PDC pull the plug on Women's world championship

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: PDC pull the plug on Women's world championship

Post by Ginge »

WCDPA wrote:Bur surely ana would have something to say about that bradders!
She has to get the points first- everyone else has had a 3 month head start.
Big Jock Knew
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

WCDPA wrote:Bur surely ana would have something to say about that bradders!

So wud the Bird if she cud bring her floor form to the stage
sonny
Brass Darts

Post by sonny »

like they were ever going to stage it twice in ther first place :MAD:
I used to be a schizoprhrenic but we're fine now
Cassiel
Brass Darts

Post by Cassiel »

Tommy Thompson wrote:There was a lot of trepidation concerning Barry Hearns offer for the BDO, becasue it is quite obvious to all the BDO Counties that certain things they do will never make a profit, but it is part of the whole Darts Scene, I think the cancelation of the PDC Ladies event just about sums up what the Counties felt would happen, that the Ladies game would be the first casualty, the Inter-Counties as is presently run would also be a casualty blah blah blah
I really can't see the logic in extrapolating from one decision the PDC might have made - if indeed they have made it - and seeing it as justification for rejecting the PDC's offer last year out of hand. For a start, the counties never even agreed to take the discussions further and meet with Hearn to hear what he was planning, instead choosing to stick their fingers in their ears and shout 'Tra la la' at the top of their voice.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that setting up the Women's champs was in reaction to the counties intransigence, and probably wasn't thought through as much as it should have been (or introduced in the first place.) But seeing as you and some of your fellow county stalwarts refused to even listen to what PDC had to offer, you simply can't argue his intention all along would have been to ditch and destroy the women and county scene. For all you might have known, he might have suggested keeping the structure as is, run by many of the people who run it now, but with some added commercial nous and sponsorship. But you won't know Tommy because you chose not to take the talks to a stage where he could have outlined his plans, to, in my personal opinion, the detriment of darts fans and players and ultimately the BDO themselves.
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

well i don't know what all the fuss is about a financial disaster falls by the way side what else could be expected, the jocky cup was crap but i bet it made money and it was still binned.Ladies darts has been being propped up by the mens game since time began ,most of their comps do not have enough entrants to even cover prize money so the mens money is dipped into to cover for this . so in reality it is the men that get a raw deal in wdf/bdo darts paying higher entry fee's to help out the women, if you take the up comming scottish open as an example there are normally 7 times more men playing than women and do the men get 7 times more prize money answer.... NO . its time for the women to start their own tour there are some good players so they just need to grab the bull by the horns and get on with it , or is the reality that without the subsidys and sponsorship they even know themselves it would fail.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Well what a surprise!!
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

Uncle barry got rid cos nobody cares about womens darts except the women, their partners and a minor few fans.

Why waste money on another year with them, that could be better spent elsewhere.Uncle Barry will bin something if it dont work or is a failure, unlike olly who will flog it til the end
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Tommy Thompson wrote:There was a lot of trepidation concerning Barry Hearns offer for the BDO, becasue it is quite obvious to all the BDO Counties that certain things they do will never make a profit, but it is part of the whole Darts Scene, I think the cancelation of the PDC Ladies event just about sums up what the Counties felt would happen, that the Ladies game would be the first casualty, the Inter-Counties as is presently run would also be a casualty with the format being changed and certain so called Pro players being designated to certain Counties irrespective of the Counties agreement, IMO.

I know you can blame the girls for not taking up the offer form the PDC, but I firmly believe, that the idea of the event was a knee jerk reaction to the Counties not taking up Barry Hearns take over bid, and as such was not properly publicised or scheduled, several posts on this forum have mentioned over and over again that events which historically in the BDO were already on the dates decided upon by PDC. You can say what you like but lady dart players are not going to be getting in a car and go hundreds of miles to qualifiers when they are already at another event, and then travel back to the original event, and perhaps this lack of understanding contributed massively to the non-attendence. If you want to seriously make the event a success you should give it the best possible chance of achieving one.

I would also like to make the point that no ladies would have suffered any sanctions from the BDO, myself and a lot more County officials made our view known on that immediately.

Whilst saying all this I do understand that the PDC is a business which runs dart events, it is not a darts organisation, and as such will make a business decision on where it wants to maximise its profits. So why in the first place take on board ladies darts, it will never make commercial sense, and you do not have to be Einstein to realise this. Which leads me back to mine and others concerns from November 09.
No offence but it sounds like you are using this (hindsight is a wonderful thing) to defend the counties not talking to BH. I know you felt that BH should have been more forthcoming and engaging but 'you' had to meet him half way and I don't think the counties did that (well, apart from the 8 who were actually prepared to listen)
and the Iron Fist
Superleague Player

Post by and the Iron Fist »

spaceman70 wrote:Also if the PDC didn't try this, the ladies would still be playing for £6,000 for the winner of the BDO world championship.

Do you think it is coincidence that in the same year the prize was upped to £10,000?

If it could be achieved with the knee jerk reaction that it was made with why have the ladies been playing for the same prize money for so long?

:DDDD:

And in return for that extra prize money the ladies champion was obliged to make a statement thanking Bob Potter for the extra prize money like a child saying thank you for being given sweets! Patriarchy rules at the BDO!

The PDC have offered the ladies the chance to compete as equals with the men in the PDC but none of them fancy it. Too scared to try and change things. Germaine Greer has written some interesting books on this subject.
"It seems he thinks he is entitled to say what he likes" - 'Gadffi' Dicie on and the Iron Fist.
and the Iron Fist
Superleague Player

Post by and the Iron Fist »

Tommy Thompson wrote:There was a lot of trepidation concerning Barry Hearns offer for the BDO, becasue it is quite obvious to all the BDO Counties that certain things they do will never make a profit, but it is part of the whole Darts Scene, I think the cancelation of the PDC Ladies event just about sums up what the Counties felt would happen, that the Ladies game would be the first casualty, the Inter-Counties as is presently run would also be a casualty with the format being changed and certain so called Pro players being designated to certain Counties irrespective of the Counties agreement, IMO.

I know you can blame the girls for not taking up the offer form the PDC, but I firmly believe, that the idea of the event was a knee jerk reaction to the Counties not taking up Barry Hearns take over bid, and as such was not properly publicised or scheduled, several posts on this forum have mentioned over and over again that events which historically in the BDO were already on the dates decided upon by PDC. You can say what you like but lady dart players are not going to be getting in a car and go hundreds of miles to qualifiers when they are already at another event, and then travel back to the original event, and perhaps this lack of understanding contributed massively to the non-attendence. If you want to seriously make the event a success you should give it the best possible chance of achieving one.

I would also like to make the point that no ladies would have suffered any sanctions from the BDO, myself and a lot more County officials made our view known on that immediately.

Whilst saying all this I do understand that the PDC is a business which runs dart events, it is not a darts organisation, and as such will make a business decision on where it wants to maximise its profits. So why in the first place take on board ladies darts, it will never make commercial sense, and you do not have to be Einstein to realise this. Which leads me back to mine and others concerns from November 09.

Why does no-one ask the powers that be at the BDO where that extra prize money that was so readily and easilly found was before the PDC event and why it could not have been added to the ladies prize fund before? It was obviously there but the BDO seemingly didn't care to give it to them. That wouldn't be be Bob Potter and Olly Croft thinking about their profit margins would it? Jsut because the BDO are lousy at making a profit doesn't mean that they aren't trying to.

If you really think that no-one involved in the BDO is involved to try and turn a profit then you are either a mug or (more likely) turning a blind eye.
"It seems he thinks he is entitled to say what he likes" - 'Gadffi' Dicie on and the Iron Fist.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Bradders wrote:At least there is some good news - it has managed to squeeze an extra £4k a year out of Potter :D

bobs no spring chicken and he can only fund them so much....at the moment they depend on bob too much and were anything to happen to him the bdo could be in even more dire straits
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Bob's company made a £1m loss last year !!

Although he has some serious property assets!!!
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

how long can he keep funding them.......the bdo are over reliant on the bbc and bob potter.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Skewball wrote:Bob's company made a £1m loss last year !!

Have you seen the balance sheet Greg? ;)
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

spaceman70 wrote:

only briefly!
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

olly is in need of a cash injection

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C158826
keendartfan
Brass Darts

Post by keendartfan »

Skewball wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

only briefly!
Have a look at your convinience:

Bob Potter Leisure Ltd
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Just had confirmation from ladies 7,8 and 9 they were lied too! Nikki your letter of support awaits mate!
Ginge
International

PDC pull the plug on Women's world championship

Post by Ginge »

Dunno what a letter will do.
Big Jock Knew
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Prove that someone was a lying cunt bradders!