Heard a rumour? - Post it here
RIPLionheart
Brass Darts

Re: Des Jacklin

Post by RIPLionheart »

TimmyB wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:23 pm
Ginge wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:09 pm
TimmyB wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:08 pm
RIPLionheart wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:26 pm I was about to say his greatest achievement is hoodwinking the BDO members and players for two years whilst running the organisation into ground and lining his own/wife’s pockets with zero comeback or opposition from within the BDO. However on reflection I don’t think this is much of an achievement when the players and officials are so lazy, self interested and apathetic. To con this lot doesnt take any skill - just empty promises and a bag of magic beans does the trick.
Can you expand on this?
He paid himself a whole 15 fookin grand in the last financial year, hardly a "lining of pockets".
Also, Des And Paula have been running their overseas events years prior to him becoming Chair.
I’d say £15k when you can only afford to pay your “world” champion £23k and people have had to get the begging bowl out to top up women’s fund is lining, That’s before you start on the conflict of interest stuff in using the BDO to front and advertise personal business interests. Is that enough for a starter?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Are yoy actually saying someone who is obviously putting some hours in (OK probably not the amount he claims) shouldnt pay himself £15k per year before tax?
Big Jock Knew
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Does it have Directors expenses anywhere?
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ILAD wrote:Does it have Directors expenses anywhere?
No just the £15k to Des and about £6k to Sue.
Big Jock Knew
ILAD
International

Post by ILAD »

Ginge wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:57 pm
ILAD wrote:Does it have Directors expenses anywhere?
No just the £15k to Des and about £6k to Sue.
That’s a shame.
Des Jacklin: ‘People say the BDO can’t compete with the PDC, but that is the biggest load of crap in the world’

God rest Alf Garnett and Prince Phil.

I used to love cycling but unfortunately I know a man who doesn’t like cyclists. :roadrage:
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Addicks Fan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:16 pm
Dellboy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 pm Been a BDO director now for over 2 years, with this in mind what would you say his biggest achievements are so far?
Getting rid of Sue. Undoubtedly his biggest achievement. Unfortunately for the BDO his achievement has merely replaced one incompetent with another, neither of whom can communicate.

Binning the Sportotal contract I suppose could just about count as an achievement.

I would say removing the restrictions on PDC players and BDO Worlds players competing at Q-School, but to be honest that has not strengthened the BDO at all, rather the opposite.

Er...that's it!
I think that removing the ban on players attending Q School has made no significant difference in the short term and will only be better in the long term as players can be ambitious and play at the top level of the BDO until they make the PDC Tour, or, like Andy Hamilton, make it back onto the PDC Tour.

Or at least that _would_ be the case, but the BDO have been deluding themselves about what they can afford, running it like they still have the Channel 4 contract.
benito
Feather Flights

Post by benito »

ILAD wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 pmLasting 2 years
:DDD:
DaveSproull
Feather Flights

Post by DaveSproull »

Dellboy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:21 pm
ssjsa wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:58 pm Have posted this before, but only decent thing Des has done in his tenure as BDO Chairman, was to relax the rules in regard to Lakeside players being able to play Q School without recourse. Without that ruling, Durrant would not have played PDC last year.

So Des Jacklin's biggest achievements was introducing a rule that lost the BDO their best male and female players diluting the quality of their tournaments?
It might seem counterintuitive, but this move actually helps grow the BDO. Yes it hurts right now to lose people like Durant and Ashton, but lets face it, Hearn isn't paying the PDC champ 23k. Even middling PDC players make a lot more, and well dart players have families to support (or at least dart supplies to buy and bar bills to pay off) and you can't really begrudge someone for wanting to make a decent bit of money if they are good enough.
This is not pro or anti one organization or the other. It is just common sense.

What allowing BDO players to go to Q school, and eventually thrive in a PDC environment, is that it shows the BDO as a proving ground that is capable of producing top level (and hence top earning ) players.

This will inspire the next Glen Durant or Lisa Ashton and the next and the next to come to the PDC through the BDO. (plus I dont think they are banned from also playing in BDO events so why not do both?)

Sadly this might all be meaningless as he seems to have made a mess of everything else and pride and ego seems to block him from any kind of constructive engagement. The guy might also want to be a little more professional and conciliatory with his communications strategy.
Sometimes you just need to know how to talk to people.
Des (and well largely Paula I suspect): if you read this, stop taking interweb comments so personally and remember that you attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

(as a quick side note, I think that this might be my first post. )
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

DaveSproull wrote:
Dellboy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:21 pm
ssjsa wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:58 pm Have posted this before, but only decent thing Des has done in his tenure as BDO Chairman, was to relax the rules in regard to Lakeside players being able to play Q School without recourse. Without that ruling, Durrant would not have played PDC last year.

So Des Jacklin's biggest achievements was introducing a rule that lost the BDO their best male and female players diluting the quality of their tournaments?
It might seem counterintuitive, but this move actually helps grow the BDO. Yes it hurts right now to lose people like Durant and Ashton, but lets face it, Hearn isn't paying the PDC champ 23k. Even middling PDC players make a lot more, and well dart players have families to support (or at least dart supplies to buy and bar bills to pay off) and you can't really begrudge someone for wanting to make a decent bit of money if they are good enough.
This is not pro or anti one organization or the other. It is just common sense.

What allowing BDO players to go to Q school, and eventually thrive in a PDC environment, is that it shows the BDO as a proving ground that is capable of producing top level (and hence top earning ) players.

This will inspire the next Glen Durant or Lisa Ashton and the next and the next to come to the PDC through the BDO. (plus I dont think they are banned from also playing in BDO events so why not do both?)

Sadly this might all be meaningless as he seems to have made a mess of everything else and pride and ego seems to block him from any kind of constructive engagement. The guy might also want to be a little more professional and conciliatory with his communications strategy.
Sometimes you just need to know how to talk to people.
Des (and well largely Paula I suspect): if you read this, stop taking interweb comments so personally and remember that you attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

(as a quick side note, I think that this might be my first post. )
Good post and welcome.
RIPLionheart
Brass Darts

Post by RIPLionheart »

Ginge wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:53 pm Are yoy actually saying someone who is obviously putting some hours in (OK probably not the amount he claims) shouldnt pay himself £15k per year before tax?
In the case of a competent and professional leader I’d say it’s a pittance. In the case of the current glorious leader of the BDO I’d say it’s £14,999 too much
Serious point is Des claims to be massively successful businessman so why need to take £15k out of an organisation that can only pay its World Champion £23k?

All moot as he will keep the job until he decides he wants to leave as the Counties are absolutely spineless, toothless, clueless, apathetic and selfish.I posed the question on another thread “how bad does it need to get”. Insolvency, draining the counties, causing a diplomatic row with Gibraltar, losing Luxembourg and threatening to sue critics for liable and another social media charm offensive a pretty average week in the context of the Jacklin era.And still he reigns on.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

RIPLionheart wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:03 pm
Ginge wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:53 pm Are yoy actually saying someone who is obviously putting some hours in (OK probably not the amount he claims) shouldnt pay himself £15k per year before tax?
In the case of a competent and professional leader I’d say it’s a pittance. In the case of the current glorious leader of the BDO I’d say it’s £14,999 too much
Serious point is Des claims to be massively successful businessman so why need to take £15k out of an organisation that can only pay its World Champion £23k?

All moot as he will keep the job until he decides he wants to leave as the Counties are absolutely spineless, toothless, clueless, apathetic and selfish.I posed the question on another thread “how bad does it need to get”. Insolvency, draining the counties, causing a diplomatic row with Gibraltar, losing Luxembourg and threatening to sue critics for liable and another social media charm offensive a pretty average week in the context of the Jacklin era.And still he reigns on.
Des stumbles from one disaster to another. A little bit like the Rangers football team at the moment, just when you think it can't get any worse,another disaster is just round the corner. Will not get any better, and probably will take the extinction of the BDO to get rid of Jacklin.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
RIPLionheart
Brass Darts

Post by RIPLionheart »

ssjsa wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:38 pm
RIPLionheart wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:03 pm

Des stumbles from one disaster to another. A little bit like the Rangers football team at the moment, just when you think it can't get any worse,another disaster is just round the corner. Will not get any better, and probably will take the extinction of the BDO to get rid of Jacklin.
Quite. The true test of how pathetically delusional the BDO fraternity has become will be attendance at the "opens" the Jacklin Empire is run over the next few months (which I have been advised by my liable lawyers I must stress are completely separate and unrelated to the role Des has as BDO leader, and in no way create a conflict of interest).

Anyone attending is enabling this crazed regime. Lots of talk of potential boycotts before the O2 - I am hoping that a stand will be taken however am confident that loads will be paying for the privilege of paying the Jacklins to self aggrandise, win a few bob, get pissed and win ranking points for a World Championship that won't take place. Utter cretins.