Wazza180
Pub Champion

Re: The PDC doesn't need the BDO?

Post by Wazza180 »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:12 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:02 pm
hankeys_taint wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:11 pm
Where have I defended the Jacklins' behaviour?

All if I did was add a bit of balance to the conversation. The basement dwellers are just as bad as the Jacklins.
Thing is, you don't actually add any balance. At least not anything that is reasoned. Yes, currently the BDO will supply the PDC with their talent. That's because players have to start somewhere and only progress to the PDC if they're good enough. Whilst the BDO (and others) provide this supply of talent, why should the PDC waste resources in developing their own?

Players generally aspire to reach the PDC which means they don't have to worry about finding the next big thing. At the moment, they are the main player and people go to them. If that changes, then I'm sure they will change their focus and look to develop the youngsters.

PDC do not have any requirement to help grassroots darts - that's not their business. However, they do help by offering a route to actually earning proper money and fame.
So the PDC is dependent on the BDO in some ways?

Good to know.
Not a jot. No-one is dependent on the BDO.

If the BDO folded tomorrow pub players would still find a route to the PDC and something else would fill the little bits of the void that were actually missed.
Probably the WDF.

County, Opens, Challenge Tour and Dev Tour, UK Open quals, whatever would provide a development route. Or players could just play those comps if they didn't want to go to the show.

If the BDO folded life would just carry on.

Nobody *needs* the BDO. Except maybe the Jacklins.
The point is that the PDC is still somewhat dependent on the BDO.

For all the abuse directed at the BDO, for which I might add is not just because of the Jacklins' conduct, it has benefited darts in recent times. It still supplies the PDC with some of the world's best players.
hankeys_taint
Brass Darts

Post by hankeys_taint »

Good to know.
No, they just use them as it's cheap.

Think of wrestling at the moment. WWE will buy in wrestlers who are already known / trained etc. It's easier then training unknowns. Sure, they have their own development farms but it's easier to buy in. Same with PDC. If a source of players ends, look elsewhere.

BDO are just a stepping stone as it stands. PDC uses it currently, not reliant on it though.
I am a man from Cork
Bo selecta has great norks
Des found me deep
And bo does she seep
So all three did bork
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Wazza do you laugh when you post this shite?
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
hankeys_taint
Brass Darts

Post by hankeys_taint »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:55 pm It still supplies the PDC with some of the world's best players.
Because it's there. If it folds, something will take its place and equally supply players. The PDC is the top dog; it takes the best from wherever.
I am a man from Cork
Des found me deep
And bo does she seep
So all three did bork
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

hankeys_taint wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 pm

Good to know.
No, they just use them as it's cheap.

Think of wrestling at the moment. WWE will buy in wrestlers who are already known / trained etc. It's easier then training unknowns. Sure, they have their own development farms but it's easier to buy in. Same with PDC. If a source of players ends, look elsewhere.

BDO are just a stepping stone as it stands. PDC uses it currently, not reliant on it though.
You are missing the point.

The point is that presently the PDC greatly benefits from the BDO's existence. Maybe that will change in the future, but for now, it remains true,
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

ILAD wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 pm Wazza do you laugh when you post this shite?
Ah, another basement dweller.
PreciesJJ
The Ton Club

Post by PreciesJJ »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:55 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:12 pm
hankeys_taint wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:11 pm
Where have I defended the Jacklins' behaviour?

All if I did was add a bit of balance to the conversation. The basement dwellers are just as bad as the Jacklins.
Thing is, you don't actually add any balance. At least not anything that is reasoned. Yes, currently the BDO will supply the PDC with their talent. That's because players have to start somewhere and only progress to the PDC if they're good enough. Whilst the BDO (and others) provide this supply of talent, why should the PDC waste resources in developing their own?

Players generally aspire to reach the PDC which means they don't have to worry about finding the next big thing. At the moment, they are the main player and people go to them. If that changes, then I'm sure they will change their focus and look to develop the youngsters.

PDC do not have any requirement to help grassroots darts - that's not their business. However, they do help by offering a route to actually earning proper money and fame.

Good to know.
Not a jot. No-one is dependent on the BDO.

If the BDO folded tomorrow pub players would still find a route to the PDC and something else would fill the little bits of the void that were actually missed.
Probably the WDF.

County, Opens, Challenge Tour and Dev Tour, UK Open quals, whatever would provide a development route. Or players could just play those comps if they didn't want to go to the show.

If the BDO folded life would just carry on.

Nobody *needs* the BDO. Except maybe the Jacklins.
The point is that the PDC is still somewhat dependent on the BDO.

For all the abuse directed at the BDO, for which I might add is not just because of the Jacklins' conduct, it has benefited darts in recent times. It still supplies the PDC with some of the world's best players.
The PDC is not dependent on the BDO, but on grassroots darts. If the BDO folds nothing would change for the PDC as there is still the WDF and Local Organisations, so that says to me they aren't dependent on the BDO.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Benefitting and being dependent are two totally different statements.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
hankeys_taint
Brass Darts

Post by hankeys_taint »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:58 pm

The point is that presently the PDC greatly benefits from the BDO's existence. Maybe that will change in the future, but for now, it remains true,
No, the point is, the PDC uses the BDO as it's convenient. It doesn't need it, as per your thread title.
I am a man from Cork
Des found me deep
And bo does she seep
So all three did bork
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 pm
ILAD wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 pm Wazza do you laugh when you post this shite?
And you still post shite.

Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

ILAD wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:00 pm Benefitting and being dependent are two totally different statements.
Whichever you pick, the BDO still has its place.

If it gets replaced, fine. But for now, the PDC is heavily reliant on it.
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

ILAD wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:01 pm
Shouldn't you be fluffing the Irishman's pillows?
Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

hankeys_taint wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:01 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:58 pm

No, the point is, the PDC uses the BDO as it's convenient. It doesn't need it, as per your thread title.
Fine.

The PDC heavily benefits from the BDO. Is that better?
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:04 pm
Why is that? Enlighten me.

Wazza180
Pub Champion

Post by Wazza180 »

ILAD wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:08 pm
Because you are just another fanboy.

I shouldn't be giving you the attention.
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:10 pm
ILAD wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:08 pm

Because you are just another fanboy.

I shouldn't be giving you the attention.
You really need to cut down on the alcohol.

brainim
The Ton Club

Post by brainim »

The BDO does nothing but hold players back, the people you mention op could have been stars a lot sooner, even without the BDO.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:03 pm
ILAD wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:00 pm Benefitting and being dependent are two totally different statements.
Whichever you pick, the BDO still has its place.

If it gets replaced, fine. But for now, the PDC is heavily reliant on it.
You really need to look up the word "reliant".

The use them and asset strip them because it's easy and cheap. If the BDO folds they carry on regardless.
They no not need nor are they remotely reliant upon the the BDO in any way shape or form.

It's like saying the Premier League football clubs need the Championship. They don't. People will still play football and there are other feeder routes to player progression.

The PDC wouldn't give a flying feck if the BDO collapsed tomorrow - or whenever they have to pay the TV contracrors and the prize money by.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Those bloody contracrors
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
hankeys_taint
Brass Darts

Post by hankeys_taint »

Wazza180 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:05 pm

The PDC heavily benefits from the BDO. Is that better?
I'll give you 'benefits'.
I am a man from Cork
Des found me deep
And bo does she seep
So all three did bork