Wigan!

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Grubby
Superleague Player

Wigan!

Post by Grubby »

Well gutted gutted gutted. Played the best that I've thrown in months. Started fri afternoon, driving to Mark Dudbridges and travelled to the Brocket Arms with his wife Gina driving. It took 4 hours but at half 6 we are parked at the bar sampling Kronenborg :CDDD: Had my usual mixed grill and went to throw some darts after the girls retired back to their rooms, Mark had gone to a sportsmans dinner. The Brocket now has a dart board up and whilst having a nice quiet throw a "gang" of women on the prowl started asking all sorts of questions and asking to borrow my darts to throw with. At one point I was worried for my safety. Bed around midnight. Up really sharp and got to the venue just after 9, practise went OK but not special. The draw went up and I had Mart Bevan, someone I knew nothing about. Played solid if not spectacular but my finishing was sharp. Only a couple of legs under 15 but a 6/4 win none the less. To finish the match I hit a great 132 (60,18,54) and double 16 first dart when it looked like I might be going all the way to 5 all yet again. Next came Mark Walsh, I've had some great battles with him and this was another. We both hit loads of 180's, 4 each in the first 6 or 7 legs! At 5/2 down I played my best darts for a while, checking 104 to hold.13 darter to break and 123 out (57,48,D9) to level. Walshie hit 100,100,100,139 and 62 in 2. I'd gone 81,85,100,100.The game must have been a pleasure to mark, thanks mate!!! Greg, Marks manager, said that it was a great game to watch and that I was unlucky that he found a great last leg. Confidence boosted and with an ok draw I was confident of getting the win I needed to make Bolton. Back to the brocket around 5 and after a snooze had a meal, yes another mixed grill, and bed after lock stock that was on TV! Up sharp again sunday and felt great, practise good, looking forward to playing and making Bolton. The draw was done and I had the winner of Steve Farmer/Lee Williams, not the best draw but it was in my hands not having to rely on anyone else. Chalked their game with Steve winning easily , barely missing a double. Game time and after losing the bull I started 174 (60,57,57) first 3 darts! at 1 all I hit a lovely 11 dart leg (180,134,140, 7 tops) and held my own throw comfotably to lead 3/1. He then played a good leg, 13/14 darts, and then broke me with his first 11 dart leg to level. We both held our throws for him to lead 5/4 and then heartbreak, I went 85,100,134,140 only for him to go 140,180,140 and check the 41 in 2 darts for his 2nd 11 darter, the 3rd of the game. Still feeling sick now but only have myself to blame for not taking 3 darts at tops to beat Robbie Newland and loads of darts to beat Ron Atwill after being 4 nil and 5.3 up. Its just such a shame that I've found my form too late for Bolton BUT I'm going to give it everything in Austria, Barnsley, Holland and Vegas and see where I am in the rankings and how I'm feeling about my game before deciding what happens next. Really enjoyed the UK Open last year and am gutted, dissappointed, frustrated, pissed off that I'm not going this year BUT I only have myself to blame. It has made me more determined to work even harder and see how far I can go.
I WILL BE BACK, I'm at my most dangerous when I have to fight like a cornered tiger!
follow me on twitter @grubby1968!!!
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Re: Wigan!

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Grubby wrote:Well gutted gutted gutted. Played the best that I've thrown in months. Started fri afternoon, driving to Mark Dudbridges and travelled to the Brocket Arms with his wife Gina driving. It took 4 hours but at half 6 we are parked at the bar sampling Kronenborg :CDDD: Had my usual mixed grill and went to throw some darts after the girls retired back to their rooms, Mark had gone to a sportsmans dinner. The Brocket now has a dart board up and whilst having a nice quiet throw a "gang" of women on the prowl started asking all sorts of questions and asking to borrow my darts to throw with. At one point I was worried for my safety. Bed around midnight. Up really sharp and got to the venue just after 9, practise went OK but not special. The draw went up and I had Mart Bevan, someone I knew nothing about. Played solid if not spectacular but my finishing was sharp. Only a couple of legs under 15 but a 6/4 win none the less. To finish the match I hit a great 132 (60,18,54) and double 16 first dart when it looked like I might be going all the way to 5 all yet again. Next came Mark Walsh, I've had some great battles with him and this was another. We both hit loads of 180's, 4 each in the first 6 or 7 legs! At 5/2 down I played my best darts for a while, checking 104 to hold.13 darter to break and 123 out (57,48,D9) to level. Walshie hit 100,100,100,139 and 62 in 2. I'd gone 81,85,100,100.The game must have been a pleasure to mark, thanks mate!!! Greg, Marks manager, said that it was a great game to watch and that I was unlucky that he found a great last leg. Confidence boosted and with an ok draw I was confident of getting the win I needed to make Bolton. Back to the brocket around 5 and after a snooze had a meal, yes another mixed grill, and bed after lock stock that was on TV! Up sharp again sunday and felt great, practise good, looking forward to playing and making Bolton. The draw was done and I had the winner of Steve Farmer/Lee Williams, not the best draw but it was in my hands not having to rely on anyone else. Chalked their game with Steve winning easily , barely missing a double. Game time and after losing the bull I started 174 (60,57,57) first 3 darts! at 1 all I hit a lovely 11 dart leg (180,134,140, 7 tops) and held my own throw comfotably to lead 3/1. He then played a good leg, 13/14 darts, and then broke me with his first 11 dart leg to level. We both held our throws for him to lead 5/4 and then heartbreak, I went 85,100,134,140 only for him to go 140,180,140 and check the 41 in 2 darts for his 2nd 11 darter, the 3rd of the game. Still feeling sick now but only have myself to blame for not taking 3 darts at tops to beat Robbie Newland and loads of darts to beat Ron Atwill after being 4 nil and 5.3 up. Its just such a shame that I've found my form too late for Bolton BUT I'm going to give it everything in Austria, Barnsley, Holland and Vegas and see where I am in the rankings and how I'm feeling about my game before deciding what happens next. Really enjoyed the UK Open last year and am gutted, dissappointed, frustrated, pissed off that I'm not going this year BUT I only have myself to blame. It has made me more determined to work even harder and see how far I can go.
I WILL BE BACK, I'm at my most dangerous when I have to fight like a cornered tiger!
I think all the people who agreed to sponsor you Steve had an idea of your honesty and talent.

And we havn't been disapointed in your efforts, just a bit of bad luck in one of the most competative regimes in sport.

Spaceman explained to me once that there is no gimme game in the PDC because of the obvious talent within the PDC.

You've done us proud boyo.

WW
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
chissy
County Player

Post by chissy »

Grubby wrote:Well gutted gutted gutted. Played the best that I've thrown in months. Started fri afternoon, driving to Mark Dudbridges and travelled to the Brocket Arms with his wife Gina driving. It took 4 hours but at half 6 we are parked at the bar sampling Kronenborg :CDDD: Had my usual mixed grill and went to throw some darts after the girls retired back to their rooms, Mark had gone to a sportsmans dinner. The Brocket now has a dart board up and whilst having a nice quiet throw a "gang" of women on the prowl started asking all sorts of questions and asking to borrow my darts to throw with. At one point I was worried for my safety. Bed around midnight. Up really sharp and got to the venue just after 9, practise went OK but not special. The draw went up and I had Mart Bevan, someone I knew nothing about. Played solid if not spectacular but my finishing was sharp. Only a couple of legs under 15 but a 6/4 win none the less. To finish the match I hit a great 132 (60,18,54) and double 16 first dart when it looked like I might be going all the way to 5 all yet again. Next came Mark Walsh, I've had some great battles with him and this was another. We both hit loads of 180's, 4 each in the first 6 or 7 legs! At 5/2 down I played my best darts for a while, checking 104 to hold.13 darter to break and 123 out (57,48,D9) to level. Walshie hit 100,100,100,139 and 62 in 2. I'd gone 81,85,100,100.The game must have been a pleasure to mark, thanks mate!!! Greg, Marks manager, said that it was a great game to watch and that I was unlucky that he found a great last leg. Confidence boosted and with an ok draw I was confident of getting the win I needed to make Bolton. Back to the brocket around 5 and after a snooze had a meal, yes another mixed grill, and bed after lock stock that was on TV! Up sharp again sunday and felt great, practise good, looking forward to playing and making Bolton. The draw was done and I had the winner of Steve Farmer/Lee Williams, not the best draw but it was in my hands not having to rely on anyone else. Chalked their game with Steve winning easily , barely missing a double. Game time and after losing the bull I started 174 (60,57,57) first 3 darts! at 1 all I hit a lovely 11 dart leg (180,134,140, 7 tops) and held my own throw comfotably to lead 3/1. He then played a good leg, 13/14 darts, and then broke me with his first 11 dart leg to level. We both held our throws for him to lead 5/4 and then heartbreak, I went 85,100,134,140 only for him to go 140,180,140 and check the 41 in 2 darts for his 2nd 11 darter, the 3rd of the game. Still feeling sick now but only have myself to blame for not taking 3 darts at tops to beat Robbie Newland and loads of darts to beat Ron Atwill after being 4 nil and 5.3 up. Its just such a shame that I've found my form too late for Bolton BUT I'm going to give it everything in Austria, Barnsley, Holland and Vegas and see where I am in the rankings and how I'm feeling about my game before deciding what happens next. Really enjoyed the UK Open last year and am gutted, dissappointed, frustrated, pissed off that I'm not going this year BUT I only have myself to blame. It has made me more determined to work even harder and see how far I can go.
Unlucky mate and i know you definitely will be back but..........define "i was worried for my safety" :DDD: :DDD:
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

chissy wrote:
Unlucky mate and i know you definitely will be back but..........define "i was worried for my safety" :DDD: :DDD:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WW
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
Pruttel
Brass Darts

Post by Pruttel »

Thanks for the report, Steve. Seeing the 9,10,11 darters etc thrown around must be a really hard life on the tour now. So much talent at the moment.
Grubby
Superleague Player

Post by Grubby »

chissy wrote:
EXACTLY what you think I meant! 8 vs 1 aren't good odds. Have you seen the women in Wigan?
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Grubby wrote:
chissy wrote:
EXACTLY what you think I meant! 8 vs 1 aren't good odds. Have you seen the women in Wigan?

I,m sure Jointer will verify that :D :D

Did you see him Steve ??

ww
Grubby
Superleague Player

Post by Grubby »

Yes Wayne but only had a very quick chat as I just lost. not the best company after losing I'm afraid!
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Grubby wrote:Yes Wayne but only had a very quick chat as I just lost. not the best company after losing I'm afraid!
Your no differant to anybody else mate. Bad losers make great winners. :D

wayne
JeroenvdV
Superleague Player

Post by JeroenvdV »

Thanks for the report Steve.. :D
Unlucky that you didn't made the UK open this year... :(

All the best for you and good luck this weekend in Salzburg.. :CDDD:
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Keep the faith big man, missing bolton is only a blip on the bigger scale of things.... You (from what iv read) went thru a bad patch at the wrong time, missing a few doubles.... Onward to austria....
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Honest as always Mr Grubb.

You know better than anyone that if you'd hit a few doubles, you had chances to seal a Bolton spot before this weekend.

I know for a fact you've played some good stuff in the last few months - still remember your game against Stompe in Swindon - so keep going fella.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Dave33
Pub Champion

Post by Dave33 »

Unlucky Grubby , keep it going mate
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”
Grubby
Superleague Player

Post by Grubby »

Forgot to add a few things, on Sat I checked 134 , T17,T17 D16 vs Martyn! and against Walshie I think we hit 7 maxs in first 5 legs , (4/3) to him and 11 overall (6/5) to Mark.
Spaceman has a nice new key ring :DDDD:
Looking at the Qualifiers for Bolton there are some good players not going :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :angry5: :angry4:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Grubby wrote:Forgot to add a few things, on Sat I checked 134 , T17,T17 D16 vs Martyn! and against Walshie I think we hit 7 maxs in first 5 legs , (4/3) to him and 11 overall (6/5) to Mark.
Spaceman has a nice new key ring :DDDD:
Looking at the Qualifiers for Bolton there are some good players not going :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :angry5: :angry4:
I just hope the list on the PDC website is the FINALISED list, and they dont sneak in a certain someone...
Big Jock Knew
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Grubby wrote: Spaceman has a nice new key ring :DDDD:

Just don't tell anyone how I got it ;)
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

they should call you space hopper the way you were bouncing about on Saturday night :D
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

jointer wrote:they should call you space hopper the way you were bouncing about on Saturday night :D

Don't know what your're talking about jointer ;) was nice to meet you mate.
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

spaceman70 wrote:
jointer wrote:they should call you space hopper the way you were bouncing about on Saturday night :D

Don't know what your're talking about jointer ;) was nice to meet you mate.
haha ;)
nice to meet you as well pal
ozzieb
Pub Champion

Post by ozzieb »

Head up Grubby, first result i looked for both days. Heart breaker for you i'm sure but by the sounds of it your confidence is rising and your game is some where near you would want it to be. Next year it is then mate, we'll still support you. We're no glory hunters!