spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Pro Tour Card - Will it be introduced?

Post by spaceman70 »

maybe, maybe not...................
Booji Boy
International

Re: Pro Tour Card - Will it be introduced?

Post by Booji Boy »

Dave have you heard something that suggests it may not be introduced.
Ladders
Brass Darts

Post by Ladders »

I heard it was discussed in a meeting last Saturday and will be introduced....
Ross
The Ton Club

Post by Ross »

I do and don't see the point of it.

But I don't see why it needs to change now, Why change a winning formula ?
Lurgan
Superleague Player

Post by Lurgan »

In theroy it sounded like a good idea, and of course it was put together in healthier economic times. It does seem to be a baby of BHs as he is trying the same with snooker and he seems obsessed by golf.

However what it always lacked was clarity and detail and it seemed to me that much of the detail was being made up as we went along. I actually dont think that there is a big pile wrong with the current system. I never bought the notion that simply because you had one of the 96 tour cards it would guarantee sponsorship or indeed a half decent living from the game as BH indicated was part of the motivation.
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

Lurgan wrote:In theroy it sounded like a good idea, and of course it was put together in healthier economic times. It does seem to be a baby of BHs as he is trying the same with snooker and he seems obsessed by golf.

However what it always lacked was clarity and detail and it seemed to me that much of the detail was being made up as we went along. I actually dont think that there is a big pile wrong with the current system. I never bought the notion that simply because you had one of the 96 tour cards it would guarantee sponsorship or indeed a half decent living from the game as BH indicated was part of the motivation.
apparently they will pay 500 quid for the last 64 !
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

jointer wrote:
Lurgan wrote:In theroy it sounded like a good idea, and of course it was put together in healthier economic times. It does seem to be a baby of BHs as he is trying the same with snooker and he seems obsessed by golf.

I read £350 from someone else, but that could have been a load of bull.

Either way, so is the Tour Card - a load of bull. Shouldnt be introduced.
Big Jock Knew
bluemoon
The Ton Club

Post by bluemoon »

jointer wrote:

But will the entry fee increase?????
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

I understand the logic but I really cannot see why the hurry to do this, ok if we had 250+ people every saturday and sunday then it makes sense but we don't, there are usually a miximum of 3 prelim games at each event (mostly on a sunday) which is no great hardship. I think they should just hang fire and see how it develops for another year or so and not rush into introducing this just yet
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Steveo
Steady Sixties

Post by Steveo »

nikkiboy - no hardship unless you are one of the markers that have volunteered and standing up for hours :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all enjoy it really and wouldn't volunteer if it was a problem, glad that we have not volunteered for Salzburg though :lol: :lol:
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Steveo wrote:nikkiboy - no hardship unless you are one of the markers that have volunteered and standing up for hours :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all enjoy it really and wouldn't volunteer if it was a problem, glad that we have not volunteered for Salzburg though :lol: :lol:
I think I had 4 prelim games in swindon on the sunday :angry5: :angry5: but even after that the whole thing was done by about 7pm
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
Steveo wrote:nikkiboy - no hardship unless you are one of the markers that have volunteered and standing up for hours :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I had 4 prelim games in swindon on the sunday :angry5: :angry5: but even after that the whole thing was done by about 7pm
Yup, 41 prelims on the Swindon Sunday. 7 boards would have had TWO prelims and 9 boards would have had THREE.

That has been the highest entry on the UK Pro Tour this year (169 players).

Add another 80 players to that tomorrow, starting half an hour later, and the venue split over three rooms and a stage - 10pm is my estimate for the finish tomorrow (local time)
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Bradders wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

Yup, 41 prelims on the Swindon Sunday. 7 boards would have had TWO prelims and 9 boards would have had THREE.

That has been the highest entry on the UK Pro Tour this year (169 players).

Add another 80 players to that tomorrow, starting half an hour later, and the venue split over three rooms and a stage - 10pm is my estimate for the finish tomorrow (local time)
So it does ask the question why introduce the tour card when only 3 extra games have been the maximum, if it aint broke - don't fix it
Harry Hardcastle
Feather Flights

Post by Harry Hardcastle »

I can see a lot of good in the idea.

If you know every board is going to have 8 players, the whole day becomes a lot more predictable for timings and things surely?

It might even be possible to have the whole thing done and dusted by half five each day. That could be useful for players travelling and also all the organisers, security and other people involved in the day.

If you were at work would you rather

a) knock off at 9 p.m, probably for no extra reward.
b) knock off at 5.30 p.m. leaving you enough time to chance a shave and a shower before getting a bite to eat on the Saturday evening, or possibly making your way home on a Sunday.

The only people unaffected by a cap on the entries are the ones losing early on. I'm pretty sure the guys who play around 20 of these weekend events a year who do it month after month would appreciate the more predictable days.
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

bluemoon wrote:
jointer wrote:

But will the entry fee increase?????
no
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

I don't think it will because the PDC has exhausted the numbers of players who are willing to pay the privilidge of playing the PDC.

Players who have exhausted current sponsorship deals are replaced by new kids on the block.

The others surley have been knocked back by Muswell Hill "qualifying school" strategy that hasn't worked.

So pray tell me where does the next crop of talent come from ??????

ww
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

apparently they will pay 500 quid for the last 64 ![/quote]

But will the entry fee increase?????[/quote]
no[/quote]

Dont be so sure
JFT97
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Welsh Wayne wrote:I don't think it will because the PDC has exhausted the numbers of players who are willing to pay the privilidge of playing the PDC.

Players who have exhausted current sponsorship deals are replaced by new kids on the block.

The others surley have been knocked back by Muswell Hill "qualifying school" strategy that hasn't worked.

ww

Very well put.
M H
Steady Sixties

Post by M H »

Welsh Wayne wrote:I don't think it will because the PDC has exhausted the numbers of players who are willing to pay the privilidge of playing the PDC.

ww
The BDO
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

M H wrote:

ww
The BDO

And how do they get there hands on a tour card if they dont win the masters or get to semi of lakeside???? Do they risk everything to join the PDPA, to play a 1 comp to see if they can obtain one at the start of the yr???? £500 to join PDPA, for 1 night comp where u might come up against someone on fire.