Idea to improve Q School

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
PVDarts501
Steady Sixties

Re: Idea to improve Q School

Post by PVDarts501 »

I would like to see an increase to 256 Tour Card-holders. Top 192 keeps card. With about 64 Tour Cards you can do a lot more in terms of rewarding affiliated tours.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

PVDarts501 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:26 pm I would like to see an increase to 256 Tour Card-holders. Top 192 keeps card. With about 64 Tour Cards you can do a lot more in terms of rewarding affiliated tours.
So twice as many matches each floor tour event? 192 get zero prize money instead of 64, the events take twice as long (they take 5-6 hours already to play 127 matches), jokers who would be nowhere near a card then get a card and no-one actually benefits from it.

Great idea, Pieter!! Cant believe this hasnt happened sooner.
PVDarts501
Steady Sixties

Post by PVDarts501 »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:31 pm
PVDarts501 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:26 pm I would like to see an increase to 256 Tour Card-holders. Top 192 keeps card. With about 64 Tour Cards you can do a lot more in terms of rewarding affiliated tours.
So twice as many matches each floor tour event? 192 get zero prize money instead of 64, the events take twice as long (they take 5-6 hours already to play 127 matches), jokers who would be nowhere near a card then get a card and no-one actually benefits from it.

Move Pro Tour to bigger venue, more boards and it wont be that bad.

Barry Hearn wants to increase prize money to 20 million in future so enough money to make sure 128 people will get prize money instead of 64.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Why would the PDC dilute both the quality, and competitiveness of their premier Darts Tour.

The Pro Tour represents the cream of the available darting talent, and will stay that way under the current structure.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:20 pm
Murphio wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:52 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:37 pm - Top 4 ranked BDO players automatically get a tour card.

- Last 4 of the BDO World Championship automatically get a tour card.

- WDF World Champion and top ranked player automatically get a tour card
This 'improves Q School' how exactly? You want to potentially remove 10 cards - a third of the total - and leave the hundreds of other players to fight it out over two schools for 10 cards a piece? As ideas for 'improving Q School' go I don't think you have really thought this through.
Its a wind up from our resident multiple.
As if tHe PDC would help out BDO players ahead of their own.
Leave him be and maybe he'll disappear up his own backside.....
Yes, I know. And it was a fail of epic proportions.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

PVDarts501 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:34 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Move Pro Tour to bigger venue, more boards and it wont be that bad.

Barry Hearn wants to increase prize money to 20 million in future so enough money to make sure 128 people will get prize money instead of 64.
And all the extra running costs, overheads and prize money will miraculously appear out of thin air?

Newsflash - the PDC prefers profits over hand-outs.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ssjsa wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 pm
Why would the PDC dilute both the quality, and competitiveness of their premier Darts Tour.

The Pro Tour represents the cream of the available darting talent, and will stay that way under the current structure.
No, no, no! Why not make it 1024 players with cards. 64 boards every day with electronic scoring and markers and first round losers get a guaranteed £1,000 out of a daily pay out of £2 million pounds per event.

The PDC will pay for all this, obviously.
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

I don't really see what's so wrong with Q-school that it needs fixing, so to speak. Scott Waites, Nick Kenny, Martijn Kleermaker, Wesley Harms and Lisa Ashton all made it through. There were 31 places available, surely that's enough? Yeah, best of 9 legs is a short format, but is that so different to most floor tournaments?
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:46 pm
Black Velvet wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:44 pm
Dannyboy wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:42 pm Wouldn’t disagree in giving the semi finalists of the WDF Championship a tour card or the top 4 ranked. Not both.

Add in the women’s ranking leader, more from CT / DT and best from each of the affiliated tours.
Agreed.
If you agree it emphasises the trolling all the more. As if your help was needed.

End of thread.
Get some fresh air mate. It can’t be healthy staying in on your own trolling all the time.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

It is not helping out the BDO. It is helping everyone.

The lower divisions are made to matter more and the best players are promoted to the PDC.
meetthefeebles
County Player

Post by meetthefeebles »

Bingo. Bazza has no interest in running anything other than the best available games of darts. It is the PDC's entire marketing speil. He has absolutely no interest whatsoever in bringing in another hundred or so jobbers to start filling out the ranks. It's one of the many, many reason Q-School isn't broadcast, anywhere. He won't make the mistakes the BDO make. If it isn't absolutely premium quality, it's out.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:44 pm

No, no, no! Why not make it 1024 players with cards. 64 boards every day with electronic scoring and markers and first round losers get a guaranteed £1,000 out of a daily pay out of £2 million pounds per event.

I'd have responded less sarcastically, but basically the same way.

PDC Number 64, Matthew Edgar, earned 60,000 over 2 years.
PDC Number 97, Christian Kist earned 18,750 over 2 years.

They're quite a way away from a larger tour, unless they significantly change the distribution.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

£59,999 spent on Edgar Tvvvvvvvvv
NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH »

1205 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:03 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:44 pm

I'd have responded less sarcastically, but basically the same way.

PDC Number 64, Matthew Edgar, earned 60,000 over 2 years.
PDC Number 97, Christian Kist earned 18,750 over 2 years.

They're quite a way away from a larger tour, unless they significantly change the distribution.
Sarcasm is the bread and butter of darts fora :)

But yeah, there simply isn't the money to support a larger tour. I suppose the likes of Scott Mitchell, Keane Barry, Jim Williams, Tricole, Justin van Tergouw and Zoran Lerchbacher qualifying would have been nice but generally those who didn't qualify can have few complaints after having 5 chances to do so.
brainim
The Ton Club

Post by brainim »

why the hell would/should the PDC prioritise players on the BDO tour by giving them cards over players on their own Challenge tour and Development tours? they can just give cards to them or let them play for them at Q school like what they already do, Barry is not going to help the BDO until the people running it implement the changes he wants them to make.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

brainim wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 pm why the hell would/should the PDC prioritise players on the BDO tour by giving them cards over players on their own Challenge tour and Development tours? they can just give cards to them or let them play for them at Q school like what they already do, Barry is not going to help the BDO until the people running it implement the changes he wants them to make.
They wouldn't.
But Wazza and Rout like to pretend that they would because their sad lives are otherwise empty.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
brainim wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 pm why the hell would/should the PDC prioritise players on the BDO tour by giving them cards over players on their own Challenge tour and Development tours? they can just give cards to them or let them play for them at Q school like what they already do, Barry is not going to help the BDO until the people running it implement the changes he wants them to make.
They wouldn't.
But Wazza and Rout like to pretend that they would because their sad lives are otherwise empty.
I don't really agree with it tbh.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

My ideas:
2 tour cards to the WDF World Championship finalists (I'm assuming there'll be some entente between the PDC and the WDF, this would be a good way to formalise it)
4 tour cards to the DT and CT each, if you can prove yourself at a high level over 20 events, you have a good chance on the tour
Introduce an Asian, North American and Australasian Q-School, with one spot each. The guys that top those Orders of Merit are bound to be good players, but may not have any interest in relocating halfway around the world, this method opens it up a bit more to some slightly lesser players perhaps (tbf, Kai Fan Leung hasn't exactly been one of the leading lights on the Asian Tour, and he won a card in the UK Q-School), but should mean that only those who want to commit to moving to the UK enter
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

Why is anyone responding to a wind up.

My Q School thougt

PDC is equal to everyone. Don't believe Q School is a lottery. If over 4 days you don't win a card then you aint good enough.

Nobody in any code not associated with PDC should be offered a card.

I would ban players from Q School the following year if they attend it and play in less than 25% of CT events, some 100% go knowing they have zero chance, zero interest in CT events and for some crazy reason buy a ticket for £450 to watch it.

If like Murray this year you have a card on points after day 3 you cant play day 4. It's the same as winning one outright, you enter to win a card not to play in 4 comps.

Lastly if after 2 days your average is below 65 you are banned for the last 2 days and next 2 Q Schools. This would ensure you only get players with genuine ability entering.
Thinking of one.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

The Crusader wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:39 am Why is anyone responding to a wind up.

My Q School thougt

PDC is equal to everyone. Don't believe Q School is a lottery. If over 4 days you don't win a card then you aint good enough.

Nobody in any code not associated with PDC should be offered a card.

I would ban players from Q School the following year if they attend it and play in less than 25% of CT events, some 100% go knowing they have zero chance, zero interest in CT events and for some crazy reason buy a ticket for £450 to watch it.

If like Murray this year you have a card on points after day 3 you cant play day 4. It's the same as winning one outright, you enter to win a card not to play in 4 comps.

Lastly if after 2 days your average is below 65 you are banned for the last 2 days and next 2 Q Schools. This would ensure you only get players with genuine ability entering.
Clearly not a 'lottery', although anything can happen over 4 days, I'd rather the tours over 20 days had more importance.

I think something like that is the way to go, obviously with some exemptions, like players coming from abroad who aren't going to go up and down England for a pittance, or if a player has a personal emergency.

Not sure if they should ban people with low averages, a) it goes against the ethos of 'anyone can have a go', and b) it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a good player can have an absolute mare. Tricole hit a sub 60 and almost won a tour card, Heta averaged about 70 in one game and is absolutely mint. Maybe think of adding a first and second stage, one for more amateur players, with the best then going on to compete with the big names for a tour card