Darts is a funny old/frustrating game!!

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
OllyNufc180
County Player

Darts is a funny old/frustrating game!!

Post by OllyNufc180 »

Hi everyone

As some people may know i am in my first season of pub darts and last night was the last game of the league season against our rival home team (A VS B)

we have 6 players a side and start with team games, going to 3 games of pairs and 6 singles matches

I have found it hard to get in a rythm for the team games with one every 12 throws but last night i settled in very well being the first man on the list ( throwing for bull also) and starting well with a 140 in my first few throws and finding the treble well.

I was confident then after playing well to see our team win the team game and in the pairs i started with 140, 123 and 125 , hitting the double also to win my pairs match.............i then had time to wait where after 2 more pairs games i was first man to play in the singles

The guy i was playing isnt the most popular within our team and i felt focused yet very confident of bringing the same good game to that match and winning............i won bull and felt good but i didnt start well at all with opening scores of 41, 45 , 45............i felt fine and relaxed but somehow they werent going in right.......i was far off but i quicly started to realise i was getitng behind in the leg with my opponent hitting 134 and 138 on the trott...........i did hit a good ton to leave an outside shot on 104 but i'd not been at it and he hit his double to beat me........................

over in a flash and i felt numb to how i played so poorly after feeling so good, but i was and still am very frustrated...........i was so sure of my game at the time and i think my head wasnt right and i didnt go into the game with the mindset of keeping focused and making sure i keep my standard up (despite knowing my opponent was no great shakes)

I have done well this season winning 15 losing 3 but i have learned valuable lessons in all 3 defeats

1......expect your opponent to play well....aim for tons and ton 40's as even though 60's are good enough to beat some pub players there will be some good ones who can catch you out

2......take your chances........i played one of the best players in the league in one of my first few games and my good scoring gave me 9 darts to win it but they jst didnt go in.......i needed to step back , relax , take a deep breath and nail it ......so in that ive learned scoring is 50% of the job done, the important task then is to finish off what your scoring gave you ....the double

3.......no matter who i play its good to go in with the mindset that i have to play as well as i can and be at it.........cant let my mind think 'ive got this' or 'i'll be too good' as last night proved if you dont start well and the opponent has you on the ropes you sometimes cant find a reply

i hope people can see what im getting at and this isnt just me wanting people to hear my story its something i rekon a lot of people do and hopefully learn from