ATTENTION GUESTS/NON MEMBERS

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Booji Boy
International

ATTENTION GUESTS/NON MEMBERS

Post by Booji Boy »

Today is the last day that you will be able to read our topics, so if you want to keep up to date with whats happening in the world of darts whilst also talking to like-minded people, then sign on up, you wont regret it. :D
The Crusader
International

Re: ATTENTION GUESTS/NON MEMBERS

Post by The Crusader »

Good decision, sign up guests, most of us dont bite :D
Thinking of one.
God
Brass Darts

Post by God »

I hated that on the last forum, I'm more of a looker than a poster. You should make sure you have the automatic logins and cookie settings right before doing this. As its a new website your google search engine rankings will take a nose dive which will in effect will mean less people coming to the site.

Is this some form of elitist website now, ordinary people aren't allowed look. Are you introducing a pay subscribers club next?
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

God wrote:I hated that on the last forum, I'm more of a looker than a poster. You should make sure you have the automatic logins and cookie settings right before doing this. As its a new website your google search engine rankings will take a nose dive which will in effect will mean less people coming to the site.

Is this some form of elitist website now, ordinary people aren't allowed look. Are you introducing a pay subscribers club next?
In answer to the frst part of your post, the cookie and login settings are as they should be.

Now to answer the second part. We are definately not an elitist forum, It costs nothing to register.

Lord have mercy on my soul. God, indeed!!
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

God wrote:I hated that on the last forum, I'm more of a looker than a poster. You should make sure you have the automatic logins and cookie settings right before doing this. As its a new website your google search engine rankings will take a nose dive which will in effect will mean less people coming to the site.

I must admit I do find your post a little strange, firstly you have already registered so it will not effect you at all.

We are not trying to make the site elitist but do feel that anyone who wants to read or participate in the forum register. Registration is completely free and all you need is a valid email address to activate your account, I don't think this is too much to ask is it? Mind you nor do you either because you have already registered so I fail to see the point you are trying to make. As for charging for membership - no chance, its free and will remain so.

On a side note to anyone thinking of registering I can assure you that your email address will not be divulged to any third party. If you do not wish to post then don't, feel free to read all the topics and get involved only if and when you want to.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

God wrote:As its a new website your google search engine rankings will take a nose dive which will in effect will mean less people coming to the site.
This is a good point but I know the previous site let Google and other search/indexing bots through to the content (the forum can identify the search spiders and let them see the pages, while keeping all else out if not signed in). So as long as its set-up to do that, it won't hurt the search engine results at all.

I think once you've built up enough of a community, and a reputation, it makes sense to ask people to register and sign in to be part of it - just to know who your regulars are.
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
chissy
County Player

Post by chissy »

i have always felt it to be more of a community if viewers and posters alike were signed up with usernames to identify themselves before being allowed to view topics(note we do not insist on you using your real names as others do, although i actually think there is a real merit in that, just my opinion). we are definitely not elitist but there is a large amount of "priveleged" information displayed from all ends of the world of darts and i feel we, as a site, have a lot to offer those who wish to follow our sport and don't think its too much to ask for people to register before becoming involved. Also membership numbers assist in attracting potential site sponsors so hopefully plenty more people that have just browsed up until now can be persuaded to join.
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

Using real names is ok and was introduced on another forum I use due to idiots causing crap and hiding away. I feel that names should be used to identify people but dont mind i.e. Spud = Tony Martin, Kong = Robbie Green, Dazzler = Darryl Fitton etc etc etc. I know people could sign up using them anyway but I feel they would soon be found out, no need for real names unless idiots spoil it which hopefully will never happen.
As for signing up I agree that they should be made to if they want to read the forum, it takes about 2 mins and all you need is an email addy and even me mum and dad av one of them now :o
Thinking of one.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

You'll always get idiots on a forum. I don't think enforcing registration will stop that as most idiots like to register.
I don't think it should be mandatory to register. As previously mentioned some people don't like to post just keep up to date with
what's going on.
What is the harm in the guests?
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

polarbear70 wrote:You'll always get idiots on a forum. I don't think enforcing registration will stop that as most idiots like to register.
I don't think it should be mandatory to register. As previously mentioned some people don't like to post just keep up to date with
what's going on.
What is the harm in the guests?
You are not obliged to post if you register, theres no harm in guests, just as there is no harm in them registering. We have made a choice and we think it is the right one for this forum. Time will tell if we were right or wrong.
Sat Nav
The Ton Club

Post by Sat Nav »

It is not difficult to register. If a person is interested enough to find the site then surely he/she should only be willing enough to register and join in.
Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

Just checking - you are going to leave a forum with an 'about us' section up to the public so they can read that? Ignore me - I know you'll have it all in hand :)
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Krispy wrote:Just checking - you are going to leave a forum with an 'about us' section up to the public so they can read that? Ignore me - I know you'll have it all in hand :)
Yes with registration info and the like
Dave33
Pub Champion

Post by Dave33 »

Very strange posted from one who is already registred?

Takes no time at all to rgeister , good decision guys
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Will you be able to read the topic titles?

Or will be it a BDO Forums level of forum secrecy? :IIII: :IIII:
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Bradders wrote:Will you be able to read the topic titles?

Only for you :D

Only a couple of general information sections will remain visible to everyone, the rest will be fully available once you have registered and confirmed your email address. I will stress again that we ask for no more details than a username of your choice and a valid email address with which to activate your membership, and its all for free :D :D
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:

Only a couple of general information sections will remain visible to everyone, the rest will be fully available once you have registered and confirmed your email address. I will stress again that we ask for no more details than a username of your choice and a valid email address with which to activate your membership, and its all for free :D :D
So it will be a BDO Forums style barring of visitors then?
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Bradders wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

What point are you trying to make Bradders?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

mod500 wrote: What point are you trying to make Bradders?
That just seems to me like the actions of a paranoid forum. I dont know any other forum except BDO Forums that operates like that.

Are you not able to go for the middle ground - i.e. the way SoD used to be when you didnt log on?

Jesus, never though I would hear myself saying that!!
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Bradders wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

You are getting confused again Bradders, registered users will have full access to the site, visitors will have to register or all they will see is a few information pages. As you well know this is fairly common amongst forums and is a policy which you obviously have no problem with otherwise you would not have registered here, the BDO or df forums in order to see the full content.