Who is the best player in the world?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: Who is the best player in the world?

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:49 pm
Ginge wrote:XXXXVIII
That is not the correct way to express that particular number in Roman numerals.
I see. Perhaps you could bring it up in 6/7 years time.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

oche balboa wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:44 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:33 pm A few years ago the haters would not have put Glen in the top 10.
Skewy wouldnt today
Well you are both wrong as when he won his 2nd Lakeside and said he was 'BDO for Life' I said on here he was top 10 ( 5 -7 as I recall) but of course at the time thought we would never know. Well we will know now and I'm sticking to my prediction from over 2 years ago...
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Skewball wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:54 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:33 pm A few years ago the haters would not have put Glen in the top 10.
Skewy wouldnt today
Well you are both wrong as when he won his 2nd Lakeside and said he was 'BDO for Life' I said on here he was top 10 ( 5 -7 as I recall) but of course at the time thought we would never know. Well we will know now and I'm sticking to my prediction from over 2 years ago...
Well it was a few months after he won his 3rd Lakeside title but yes, you are spot on

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17566&p=681364#p681364

Oche can apologise when ready.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:56 pm
Skewy wouldnt today
Well it was a few months after he won his 3rd Lakeside title but yes, you are spot on

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17566&p=681364

ah yes, thankyou.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

At any time in darts, I've always felt there is an elite group (those currently regularly winning or challenging for big titles), then a select group under that (the odd title here and there, regular finalists or former elite players out of form), followed by a very large group.

Trying to separate within the groups is pointless as its fag paper stuff and form in darts is so fickle.

At the moment

Elite- MVG, Wright, Price
Select- Anderson, Cross, Aspinall, Durrant, Wade, Smith, Gurney, Warren, Ratajski, Williams plus a good handful or two more
Followed by a bucket load of players who can all hit ton plusses here and there, have flash in the pan runs, the odd final, the odd pro tour/open win but lack the consistency to do it regularly.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Rout wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:03 pm At any time in darts, I've always felt there is an elite group (those currently regularly winning or challenging for big titles), then a select group under that (the odd title here and there, regular finalists or former elite players out of form), followed by a very large group.

Trying to separate within the groups is pointless as its fag paper stuff and form in darts is so fickle.

At the moment

Select- Anderson, Cross, Aspinall, Durrant, Wade, Smith, Gurney, Warren, Ratajski, Williams plus a good handful or two more
Followed by a bucket load of players who can all hit ton plusses here and there, have flash in the pan runs, the odd final, the odd pro tour/open win but lack the consistency to do it regularly.
you were doing so well, I was in complete agreement.
Until you said Williams :DDD: :DDD:
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:
That is not the correct way to express that particular number in Roman numerals.
I see. Perhaps you could bring it up every week for 6/7 years.
Ok will do.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

I would imagine the current World Champion, has to be really or what is the importance of winning it?
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Ginge wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:51 pm
I see. Perhaps you could bring it up in 6/7 years time.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:20 am
DavidOwen67 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:06 am
ssjsa wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:36 pm Just for reference. When a post is deleted, it should be considered as a steer that the content is not acceptable, and when repeat posts are followed by an edit , for those that cannot take a steer, that the next such post will in all likelihood result in your posting privileges being revoked.
Don't make him cry.

For the record, the endless repetition of the Wazza180 account desperately trying to sound like Ian has me completely convinced that it is the Robson multiple behind a VPN.

Even Ian isn't that repetitive and obvious. Plus a VPN would be too baffling for him.

He's getting better but he also has certain tells still. We shall see.
Wrong again.

Anymore guesses?
That's me convinced.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:45 am
Black Velvet wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:41 am Just a “no, I’m scared” would’ve done.
That's what Whinge should have said about the incident with Andy Jenkins.
See? Too far. Putting classic Ianisms into every post is just trying too hard, Robson.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

phil davies wrote:
Rout wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:43 pm
Skewball wrote:It was a stupid statement 6 years ago so its worth has not diminished :grin: :grin: ;-)
I'll happily take the grief for the context of what I said 6 years ago. What I find amusing is when people (davidowen) refer to it for results he is getting today.

People said Wes Newton was one of the best handful of players in the world about 6 or so years ago. Averages in the 70s at superleague these days.
Newton was never close to the being in the best handful of players in the world. He had a short spell of good form nothing more or less and never even won a major tournament.
Played in back to back PLs, and given he has zero personality, that tells you that for a few years he was considered one of the best players around.

Either way, the point here is, if someone at the time posted that Newton was one of the best players in the world (which, at one time would not have been a ridiculous comment to make), they probably wouldn't expect it to be brought up when he averages seventy odd six years later.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Skewball wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:05 pm
Rout wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:03 pm At any time in darts, I've always felt there is an elite group (those currently regularly winning or challenging for big titles), then a select group under that (the odd title here and there, regular finalists or former elite players out of form), followed by a very large group.

At the moment

you were doing so well, I was in complete agreement.
Until you said Williams :DDD: :DDD:
He put Williams in to distract you from the fact he including Warren.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

It's an experiment to see who will be the first one to spend the next six years telling me I said Williams is the fourth best player in the world
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Skewy wouldnt today

Well he did seem to allude to the fact he can’t handle it in the PDC

So no
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

oche balboa wrote:
Skewy wouldnt today

Well he did seem to allude to the fact he can’t handle it in the PDC

So no
Er no, I said he seemed to pay a heavy emotional toll in his close wins on TV, so said it would be interesting to see how he handles it week in week out. A very fair observation at the time. And so far very well, so that's why he is now heading towards where I said he was capable of... 5-7.
Plenty of other places to look Oche for other predictions I've got wrong ;) this is not one of them.

Rout
International

Post by Rout »

phil davies wrote:
Rout wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:01 am
phil davies wrote:
Rout wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:43 pm
Skewball wrote:It was a stupid statement 6 years ago so its worth has not diminished :grin: :grin: ;-)
I'll happily take the grief for the context of what I said 6 years ago. What I find amusing is when people (davidowen) refer to it for results he is getting today.

People said Wes Newton was one of the best handful of players in the world about 6 or so years ago. Averages in the 70s at superleague these days.
Newton was never close to the being in the best handful of players in the world. He had a short spell of good form nothing more or less and never even won a major tournament.
Played in back to back PLs, and given he has zero personality, that tells you that for a few years he was considered one of the best players around.

Either way, the point here is, if someone at the time posted that Newton was one of the best players in the world (which, at one time would not have been a ridiculous comment to make), they probably wouldn't expect it to be brought up when he averages seventy odd six years later.
Best handful suggests top 5. Somebody who finished 9th both seasons in the PL (should never have been picked second year anyway that was a joke). He had a good 18 months in 2011/12. The two majors finals he made he only averaged in the 80’s in them and his route to the European one can only be described as a joke. So really one particularly good run to a final in major in the UK open where he beat Barney and Chizzy. Never won any majors. He was nowhere near being in the best handful of players at any time.To do that you really need to be winning majors or at least be like a Jenkins type who was making multiple finals in a year.
Was ranked top 5 in the pdc order of merit.

Call it top 10 if you like. Or even top 20. Not really important to my point.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
frank
Feather Flights

Post by frank »

Phil Taylor is not only the greatest darts player, he's also the greatest person to have ever lived
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:33 pm TV titles won by Price = 2

TV titles won by Aspinall = 1

TV titles won by Wright = 2

TV titles won by Glen = 3
¡Cuarenta y cinco!
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Black Velvet wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:31 pm
Wazza180 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:33 pm TV titles won by Price = 2

TV titles won by Aspinall = 1

TV titles won by Wright = 2

TV titles won by Glen = 3
¡Cuarenta y cinco!
I can understand Spanish BV. :grin:

Perhaps Ginge might try Latin next. ;-)

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner