Tour card and free money to ranked players

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
devosteve
International

Re: Tour card and free money to ranked players

Post by devosteve »

I believe they will make no changes until after this coming Q school. If there is a big influx of BDO and youth players they may keep it as it is. The PDC are often criticised for changing tournaments, qualifying rules etc but this does show thery are flexible. There will be a review next year and if it is not working BH and Rod are 'big' enough to say: tried that but it didn't work. So Q school is the key: will it have massive numbers compared to last year or will they remain the same.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Its a bit of a false event this season, because a lot of tour card holders are from abroad that never play either more than a few European or American events. Or a couple of weekends when they can afford to come over.

Hopefully we'll see 150ish players. Hopefully the BDO players don't bottle it either.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Always a good idea to give a new initiative a couple of years , 1st year of new idea not always successful lol
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

WCDPA wrote:Always a good idea to give a new initiative a couple of years , 1st year of new idea not always successful lol

Like for instance, say................................................................... Ladies darts??
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Dannyboy wrote:Its a bit of a false event this season, because a lot of tour card holders are from abroad that never play either more than a few European or American events. Or a couple of weekends when they can afford to come over.

Hopefully we'll see 150ish players. Hopefully the BDO players don't bottle it either.
Why would they bottle it ? They will make the decision based on what they consider is best for them.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

I like the tour card idea. It just needs some tweeks to make it work properly. The idea of a pre competition qualifying comp should be explored. £50 entry with £50 to pay if you qualify. That could be restrictive in terms of hotel bookings etc, so might not work.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Dicie wrote:
WCDPA wrote:Always a good idea to give a new initiative a couple of years , 1st year of new idea not always successful lol

Like for instance, say................................................................... Ladies darts??
Or Czech open Dicie! Gone from 60 entries 1st event now to 500+ and is on Czech tv this Thursday nite .
Events need building. Tour card was brought in to stop players who were getting beat 6/0 or 6/1 every single week , and create a tour full of talented darters the creme de la creme.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

WCDPA wrote:
Dicie wrote:

Or Czech open Dicie! Gone from 60 entries 1st event now to 500+ and is on Czech tv this Thursday nite .
Events need building. Tour card was brought in to stop players who were getting beat 6/0 or 6/1 every single week , and create a tour full of talented darters the creme de la creme.

Jamie caven, brendan dolan and a few others lost 6-0 last weekend, i suggest they lose there tour card rights!!!

The tour card is there for a few reasons, 1 of which is to stop people just rocking up now and then and beating people like steve maish!!! :DDDC:
Tommy Thompson
Pub Champion

Post by Tommy Thompson »

I was looking at OOM yesterday, as I do everytime Wesley plays to see where he is, I noticed that Wesley had played in 92 events and barney had played in 24, no matter what system you have you need the players to support the system, whilst I am no fan of the Tour Card, because it doesn't achieve anything really, especially when a top player can achieve his ranking playing only 25% of the system, surely irrespective of where you are you cannot allow players to basically just play TV events, if this continues then the whole system will eventually fall down. I would say that all players should have to play a minimum of 51% of the possible events to get a tour card, that would still only require 48 events in two years 24 per year. Not too much to ask for a professional circuit.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

mod500 wrote:I like the tour card idea. It just needs some tweeks to make it work properly. The idea of a pre competition qualifying comp should be explored. £50 entry with £50 to pay if you qualify. That could be restrictive in terms of hotel bookings etc, so might not work.
Yep agreed, except tour card holders pay the full £100 and go straight into L128. All others pay £25 and enter into the qualifiers. It may persuade more part time BDO players to get the associate membership. No extra money, because they have to play more darts and no guaranteed prize money.

I also mentioned earlier in this thread about automatic qualification for tour card holders into the UK Open finals and all associate members enter a pub qualifier.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Tommy Thompson wrote:I was looking at OOM yesterday, as I do everytime Wesley plays to see where he is, I noticed that Wesley had played in 92 events and barney had played in 24, no matter what system you have you need the players to support the system, whilst I am no fan of the Tour Card, because it doesn't achieve anything really, especially when a top player can achieve his ranking playing only 25% of the system, surely irrespective of where you are you cannot allow players to basically just play TV events, if this continues then the whole system will eventually fall down. I would say that all players should have to play a minimum of 51% of the possible events to get a tour card, that would still only require 48 events in two years 24 per year. Not too much to ask for a professional circuit.
Here lies the failure of the OoM system!
Having said that, Barney has earnt his right to be there on past performance, although it doesn't mean he still deserves to be there.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Rod wanted a tour of excellence Dicie not players who were there because they could afford it ( his words)
If Jamie or Brendan got beat 6/0 EVERY weekend don't think they would need telling it was time to go .
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Welcome back Pauly.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

WCDPA wrote:Rod wanted a tour of excellence Dicie not players who were there because they could afford it ( his words)
If Jamie or Brendan got beat 6/0 EVERY weekend don't think they would need telling it was time to go .

Do you think the pdc can afford to turn around to a player and say, eh sorry pal, u aint up to scratch.

firstly, who de f u ck is gonna see how bad he is, they play in leisure centres, with 2 guests per player, if he is that bad he aint gonna make the tv stages now is he? NO

Can any company be run in the way the pdc is.

max 12,800 income on a saturday
Outgoings of possibly 20 odd staff, hall hire, equipment needs to be transported around, plys on top of that 36k prizemoney. Surely this bubble cant go on without bursting?
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

mod500 wrote:Welcome back Pauly.
Haven't been gone mod,been reading only was tempted to get involved over the weekend! But seemed messy enough .
Apart from that 9% lager and typing don't go together.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Dicie wrote:
WCDPA wrote:Rod wanted a tour of excellence Dicie not players who were there because they could afford it ( his words)

Do you think the pdc can afford to turn around to a player and say, eh sorry pal, u aint up to scratch.

firstly, who de blob is gonna see how bad he is, they play in leisure centres, with 2 guests per player, if he is that bad he aint gonna make the tv stages now is he? NO

Outgoings of possibly 20 odd staff, hall hire, equipment needs to be transported around, plys on top of that 36k prizemoney. Surely this bubble cant go on without bursting?
The ProTour isn't designed to be self-financing.
This bubble made profits of around £1/2m last year if I remember rightly.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Dannyboy wrote:
Dicie wrote:

firstly, who de blob is gonna see how bad he is, they play in leisure centres, with 2 guests per player, if he is that bad he aint gonna make the tv stages now is he? NO

My point exactly

Thanks premier league.

Next debate!!!
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

WCDPA wrote:
mod500 wrote:Welcome back Pauly.
Haven't been gone mod,been reading only was tempted to get involved over the weekend! But seemed messy enough .
Apart from that 9% lager and typing don't go together.

I know you havent old man and so does my PM inbox :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Dicie wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:
Dicie wrote:

My point exactly
Thanks premier league.
Next debate!!!
What debate was there? The bubble wasn't bursting was it like you tried to insinuate.
Everyone knows that the Premier League finances the ProTour; what's wrong with that? Both the Premier League and World Championship took in £1m in ticket sales. Its all money coming in and spent in different areas.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Dicie wrote:

Think rods vision includes tv or streaming which would then bring in sponsorship for the pc.
The key is PL if that loses popularity there would be a problem, but ticket sales are very healthy at moment so the gravy train rolls on.
As stated before the PDC is a business and a very successful one at that, I sincerely hope that continues for the future of darts and hopefully my side of darts improves and offer players an alternative ! Afterall 1000's into 128 doesn't go .