Barney and his set up of darts

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
OllyNufc180
County Player

Barney and his set up of darts

Post by OllyNufc180 »

Hi all

Many who know me from SOD will know that i am a bit of a geek when it comes to player darts etc. and how observant i am.......

I have always believed that barney shoudl use these standard flights with his standard long and thin barrel, with standard nylon shafts.......it has always been so obvious to me why:

Firstly, when he uses the slim , pear or kite flights the dart goes in the board dead straight, however this limits his shots as for example if the 1st dart lies above the treble 20 he must switch.........barney is a player who in my eyes should stick to the T20 as while i am not saying he isnt able to adjust, he is a rythm player with a lovely smooth action, and these slim/pear/kite flights make it very awkward tio get any rythm, as he is contantly having to adjust or go for cover because of bad lies.........

Now......with the standard flights (as i have always said) there is no lie he cant take........they stick into the board at a perfect angle; not like taylors (meaning the stacker is the only option - no undertsack) and not like someone like fitton/andersons angle of entry (meaning the understacker is an option, however these players cant possibly with that lie).........barenys darts (when using standard flights ) go into the board at an angle right inbetwee, meaning he can stack and understack easily......this means he doesnt have to constantly adjust with every other dart, or go for cover, as this completely effects barneys rythm and his game with it........

Its not like i am just saying this based on his 9-darter on thusday, as this has became obvious oveer the last couple of years............here are his achievements when using standard flights (original set up)

- Winner x4 BDO world championship 1998, 1999, 2003, 2005
- Winner x2 BDO World Masters 2001, 2005
- Winner WDT 2003, 2004
- Winner IDT 2003, 2004, 2006
Note.....never got past world matchplay quarters......why....because he has uses ceramic darts, and slim flights twice...never his original style
- 9 darters - Premier league 2006....Premier League 2010
- Winner desset classic 2007
- SF of first premier league season, and a highly impressive tournament (9 DARTER , draw with taylor)
- Winner x2 UK OPEN
- 2009 World championship R/U........barneys most impressive tournament to date in last year or so.....so many 100+ averages + 9 darter

Theres no doubt that barneys glory days , high averages and succes came with using standard flights and his original set up

Every time barney uses standard flights , he seems to play well and really convince me.......he looks comfrotable, doesnt need to adjust every other dart or go for cover, because there is simply nearly always a lie for him to take......I am alsmot excited about the prospect of barney going back to his old style with the standard flights, as i have been saying for years that he is a far more comofrtable and able darts player with this set up........

Another thing.......phil taylor has uses slim flights for a while, and has recently been given these high tech phase 5 shafts and kite style flights to try and perfect his game........i believe this has been another distraction for barney......barney like most players will look at taylor as the man to learn from and to see what he is doing right.....barney has no doubt (for me) looked at taylors darts and asked unicorn if he can try out some of thes sigma shafts + sigam kite style flights (which he uses in 2010 matchplay) and i believe part of this is from barney looking at taylor and almost trying to copy his style of dart. We all must know this wont work..........Phil's throw is methodical and very deliberate as if he aims each individual dart.........barney on the other hand (when playing well) throws at a fairly brisk pace, with a smooth and rythmic action........this surely means that barney cant go copying phil because there throwing actions differ that much so dont justify them using the same dart/set up.......Barney has known taylor is getting away from him, and now long ago he was almost a beaten man before he had even threw 1 dart in games with taylor......and it this was his mental state then to go and copy phils style of darts when your struggling isnt a bad idea, as he was a little desperate and copying the best player of all times set up might be a starting point, as barney could think ' if phil can throw these darts and be the best around, then i might as well try them'. But barney must now face reality after that test, as to me he has proved that he must be his own player and do what he knows suits him best and have faith in his own set up.

Believe me, If barney sticks with this set up i fancy this 'disater' of a year so far, to be turned around sharpish, as theres no doubt in my mind who's the 2nd best in the world at times......but.....my worry always is ....will barney stick with them???

If he does then its a double bonus.....A, if he sticks with them he must like them and feel he's playing good darts......and B if he sticks with them he will inevitably be mentally stronger, as i'm pretty sure one of the reasons barney gets down is because he tries all of these darts out in practice and there great, however on the stage no so great, but if he can produce the goods with this set constantly then he will be far more confident and stronger

Thanks for reading......sorry if its a bit long winded and if you dont already know me then you'll become aware soon that i dont do anything in a few sentences , however i think (without trying to blow my own trumpet :lol: ) that I am spot on about this issue, and the return of the real Barney will come if he sticks with that set up :D :P
OllyNufc180
County Player

Re: Barney and his set up of darts

Post by OllyNufc180 »

are my long threads putting off people? :? :lol:
The_Power
Feather Flights

Post by The_Power »

May I say something - what a post. Everything you say is 100% spot on.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

Great post Olly.

I also agree that the standard flight/medium shaft set up is best for Barney too, BUT darts is a total mind game and if he doesn't feel comfortable with it then the performances just wont happen.

No harm in trying new darts/ set-up's (Taylor does it all the time!) but the fact Barney keeps reverting back to his original set-up (or near enough) then that should tell him something.

Sure when his head is back on it we will see the real Barney sometime soon. I really hope so anyway.
markveg
Brass Darts

Post by markveg »

Have to agree with Lee here, I do think that is his best setup, but if you don't feel comfortable then the performances will not be there.

Taylor always tinkering doesn't help, as others try and copy to keep up with him.
nofear180
Feather Flights

Post by nofear180 »

The_Power wrote:May I say something - what a post. Everything you say is 100% spot on.
COUGH fluff COUGH :?:
"They wont have to play outta their skin to beat Taylor, they'll have to play outta their essence!"
Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

markveg wrote: Taylor always tinkering doesn't help, as others try and copy to keep up with him.
I thnk Taylor always saying (when asked) that he practices countless hours a day also doesn't help fellow players, as they then think that you have to put endless amounts of hours in to get where he has. Which isn't true. (Taylor mind games again ;) )

Every player has there own methods of practice and set up of darts. Whatever feels comfortable for each individual will be what is best suited to them individually.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price