Phil Taylor.......disrespectful without meaning to be??

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
littlelawrie
Brass Darts

Re: Phil Taylor.......disrespectful without meaning to be??

Post by littlelawrie »

slymaster, i agree with you, the world final was much closer than 7-2, taylor had to be virtually at his best, he pulled out huge 161, 167, 170, 122 finishes and a 131 to win it.
taylor's biggest rival will be whitlock soon (maybe next year), but whitlock is just learning the ropes this year, gaining experience on the big stage. its a shame about barney, he's so good when he has confidence in his game but he just doesn't have the mental side of the game now. his match against baxter, he opened 140, 180, 140 and then after missing the d16 for an 11 dart under no pressure from baxter he started shaking his head. wade showed a few weeks ago that he can match taylor, but he admits that he doesn't have the same desire for practice as taylor. and king is very consistent and probably the best in the world at taking out those 100-130 finishes. if anderson can overcome his nerves, he is up there too, he lost heavily with a 106 average to taylor last year!
i wonder how many players rue the day manley beat taylor in 2008, since then taylor slimmed his darts, focused and practiced more, and has been virtually unstoppable ever since, pushing his game to a standard that is almost unreachable for most players. nobody seems to have the same unrelenting dedication and winning mentality that taylor has.
darts used: sigma pro 950 18g
highest checkout: 170
best 501: 15 darts
Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

I feel that Taylor does try and be a gracious winner - but the way he's learn to do interviews, and the phrases he often uses; "good kid", "good little player" often do make him sound patronising. Even if he doesn't mean it, it comes across that way.

Although the only way stop that is for people to start beating him!
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

jointer wrote:i think people from stoke are like mancs,they call everyone kid
whether they be 20 or 60
iv'e heard adie lewis say it a few times at the events to players older than him

when i worked in Sheffield they called people duck :)
Erm I heard thats what was shouted when you were at the oche.
Chicken Chaser
Feather Flights

Post by Chicken Chaser »

Krispy wrote:I feel that Taylor does try and be a gracious winner - but the way he's learn to do interviews, and the phrases he often uses; "good kid", "good little player" often do make him sound patronising. Even if he doesn't mean it, it comes across that way.
It's a shame really, no matter what he says people will pounce on him. Imagine if he told it like it is and said a player wasn't good enough or that nobody in the PDC was as good as him... he has to be gracious and 'patronising' or people would complain far more. He can't win. ...well, he can but not in this sense.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Dont under estimate Mr Taylor at all folks...

He knows well what he is saying, and what buttons to press to get the reaction he wants from certain players..... There are very few players Mr Taylor shows respect for, i think Simon WHitlock is one such player he respects, possibly Merv King is another, BArney, John Part, maybe Gary Anderson, after that im struggling to find any more.

Pre match interviews are used as weapons, and he uses it well, he was taught by the best (Eric Bris) and thou people says he doesnt come across well in interviews, there is a reason for just about everything he says in the greater scale of things. Post match Mr Taylor is already thinking bout the next time they meet, and is getting in a few blows early... No doubting he is the best dart player ever, but, dont be fooled, he is also a cute fekker when it comes to war of words and mind games.
skudlooking
The Ton Club

Post by skudlooking »

whether they be 20 or 60
iv'e heard adie lewis say it a few times at the events to players older than him

you sure it was duck they were calling you jointer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TWITTER @skudlooking
markveg
Brass Darts

Post by markveg »

slymaster wrote:I am not from the Anderson clique (nicest possible way, of course) but I am just saying - dont underestimate Mr. Anderson.
I agree, think this will be a big year for Anderson, a few good runs in the majors and he'll be straight in the Top 10 pushing for a premier league place by right.

I understand the thing about Taylor but as said above I don't think he does it intentionally.
Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

Dicie wrote:Dont under estimate Mr Taylor at all folks...

Pre match interviews are used as weapons, and he uses it well, he was taught by the best (Eric Bris) and thou people says he doesnt come across well in interviews, there is a reason for just about everything he says in the greater scale of things. Post match Mr Taylor is already thinking bout the next time they meet, and is getting in a few blows early... No doubting he is the best dart player ever, but, dont be fooled, he is also a cute fekker when it comes to war of words and mind games.
100% agree.

Mr Taylor isn't just the best darts player we have, but also the most mentally tough and cute.

I find his interviews cringeworthy at times, but I now just put this down to the fact that his PR skills aren't as good as his darting skills.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

I would also give him some benefit of the doubt.

How many ways can he answer the same question time after time in the post match interview ?

If he doesn't say his opponent played well when they played their normal game against him he can't really go around saying he's too good for them, that would upset a lot more people than him saying they played well, stuck at it etc.
Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

The Cat wrote: he can't really go around saying he's too good for them, that would upset a lot more people than him saying they played well, stuck at it etc.
Wouldn't it be great if he did though.??

He would definately be one of my fave players then.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:
The Cat wrote: he can't really go around saying he's too good for them, that would upset a lot more people than him saying they played well, stuck at it etc.
Wouldn't it be great if he did though.??

He would definately be one of my fave players then.
I'd love that I really would - bless him :P
Gringo
Pub Champion

Post by Gringo »

Lee Taylor wrote:
slymaster wrote:I am not from the Anderson clique but I am just saying - dont underestimate Mr. Anderson.

Absolutely. And Wade coming back into form too. Could be an interesting Summer ahead!
Hopefully your correct Lee and that it will be an interesting summer of darts and as you say especially with the likes of Wade coming back into form, but you always feel Phil can step it up another couple of gears when he needs to.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Just in terms of 'kid' - is this not a regional thing? My mate from the midlands talks about people being a 'great kid' regardless of their age.
robot
Superleague Player

Post by robot »

I think in the past Taylor used to be pretty patronising - part of ther mind games thing, but also his choice of words makes it wasy to misconstrue them.

Lately though, I think he has mellowed a bit and his interviews come across better. He knows he can't stay at the top forever and he does seem to recognise that, often saying how lucky he is to be in the position he is.
2010 TSOD Grand Slam of Darts Prediction Competition - Overall Winner
Mark_G
Pub Champion

Post by Mark_G »

Taylor was definitely winding Manley up on purpose at the Players Championship Finals. After Peter left the interview, you could see Phil chuckling/smiling to himself. Their relationship did appear to have thawed in recent years, but I'm guessing whatever happened at the PDC Awards Dinner has doused the flames with petrol.

But I don't generally have a problem with Phil or what he does/says. I think people read too much into what Phil says because he's been such an overwhelmingly dominant force in the game. Some people (and I don't mean you, Jaws) will look for any fault in him rather than admit they dislike him because he wins everything.

And obviously he gives us more to digest than the others as he's interviewed more often than his rivals, and at greater length too.

The only thing I really didn't like was when he invited Andy Hamilton on stage to come and hold the trophy he'd won in the US (US Open?) a few years back. I almost had to cover my eyes, it was THAT cringeworthy.
Luke SkyChalker
Steady Sixties

Post by Luke SkyChalker »

"The only thing I really didn't like was when he invited Andy Hamilton on stage to come and hold the trophy he'd won in the US (US Open?) a few years back. I almost had to cover my eyes, it was THAT cringeworthy."

Just like Schumacher and Barrichello at Austria, when Barrichello let Schumacher overtake him to claim the win.
Then Schumacher tried to put Barrichello on top of the winners podium for the prize giving.
That was really patronising and embarassing to watch!

Nothing to do with darts but sportsmen get it really wrong sometimes.
A Legend in my own Spare Bedroom
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

whether they be 20 or 60

I worked up there for a cpl of weeks once, had to have the following week off sick with a bad neck.

ww
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

Welsh Wayne wrote:
whether they be 20 or 60

I worked up there for a cpl of weeks once, had to have the following week off sick with a bad neck.

ww
:D :lol:
Maverick
Superleague Player

Post by Maverick »

Yes it would make a refreshing change if he just came out and said , he was crap and couldn't beat me as long as he's got a hole in his Backside!!

However he would be tortured for doing so.

Phil is Gracious in victory , and in the few defeats he's had, which is just what a champion should be.
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Maverick wrote:Yes it would make a refreshing change if he just came out and said , he was crap and couldn't beat me as long as he's got a hole in his Backside!!

However he would be tortured for doing so.

Phil is Gracious in victory , and in the few defeats he's had, which is just what a champion should be.
Dont tell Fred Carter... :lol:

In general he is. Was really great to see after losing to Barney in the worlds.