Unicorn boards

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Unicorn boards

Post by Wazza180 »

I've lost count how many players have complained about the boards, not good when you think Unicorn are PDC shareholders.

Another case of profit and politics prevailing over the good of the sport?
ILAD
International

Re: Unicorn boards

Post by ILAD »

They are on par with the L style 180 boards, why did Des dump Winmau? Was that profit and politics prevailing over the good of the sport?
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Demolition_fan
Pub Champion

Post by Demolition_fan »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:22 pm I've lost count how many players have complained about the boards, not good when you think Unicorn are PDC shareholders.

Another case of profit and politics prevailing over the good of the sport?
No
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

ILAD wrote:They are on par with the L style 180 boards, why did Des dump Winmau? Was that profit and politics prevailing over the good of the sport?
Yes.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

I have a lot of sympathy for board manufacturers, if they make a product that lasts for years they get no repeat business and the higher price tag would put off initial sales. They produce a board that's price pointed, which will last a reasonable time but can be wholesaled to be sold at a £30/£40 price point. We've all become dartboard snobs, expecting to pay the same price as we did 20 years ago and get the same durable product.
You cannot have the penny and the bun.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

I think the issue that Ian is talking about is the use of previously used boards in the latest CT events. The eclipse pro lacks the durability of the Blade 5 by quite some distance, but there seems to have been an improvement in terms of what I have seen in the recent PDC televised comps.

Perhaps Ed can provide some input as to whether they are looking at improving durability or are they sticking to the line that it is the players points that are causing the issues?
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Booji Boy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:30 pm I think the issue that Ian is talking about is the use of previously used boards in the latest CT events. The eclipse pro lacks the durability of the Blade 5 by quite some distance, but there seems to have been an improvement in terms of what I have seen in the recent PDC televised comps.

Perhaps Ed can provide some input as to whether they are looking at improving durability or are they sticking to the line that it is the players points that are causing the issues?
Some of the points are ridiculous and really should be banned due to the damage they do.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Booji Boy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:30 pm I think the issue that Ian
:grin: :grin:
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

nikkiboy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 pm
Booji Boy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:30 pm I think the issue that Ian is talking about is the use of previously used boards in the latest CT events. The eclipse pro lacks the durability of the Blade 5 by quite some distance, but there seems to have been an improvement in terms of what I have seen in the recent PDC televised comps.

Some of the points are ridiculous and really should be banned due to the damage they do.
The allan key ones are absolutely ridiculous. The Target Storm ones pull all the sisal out too.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Black Velvet wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:36 pm
nikkiboy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 pm

The allan key ones are absolutely ridiculous. The Target Storm ones pull all the sisal out too.
Exactly, these muppets can selfishly ruin a board in six legs.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

At least the Storm ones have a purpose and aid with grip. No reason ever to use the allan key ones.

That said, the Storm ones never seemed to ruin the Blade 4/5, maybe the fault lies with the manufacturer of the TV specials to a degree.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Imagine the damage to the boards if they used Allen keys.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Black Velvet wrote:At least the Storm ones have a purpose and aid with grip. No reason ever to use the allan key ones.

That said, the Storm ones never seemed to ruin the Blade 4/5, maybe the fault lies with the manufacturer of the TV specials to a degree.
They dont pack enough sisal into eclipse boards. Very noticable difference of the weight of the boards compared to other top price boards. Unicorn are much lighter as they have much less sisal in. So when you pull the darts out, its more likely that some sisal will come out along with the darts, which is why the unicorn boards always clump up and end up with petrusions and lumps all over the t20 area.

Gripped or ridged points will affect all dart boards more than smooth points. As you say it happens less on better quality boards like the winmau just like it happens less with smooth points.

I guess if you are shareholders and are able to market your boards as the official product of the pdc, you can afford to skimp on quality, safe in the knowledge that the pdc wont bin you off and casual fans will buy your product because of the branding, but I am seeing them less and less used at leagues and comps as there are much more durable options in that price range.

Doesnt help their cause when professional players speak out more and more on it though.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

Rout wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:23 pm
Black Velvet wrote:At least the Storm ones have a purpose and aid with grip. No reason ever to use the allan key ones.

They dont pack enough sisal into eclipse boards. Very noticable difference of the weight of the boards compared to other top price boards. Unicorn are much lighter as they have much less sisal in. So when you pull the darts out, its more likely that some sisal will come out along with the darts, which is why the unicorn boards always clump up and end up with petrusions and lumps all over the t20 area.

Gripped or ridged points will affect all dart boards more than smooth points. As you say it happens less on better quality boards like the winmau just like it happens less with smooth points.

I guess if you are shareholders and are able to market your boards as the official product of the pdc, you can afford to skimp on quality, safe in the knowledge that the pdc wont bin you off and casual fans will buy your product because of the branding, but I am seeing them less and less used at leagues and comps as there are much more durable options in that price range.

Doesnt help their cause when professional players speak out more and more on it though.
:DDDD:
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

I get that Unicorn also sponsor this forum, but you really can't defend the unicorn boards, they are dreadful and have been since the HD came out.

The PDC should stop defending them and demand better results.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Wazza180 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm I get that Unicorn also sponsor this forum, but you really can't defend the unicorn boards, they are dreadful and have been since the HD came out.

They don’t sponsor the forum and yes they are noticeably breaking up after about 4 visits.
Anyone that isn’t blind can see it, what the PDC use is up to them. They won’t be changing anytime soon, get over it
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ILAD wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:26 pm They are on par with the L style 180 boards, why did Des dump Winmau? Was that profit and politics prevailing over the good of the sport?
I suspect Winmau dumped Des.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Wazza180 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm I get that Unicorn also sponsor this forum, but you really can't defend the unicorn boards, they are dreadful and have been since the HD came out.

Unicorn have had no commercial tie up with this forum since November 2018. We were always grateful for their sponsorship as we are now for Red Dragon being our current sponsors, but at no time have we ever censored any comment on darts equipment, regardless of which commercial relationship we have had in place.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ssjsa wrote:

Unicorn have had no commercial tie up with this forum since November 2018. We were always grateful for their sponsorship as we are now for Red Dragon being our current sponsors, but at no time have we ever censored any comment on darts equipment, regardless of which commercial relationship we have had in place.
Thats not strictly true. Lee Taylor used to delete all the negative comments about Fit Flights or whatever they were called.
Big Jock Knew
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Ginge wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:52 pm
ssjsa wrote:

Thats not strictly true. Lee Taylor used to delete all the negative comments about Fit Flights or whatever they were called.
From memory, any constructive criticism was allowed.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner