until Rileys are not the sponsor, or until they open a branch in the north east, then there wont be a qualifier there. Same applies to NI and to Wales, although people from north/mid Wales can always make the perilous journey to Wolves or Chester from there if they so wish.
Are you going Ninge? The red coats are waiting......
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"

User avatar
phil davies
International
Posts: 8743
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Cwmbran

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by phil davies » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Ginge wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 am
dartsyoungun wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am
Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?
There are no Rileys in the north east.

Rileys are a sponsor.

And that ends that discussion. I mean, it can just go round in circles this. Until Rileys are not the sponsor, or until they open a branch in the north east, then there wont be a qualifier there. Same applies to NI and to Wales, although people from north/mid Wales can always make the perilous journey to Wolves or Chester from there if they so wish.
Aye if your from mid wales it’s pretty easy and quicker to get a train to Wolves than it is too Cardiff anyway.

It is a bit crap how it run/the areas without one etc. But it isn’t going to change unless Riley’s stop their sponsorship.
Founder of the Rune David fan club PM me to join

Current members Myself, revans180 and FlashDarts.

Rout
International
Posts: 7897
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Rout » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Ginge wrote:
dartsyoungun wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am
Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?
There are no Rileys in the north east.

Rileys are a sponsor.

And that ends that discussion. I mean, it can just go round in circles this. Until Rileys are not the sponsor, or until they open a branch in the north east, then there wont be a qualifier there. Same applies to NI and to Wales, although people from north/mid Wales can always make the perilous journey to Wolves or Chester from there if they so wish.
If a NI qualifier was held in a venue that wasn't a Rileys, how would that harm Rileys or the sponsorship agreement that's in place?

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 65161
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Ginge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Rout wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Ginge wrote:
dartsyoungun wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am
Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?
There are no Rileys in the north east.

Rileys are a sponsor.

And that ends that discussion. I mean, it can just go round in circles this. Until Rileys are not the sponsor, or until they open a branch in the north east, then there wont be a qualifier there. Same applies to NI and to Wales, although people from north/mid Wales can always make the perilous journey to Wolves or Chester from there if they so wish.
If a NI qualifier was held in a venue that wasn't a Rileys, how would that harm Rileys or the sponsorship agreement that's in place?
Well it would be one less qualifier happening in Rileys, so less profit going over their bar into the till.

The only way areas that dont have a qualifier will now get one is with a change of sponsor imo, they clearly arent rushing to open more branches. And I cant see the PDC wanting to dump a sponsor just so they get a NI j0bber in as opposed to a Midlands j0bber.

Rout
International
Posts: 7897
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Rout » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:18 pm


Ginge wrote:
Rout wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Ginge wrote:
dartsyoungun wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am
Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?
There are no Rileys in the north east.

Rileys are a sponsor.

And that ends that discussion. I mean, it can just go round in circles this. Until Rileys are not the sponsor, or until they open a branch in the north east, then there wont be a qualifier there. Same applies to NI and to Wales, although people from north/mid Wales can always make the perilous journey to Wolves or Chester from there if they so wish.
If a NI qualifier was held in a venue that wasn't a Rileys, how would that harm Rileys or the sponsorship agreement that's in place?
Well it would be one less qualifier happening in Rileys, so less profit going over their bar into the till.

The only way areas that dont have a qualifier will now get one is with a change of sponsor imo, they clearly arent rushing to open more branches. And I cant see the PDC wanting to dump a sponsor just so they get a NI j0bber in as opposed to a Midlands j0bber.
Why would there have to be one less qualifier in rileys? Why couldn't they have a NI qualifier on top of the existing ones?

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 65161
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Ginge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:24 pm

Rout wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:18 pm
Ginge wrote:
Rout wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Ginge wrote:
dartsyoungun wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am
Another couple of venues maybe one in the north east?
There are no Rileys in the north east.

Rileys are a sponsor.

And that ends that discussion. I mean, it can just go round in circles this. Until Rileys are not the sponsor, or until they open a branch in the north east, then there wont be a qualifier there. Same applies to NI and to Wales, although people from north/mid Wales can always make the perilous journey to Wolves or Chester from there if they so wish.
If a NI qualifier was held in a venue that wasn't a Rileys, how would that harm Rileys or the sponsorship agreement that's in place?
Well it would be one less qualifier happening in Rileys, so less profit going over their bar into the till.

The only way areas that dont have a qualifier will now get one is with a change of sponsor imo, they clearly arent rushing to open more branches. And I cant see the PDC wanting to dump a sponsor just so they get a NI j0bber in as opposed to a Midlands j0bber.
Why would there have to be one less qualifier in rileys? Why couldn't they have a NI qualifier on top of the existing ones?
Well, they could, but they you have an extra match. And a nice unround 17 qualifiers. Cant see them going for that to be honest. I doubt they care there isnt a NI qualifier so everyone is p8ssing in the wind here.

Rout
International
Posts: 7897
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Rout » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Have 4 qualifiers in areas that have a rileys absolutely nowhere near then. Making a nice round 20. In an 8 board comp with 160+ entrants, its really not gonna make much difference to run logistically. The number of entries in the finals has fluctuated over the years for various reasons hasnt it?

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 65161
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Ginge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:38 pm

It has, its only the last few years they have decided on a cap of a round number, I assume for broadcasting reasons.

But again, I doubt they give a toss there are no NI j0bber players there so why would they go to the expense of running 4 extra events independent of a Rileys?

Rout
International
Posts: 7897
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Rout » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:46 pm

What expense? £8 entry fee x 200 possible entrants = £1600

Plus several grand over the bar for the venue.

Pretty sure that would cover the cost of putting on a day long darts comp between them given not a penny is paid back out.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 65161
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Ginge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:51 pm

And again, why bother? The PDC wont give a shiny shiiiite. If they actually cared they would have remedied it by now, Rileys have been shutting at a rate for years. Clearly they are happy for them to hold 16 (some venues having more than one) and thats it.

Rout
International
Posts: 7897
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Rout » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Ginge wrote:And again, why bother? The PDC wont give a shiny shiiiite.
This is sport. People dont follow pdc darts to avidly watch their bank balance grow. It's because they are fans of sport. When you run a sport, you have a responsibility to try and supply fairness, a level playing field and opportunities. It might not make you any extra immediate opportunities to make more money, but in the bigger picture it will.

Isnt this meant to be the one tournament that they run that's about inclusivity, having amateur participants and so on?

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 65161
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Ginge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:04 pm

They just dont care where they come from, aye.

Black Velvet
County Player
Posts: 2945
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Black Velvet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:22 pm

Darts isn’t a sport.

oche balboa
International
Posts: 12420
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by oche balboa » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 pm

I'm surprised Rileys are still around tbf.
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

oche balboa
International
Posts: 12420
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by oche balboa » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:27 pm

in 2009 for example there was only 4 qualifiers held (8 qualified from them)
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 65161
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Ginge » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:30 pm

oche balboa wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 pm
I'm surprised Rileys are still around tbf.
Last time I went in one it wasnt overly cheap for a pint and this was hardly a city centre branch either.

Zapp Brannigan
County Player
Posts: 4500
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Re: Ladbrokes 2020 UK Open 6-8 March Somerset

Post by Zapp Brannigan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:00 pm

oche balboa wrote:I'm surprised Rileys are still around tbf.
Same

Tbf the independent pool and snooker places are thriving now, just don’t see a national chain making much money

The pub that was a Riley’s in town is now ran by a guy that loves his games. has the county pool side there, 2 pool leagues, a snooker league, 2 weekly darts competitions, monthly opens and cheap beer. Every Ppv boxing on a ticketed event as well

Went there for the weekly ko a few months back when I got back playing and it was one of the most well run tournaments I’ve played in. 6 boards, each board a group of 4 players that played each other in a round robin, winners and runners up went to knockouts, 3rd place went to a 9 darts shoutout . Was there 3 hours and got 5 games in.


Post Reply

Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”