Pro Tour Card - Will it be introduced?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
armchairfan
County Player

Re: Pro Tour Card - Will it be introduced?

Post by armchairfan »

Dicie wrote: And how do they get there hands on a tour card if they dont win the masters or get to semi of lakeside???? Do they risk everything to join the PDPA, to play a 1 comp to see if they can obtain one at the start of the yr???? £500 to join PDPA, for 1 night comp where u might come up against someone on fire.
You won't have to join the PDC to play in the qualifying school.

If you win a card or want to play in the Friday night qualifiers then you'll have to join.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

armchairfan wrote:
Dicie wrote: And how do they get there hands on a tour card if they dont win the masters or get to semi of lakeside???? Do they risk everything to join the PDPA, to play a 1 comp to see if they can obtain one at the start of the yr???? £500 to join PDPA, for 1 night comp where u might come up against someone on fire.

If you win a card or want to play in the Friday night qualifiers then you'll have to join.

Really??? Tell me more.. Will this tour card event be open to everyone???
armchairfan
County Player

Post by armchairfan »

Dicie wrote:
armchairfan wrote:

Really??? Tell me more.. Will this tour card event be open to everyone???
I'm sure it will be open to anyone. Doesn't make any sense otherwise.

In golf you don't have turn professional to play the Qualifying School. Only if you win your card. And we all know how Barry Hearn keeps referring to golf as his model.
DamianInDublin
The Ton Club

Post by DamianInDublin »

It's a very interesting debate as to how successful the Pro Card system will turn out to be. I think there is justification for looking to golf for inspiration - the European Tour alone consists of over 40 tournaments per year with prize money of over £1,000,000 each, which is phenomenal. Even it's 2nd tier, the European Challenge Tour, has 24 tournaments each year with a minimum prizefund of £120,000 each. Contrast the popularity of the Challenge Tour with that of professional darts (there is no contest in my opinion) and it's clear that the potential for increasing PDC prize-money is huge. The keys to this occurring are :

1. Televising the weekly ProTour events
2. Holding the events in 500-1500 capacity venues with a main stage and side stages (a la UK Open) - there are so many cities across the UK, Ireland, Europe and beyond who have enough residents eager to attend these events.
3. Increased sponsorship - this would be facilitated by the televising of events, with betting firms particularly interested.

I think that a vibrant "2nd Division" will need to be in place too to ensure that more than the 96 Pro-Card holders are able to make a decent living from the sport.

All the above will be very hard to introduce on a Big Bang basis but it looks as if the PDC feels that the Pro Card system should be implemented next year, and the development and expansion of the tour will follow in the years ahead.
Check out my One Day At A Time blog on http://ildamiano.blogspot.com
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

DamianInDublin wrote:It's a very interesting debate as to how successful the Pro Card system will turn out to be. I think there is justification for looking to golf for inspiration - the European Tour alone consists of over 40 tournaments per year with prize money of over £1,000,000 each, which is phenomenal. Even it's 2nd tier, the European Challengue Tour, has 24 tournament each year with a minimum prizefund of £120,000 each. Contrast the popularity of the Challenge Tour with that of professional darts (there is no contest in my opinion) and it's clear that the potential for increasing PDC prize-money is huge. The keys to this occurring are :

1. Televising the weekly ProTour events
2. Holding the events in 500-1500 capacity venues with a main stage and side stages (a la UK Open) - there are so many cities across the UK, Ireland, Europe and beyond who have enough residents eager to attend these events.
3. Increased sponsorship - this would be facilitated by the televising of events, with betting firms particularly interested.

I think that a vibrant "2nd Division" will need to be in place too to ensure that more than the 96 Pro-Card holders are able to make a decent living from the sport.

All the above will be very hard to introduce on a Big Bang basis but it looks as if the PDC feels that the Pro Card should be implemented, and the development and expansion of the tour will follow in the years ahead.
Thats the only way a tour card can actually work,so there is a basis for promotion/relegation each yr....
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

2 years on.
ericbristowlegend
Pub Champion

Post by ericbristowlegend »

Dicie wrote:2 years on.
what do you make of it dicie? im a bit so so great players have come through the q-school but you see more estiablished stars dropping by the wayside and having to wait a whole year to try again(except the uk opens) or some players maybe slipping down the rankings because they can't attend all tournaments and miss out on a card say for the next year but then again that not all the tour cards fault i suppose
thoughts?
How goes it?
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Evolution!

I was a pro tour card sceptic, but it has clearly worked and some tweeking of the system will see the best 128 compete week in week out.

The biggest step forward for me is the youth tour though, fantastic opportunity. :)

Long may things grow and ideas accepted and given a chance to see if they work.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

ericbristowlegend wrote:
what do you make of it dicie? im a bit so so great players have come through the q-school but you see more estiablished stars dropping by the wayside and having to wait a whole year to try again(except the uk opens) or some players maybe slipping down the rankings because they can't attend all tournaments and miss out on a card say for the next year but then again that not all the tour cards fault i suppose
thoughts?

I think it has worked m8. PDC know what they want, the want the elite of the game, and players when playing in that sort of set up will keep getting better, bigger prizefunds, more sponsors and so on. PDC provides it all for its members.

Its not easy, but then no professional sport is, BH and TC do a great job in providing for there players, that if good enough you can reap massive rewards and play a game you love and make a living from it.

only thing i would do is keep the open draw system that they had in the UK open quals m8, i thought that was a super idea.

Any aspiring player must look towards the PDC if he wants to make a living from the game.

I would not mind seeing a secondary tour (something like the youth tour) smaller entry fees, (say £50 entry) same format, and say 2k for the winner. But you never know with the pdc what they have planned, the youth tour has been a huge success and sitting having a coke/7 up with John seagrave and ryan maher with there storys from the youth events is super, these are the future of irish darts and they are away mixing it with the worlds best.

get yourself back playing again lad and get back on the road.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Dicie wrote:
ericbristowlegend wrote:
thoughts?

I think it has worked m8. PDC know what they want, the want the elite of the game, and players when playing in that sort of set up will keep getting better, bigger prizefunds, more sponsors and so on. PDC provides it all for its members.

Its not easy, but then no professional sport is, BH and TC do a great job in providing for there players, that if good enough you can reap massive rewards and play a game you love and make a living from it.

only thing i would do is keep the open draw system that they had in the UK open quals m8, i thought that was a super idea.

Any aspiring player must look towards the PDC if he wants to make a living from the game.

I would not mind seeing a secondary tour (something like the youth tour) smaller entry fees, (say £50 entry) same format, and say 2k for the winner. But you never know with the pdc what they have planned, the youth tour has been a huge success and sitting having a coke/7 up with John seagrave and ryan maher with there storys from the youth events is super, these are the future of irish darts and they are away mixing it with the worlds best.

Lots going on this weekend including the youth, good for the game. :)
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

spaceman70 wrote:
Dicie wrote:
ericbristowlegend wrote:
thoughts?

Yep, cant wait. Ryan and John went over tonight, and Paddy went over today. I do be more nervous waiting for there results than i have ever been playing. . .
Sat with John for about 2 hours at a comp in dublin 2 weeks ago, and listening to him talk about the likes of arron Monk, michael smith and them, and him on the next board was great..
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Dicie wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:
Dicie wrote:
ericbristowlegend wrote:
thoughts?

Yep, cant wait. Ryan and John went over tonight, and Paddy went over today. I do be more nervous waiting for there results than i have ever been playing. . .
Sat with John for about 2 hours at a comp in dublin 2 weeks ago, and listening to him talk about the likes of arron Monk, michael smith and them, and him on the next board was great..
Oh to be 16 again!!! I was a better player and a c-ock-y cunt back then. If this was about then I'd be loving it. :)
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

spaceman70 wrote:
Dicie wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:
Dicie wrote:
ericbristowlegend wrote: what do you make of it dicie? im a bit so so great players have come through the q-school but you see more estiablished stars dropping by the wayside and having to wait a whole year to try again(except the uk opens) or some players maybe slipping down the rankings because they can't attend all tournaments and miss out on a card say for the next year but then again that not all the tour cards fault i suppose
thoughts?

Oh to be 16 again!!! I was a better player and a c-ock-y spanner back then. If this was about then I'd be loving it. :)

Yeah they dont know there born this lot. :DDD: :DDD: Ah in fairness its great for them. Most youth events are best of 3 and playing for fekk all. Least when they get on the plane, they go and feel professional. These lads also act it aswell....

WOuld have loved it back when i was young, cheap and single. . . . :darts :DDDC:
BehindTheOche
Feather Flights

Post by BehindTheOche »

Dicie, good point about a 2nd tour - I spoke with Rod Harrington in Derby last month and it is a realistic possibility that the PDC will introduce an under card tour with a lower tiered prize money/entry and variation of venues for those not gaining the main cards...all in all it's a no lose situation almost for players wanting to switch codes from BDO
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

BehindTheOche wrote:Dicie, good point about a 2nd tour - I spoke with Rod Harrington in Derby last month and it is a realistic possibility that the PDC will introduce an under card tour with a lower tiered prize money/entry and variation of venues for those not gaining the main cards...all in all it's a no lose situation almost for players wanting to switch codes from BDO

There is a massive opening in the market for it imo. With the pdc behind it i dont think it would fail to take off
ericbristowlegend
Pub Champion

Post by ericbristowlegend »

yea trying to get back up and at it season over for my local pub team so they want to sign me up for next season a kev wants to see me playing again so i say i will all going well
How goes it?
BehindTheOche
Feather Flights

Post by BehindTheOche »

Your right Dicie, BH does have mainly a midas touch when he touches sporting competitions! Rod actually went public with a few thoughts and plans - all can be read in my interview with him in the latest Inside Darts Magazine, don't post often in forums but like to maintain credibility with substance/fact hence mentioning the "B'Tour :)
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

BehindTheOche wrote:Dicie, good point about a 2nd tour - I spoke with Rod Harrington in Derby last month and it is a realistic possibility that the PDC will introduce an under card tour with a lower tiered prize money/entry and variation of venues for those not gaining the main cards...all in all it's a no lose situation almost for players wanting to switch codes from BDO
Would be an excellent idea. Then there would be no need for the BDO.
I cant see it happening though... Uncle Barry has gone on record saying hes not interested.

To be honest, Im personally still a bit sceptical about the tour card it still has very little meaning or value
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Dannyboy wrote:
Would be an excellent idea. Then there would be no need for the BDO.
I cant see it happening though... Uncle Barry has gone on record saying hes not interested.

To be honest, Im personally still a bit sceptical about the tour card it still has very little meaning or value
So Barry makes a 2nd tier tour so obviously no need for the BDO :DDD: isn't dannyworld a simple place to live in :D
Wyn
Pub Champion

Post by Wyn »

Some folk seem to be of the strange opinion that the only purpose of the BDO is to feed the PDC with players :DDD: :DDD: