PDC pull the plug on Women's world championship

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
jchatt30
Feather Flights

PDC pull the plug on Women's world championship

Post by jchatt30 »

According to Stacy Bromberg on Facebook, the PDC have pulled the plug on the women's world championships. They said that it was due to lack of participation/interest from the BDO female players. Personally, I think it may have more to do with Anastasia announcing her return to the BDO.

I am not surprised by this announcement, although I feel sorry for all the ladies that did participate last year. As well as losing a relatively decent prize pool, they have lost the opportunity to play on the big stages in front of large audiences, live on TV - at least with the PDC.

Comments?

JimC
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Re: PDC pull the plug on Women's world championship

Post by Justin Credible »

not surprised to be honest, at least the 2 finalists made a few bob in the process.
Ana moving back did not help but still think it might have been shelved anyway
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Justin Credible wrote:not surprised to be honest, at least the 2 finalists made a few bob in the process.
PDC have experimented with several things.

The World Cup was a success and I think the World U21 Champs was and the Youth Tour will be.

The Jockey Cup and the womens Worlds just didn't work.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

I know where Stacy got it from too - a comment made by Rod Harrington in a 'thread' where he was discussing the Youth tour.

Someone asked about the Ladies tour/WC and he pretty much said what Stacy then quoted in her own facebook (she commented in this thread first)

I think Rod n co must be disappointed, but if they can't get the support, then I guess they have decided not to try :( It's why I hope that loads of lads n lasses give the youth tour a go.
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Adrian1969 wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:not surprised to be honest, at least the 2 finalists made a few bob in the process.

The World Cup was a success and I think the World U21 Champs was and the Youth Tour will be.

as you say they are trying things....more than can be said of the bdo.

Agree with you on the JW Cup...that was awful
Tristan
Superleague Player

Post by Tristan »

Adrian1969 wrote:

PDC cares for profit only, no exceptions. There's no money in the woman's game, bar Anastasia.

I think the Player's Championship in its current format is going to be axed for sure and I'm not too sure the world cup will return.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Tristan wrote:
Adrian1969 wrote:

PDC cares for profit only, no exceptions. There's no money in the woman's game, bar Anastasia.

I think the Player's Championship in its current format is going to be axed for sure and I'm not too sure the world cup will return.
bit of a pessimist ?
the world cup will return, although it might a be every 2 years.No way they will lose the floor championships
crazydarter
Pub Champion

Post by crazydarter »

yip rod said it was because there was not much support from the woman who play in bdo....
no point in moaning about it cause they all had a fantasic comp. with great money on offer and they could'nt be arsed to take part... shocking !!! :shock:
i for 1 am bloody angry... :evil:
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Tristan wrote:
Adrian1969 wrote:

Like most business's out there. The PDC is run like a business, and the players in it are looked after, like playing in half decent conditions, (apart from the cold rooms)
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Tristan wrote:
Adrian1969 wrote:

And so they should, it's a business.

The players get looked after and know there is plenty to play for every ProTour weekend.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

The Ton Club

Post by Offline »

crazydarter wrote:yip rod said it was because there was not much support from the woman who play in bdo....
no point in moaning about it cause they all had a fantasic comp. with great money on offer and they could'nt be arsed to take part... shocking !!! :shock:
i for 1 am bloody angry... :evil:

Your post from June last year " how wrong you are !!!!

I spoke to Rod Harrington & Tommy Cox and both said this was not a 1 off comp.
well done to the pdc for taking the Ladies on board !!!! "

There is no way that the non participation of players was anything to do with this decision if that was the case then they would have cancelled it after it was played last year, and they knew what the participation was when they evidently gave you that statement. This is all to do with Anastasia going back to the BDO and nothing more. Your anger should be directed at the PDC if anything the players that didn't take part have been proved right that it wasn't worth the risk of upsetting sponsors etc for a 1 off event
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Womens Darts the stumbling block of Pro darts.

Well supported at County / Super League but paid lip service when it gets to the top end by both codes.

Hard to justify its inclusion on TV when there is such a marked differance with the mens game.

Anna was an exception talent with looks, which was the package the PDC liked, looking at her going back to BDO must make you think she had the nod that the Ladies PDC champs was on the way out.

In the first golden years the same was tried to include Ladies darts with Maureen Flowers taking part in Pro events, sadly didnt work out then and 30 years later its not working now.

For all the BDO say about promoting the complete game, they have been the worst culprits as to the Ladies game, poor prize money and poor promotion but coupled with an history of being involved in ladies darts for donkey's years they have treated the ladies game poorly.
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
crispy1978
County Player

Post by crispy1978 »

Just on the women's comp - depends what the BDO have "done" to the women - threats of suspensions, etc like they did apparently with the gents at Q-school, might make the ladies think twice.

But I think Anastasia moving over might just have been the final straw.
The Ton Club

Post by Offline »

crispy1978 wrote:Just on the women's comp - depends what the BDO have "done" to the women - threats of suspensions, etc like they did apparently with the gents at Q-school, might make the ladies think twice.

The women have already stated that there was no threats of any kind from the BDO
crispy1978
County Player

Post by crispy1978 »

Offline wrote:
crispy1978 wrote:Just on the women's comp - depends what the BDO have "done" to the women - threats of suspensions, etc like they did apparently with the gents at Q-school, might make the ladies think twice.

The women have already stated that there was no threats of any kind from the BDO
Fair enough, I didn't know that. Was that for last year or this year too? - for example, were the women players allowed to enter Q-school if they wanted without penalty?
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

I think the PDC wanted a ladies'' world championship but the way it was conducted was -apart from the good money for the finalists- under par.

And the BDO having a ladies world champion who only has to win 3 games if I'm correct, isn't any better, really.

Maybe mixed pairs as part of TV tourney's could do the trick, but then the PDC will have to organize something for BDO ladies and I'm pretty sure if they're already sceptical about the GSoD prizemoney being experienced as sponsorship for top BDO players they won't be too keen on making that happen.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

All the ladies were told at Barnsley for the last 32, contrary to rumours this was not a one off event and thanking them for playing etc.
Have seen it stated a fair few times in this thread that the pdc is a business and has to make a profit.
Proves the counties right for turning BH down ! You can't make profits out of grass roots darts.
It's well documented why lots of ladies didn't play the main one being was Barry in it for the long term.
Be interesting to know how many youth actually played in youth events in ratio to the ladies.
Bear in mind a county side has 12 men and 6 ladies, a youth county can be 14 boys to 3 girls .
It's been cancelled because Ana has left , I will find out from Tricia and Stacey when they were aware this was going to be cancelled.
Tricias sponsor was chatting to me' Saturday at Kent open and was looking forward to the tour and trying to win ladies wc
in the gravy
Superleague Player

Post by in the gravy »

Womens darts is 2 bob. Waste of time, resources and money, the punters don't care for it.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

i dont see why the PDC should support womens darts...the ATP in tennis don't support women's tennis..it is down to the WTA to promote it and get the sponsors..same in golf..same in virtually every sport...if the market is there for womens darts then fine...but it isn't...the public are not interested...from the efforts of the PDC last year it seems like the women themselves are not interested..the PDC final was a disaster...the quality at Lakeside was awful...it is supply and demand...there is no demand for women's darts whether people like it or not...they only survive on the back of the men's game and people find it politcally incorrect to criticise it and say otherwise....
If there is a future then go out and create something off their own back and bring in sponsors and bring in TV..it wont happen because TV and and sponsors and viewers are not interested...at leat the PDC tried and it failed...but it gave the women one decent stab at decent money which is better than what they have been offered for years...better to have tried and failed than never to have tried
If the PDC is going to spend money then i would sooner see it spent on the youths than womens darts...at least that is the future and something that is relevant to fans down the line
this is all harsh but true in my opinion..people wont like it but it is the truth
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Perhaps sonofsam as a member of this forum could inform us of this.
Tommy Cox did tell the ladies it would happen again, as stated this was after tommy knew how many entered etc.
What changed pdc's mind Tommy? Sonofsam ? Anyone?