PLAYER SPONSORSHIP - 2012

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
GtotheF
International

PLAYER SPONSORSHIP - 2012

Post by GtotheF »

With the recent success of both Justin Pipe and James Richardson I wanted to write a short piece about this great initiative for those who are maybe new to the forum and are not sure what the player sponsorship is all about.

The beauty of the scheme is that it is very accessible, relatively inexpensive (anyone can join and the minimum investment is only £20) and has genuinely made a difference to two up and coming players.

Both James and Justin effectively started their PDC careers ‘bottom of the pile’ as it were, and anyone who has attended a ProTour event will tell you it is a real ‘school of hard knocks’ where newcomers are often likely to draw big names in the early rounds, so the challenge of winning enough games to make any sort of money is tough, particularly with the £100 a day entry fees that a ProTour weekend incurs.

Clearly both guys have a huge amount of ability but imagine if a sponsor comes along and hands you a cheque which equates to between 25 & 35 entry fees?

On top of that the new sponsor is actually a group of 50/60 fans who have funded this out of their own pockets, with the sponsored player being decided through a voting process, so not only does the player now have enough cash to pay for a lot of entry fees he also knows he has the backing of a group of fans who have decided independently that he is a guy they believe in and want to support!

I know from having spoken to both guys, it does make a difference and certainly provided both players with a little boost of confidence. Ultimately, any success they have will have been down to them, they are both hungry and ambitious players, but the margin between success and failure in top level darts is so fine, that even the smallest piece of encouragement can help a player find that little bit extra.

I’ve occasionally had to contend with players unhappy about comments made on our forum, however as a member of this great scheme I’ve always been able to look any player in the eye and say that we bring something tangible to this great game of ours and I know our scheme is well respected within darts.

A massive thanks to all who have contributed thus far and I hope this great initiative continues for many years to come.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Re: PLAYER SPONSORSHIP

Post by Hungry Coyote »

Good post Adrian. For those of us with limited knowlege of how the pro tour works, could you explain a little about how the players get a card and what is expected of them? Is a player accepted purely on the money he can stump up? Are players made to jump through hoops to get their card. Are they assessed on ability? Do they sign contracts etc? Are they free to do exhibitions? Can they lose their tour card? How does the OOM tie in with it all? Excuse my ignorance but I'm just interested in how a player can get onto the tour and make a living. And what is 'Q' school?
Merry Christmas to all the forum readers by the way!
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

The sponsorship pot for 2012 is now open.

Because of James' run in the World Championship we are opening this pot with at least £485, which is great news. :D

The pot will close at the end of June 2012, and then voting will begin.

If you wish to buy a share or multiple shares (15 shares maximum) you can do so by sending cash to my paypal account david.ahmet@btinternet.com. I will confirm receipt of and money via email and PM on here.

I will keep this thread as a sticky until voting begins. :D
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Count me in. Will ship you a few quid Dave.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Dicie wrote:Count me in. Will ship you a few quid Dave.
Excellent but you have 6 months so no need for any rush. :)
Wyn
Pub Champion

Post by Wyn »

As a new member,I have to say I think the player sponsorship scheme is a cracking idea.
You can count me in. I shall sort out payment in the next few days.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Wyn wrote:As a new member,I have to say I think the player sponsorship scheme is a cracking idea.
You can count me in. I shall sort out payment in the next few days.
Thank you. Once you do your status here will be changed and you will go all purple. :)
Wyn
Pub Champion

Post by Wyn »

Actually,I'll do it now or I'll forget :roll:
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Wyn wrote:Actually,I'll do it now or I'll forget :roll:
Cheers. :)
Ginge
International

PLAYER SPONSORSHIP

Post by Ginge »

Why is it £485? Is the PDPA levy still 3%?
Big Jock Knew
ub40fan
Pub Champion

Post by ub40fan »

Hungry Coyote wrote:Good post Adrian. For those of us with limited knowlege of how the pro tour works, could you explain a little about how the players get a card and what is expected of them? Is a player accepted purely on the money he can stump up? Are players made to jump through hoops to get their card. Are they assessed on ability? Do they sign contracts etc? Are they free to do exhibitions? Can they lose their tour card? How does the OOM tie in with it all? Excuse my ignorance but I'm just interested in how a player can get onto the tour and make a living. And what is 'Q' school?
Merry Christmas to all the forum readers by the way!
firstly the player will attend Q SCHOOL, if he fails to gain his tour card its not the end of the world,as a associate member he can play in the 8 uk open qualifiers and any pro tour event in europe,you will then sign a contract to abide by the pdpa and dra rules,anyone can do exhibitions,they win a 2 year tour card,they will lose it after 2 years if they remain outside the cut off (top64 for 2012),they can lose it if they bring the game into disrepute by fighting,drunkedness,etc,the OOM is exactly what it says,the money won goes on to your rankings,you have a pdc ranking and a players championship ranking,there is also a uk open ranking to get you to bolton most years £400 to £600 will get you there,the more you win the better your ranking for bolton,hope this helps ;)
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

The Ginger Ninja wrote:Why is it £485? Is the PDPA levy still 3%?
Why are you concerned ginge? Am I to be expecting a share purchase?
Ginge
International

PLAYER SPONSORSHIP

Post by Ginge »

spaceman70 wrote:
I may chuck in at some point aye.
Big Jock Knew
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

The Ginger Ninja wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:
I may chuck in at some point aye.
James has to repay 5% of TV winnings during the year less the 3% PDPA levy. He is currently on £10,000.

If he reaches any TV tournament last 16 or better the repayment to the pot is 7.5% less the 3% levy.

Let's hope he wins his next match. :D
Ginge
International

PLAYER SPONSORSHIP

Post by Ginge »

Cracking stuff. I almost wet myself when he beat Barney, to be honest though it was who he was playing :D

Should be an intreguing match between him and Kim, toss a coin kind of match.

Anyway Dave, a happy Xmas to you and your brood.
Big Jock Knew
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

The Ginger Ninja wrote:Cracking stuff. I almost wet myself when he beat Barney, to be honest though it was who he was playing :D

Yeah their averages suggest that it will be tight but it's not all about averages. ;) I'm really looking forward to going it's a great session of darts.

And happy Christmas to you and your loved ones mate. :)
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

spaceman70 wrote:
The Ginger Ninja wrote:Cracking stuff. I almost wet myself when he beat Barney, to be honest though it was who he was playing :D

Yeah their averages suggest that it will be tight but it's not all about averages. ;) I'm really looking forward to going it's a great session of darts.

Another jolly boys outing eh!!!! Would love to go, but going to lakeside for the weds ans poss thursdays play so cant be doing the dog on it completely.

As for Kim and James match, i predict a nervy affair, whats at stake is massive and they seem 2 nice lads.

Only highlight for Kim winning would be more Dana on tv!!! :sheepshag2
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Dicie wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

Another jolly boys outing eh!!!! Would love to go, but going to lakeside for the weds ans poss thursdays play so cant be doing the dog on it completely.

As for Kim and James match, i predict a nervy affair, whats at stake is massive and they seem 2 nice lads.

I haven't been to Lakeside since Fordy hasn't been there but always loved it.

I have a 100% record for supporting our sponsored player at the PDC Worlds the last 2 years so can't stop now. :)

Had a chat with Kim and Dana last time I was there and they are very nice people. :D
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

spaceman70 wrote:
Dicie wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

I haven't been to Lakeside since Fordy hasn't been there but always loved it.

I have a 100% record for supporting our sponsored player at the PDC Worlds the last 2 years so can't stop now. :)

Had a chat with Kim and Dana last time I was there and they are very nice people. :D

I was there for Andys 5-4 over fitton. Amazing twisty game. I recall king playing super against lamb chop that night, and ritchie hit everything finishing wise, then in the last set cud not buy a double. Didnt travel last year, but have been a few times. You know yourself its a bit of a dump, but it has all the ghosts and memories of darts, and is a super athmosphere in the hall when its full. But the torture of fitzs pre match gags to look forward to :MAD:
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Feeling the love in this thread.

Hopefully this will be a great sponsor scheme like our previous ones.