5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a major.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Post Reply
User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 8633
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a major.

Post by devosteve » Mon May 14, 2012 11:22 am

A lot of people question if the PL should be seen as a major: some do, others see it as a 'glorified exbo' - this term used by some to make out the PL is not a 'real' event. Here's my reasons why it should be considered a major, hope i've got my facts right (in a sense the 1st reason is enough in itself but it makes a weak argument i think - points 2-4 are where i am really coming from):

1. The PDC have declared it to be a major. isn't it their right to decide which PDC events come under this name?

2. It has the LARGEST attendence figures for any event including the WC. Forget the 'quality' of fans, the packed out venues with record crowds must play a part in how we value an event?

3. It has one of the HIGHEST payouts in prize money (2nd after the worlds?). The amount of payout does indicate how an event is ranked, that's why both WC's have the highest rewards.

4. It has the MOST evenings on TV (if not 1st then just beaten by Ally Pally?). 15 sessions live on the tele must count for something? great viewing figures as well.

5. Lastly: it is the most DIFFICULT event to qualify for. Everyone talks about the wild cards, how unfair it can be, rewarding popular players over the best players but this aspect can obscure the fact that only 8 players can get into it. In fact to qualify outright you have to be in the top 4! What other event do you have to be a top 4 player to get into it? Everyone says how hard to qualify for Blackpool but isn't that the top 32. The wildcards distract us from the fact that the PL is the toughest one to qualify for: this alone must make it worthy to be called a major? Painter and Hamilton have qualified for many events but have just got the Pl: ask them how difficult it has been to get into the PL, compared to other events?

Love it, loathe it or just ignore it but i think the PL is definitely a major within PDC darts. Cheers.
Jocko Homo.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 59934
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Ginge » Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 am

Two reason why it shouldn't:

1 - its an invitational event
2 - It isnt ranked.

User avatar
Stubby
County Player
Posts: 4125
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:39 pm
Location: Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Stubby » Mon May 14, 2012 11:28 am

So what about the US Masters in Golf?

Major or not? After all it is an Invitational event??

Personally I don't think the PL should be a major but it does need the respect because of the coverage and money involved.

User avatar
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step
Posts: 13482
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:13 am
Location: Peoples Republic of Cork
Contact:

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Justin Credible » Mon May 14, 2012 11:29 am

Ginge wrote:Two reason why it shouldn't:

1 - its an invitational event
2 - It isnt ranked.


The money dont show on the order of merit and rightfully so, and what type of major would it be where a player like taylor who dominates for 14 weeks could lose because of one single game.
Its an glorified exbo, a bloody damn good one with large crowd, great money etc....but an exbo nonetheless
Image
Image

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 8633
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by devosteve » Mon May 14, 2012 11:31 am

Ginge: invitational for 4 of the players. Top 4 ranking only, gets you in. The most difficult one to get into automatically wouldn't you say?
Ranking point: can see the thought behind this, and is a strong case for those who hold your view, but they can't give it ranking points because of the wild cards.
Jocko Homo.

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 59934
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Ginge » Mon May 14, 2012 11:32 am

devosteve wrote:Ginge: invitational for 4 of the players. Top 4 ranking only, gets you in. The most difficult one to get into automatically wouldn't you say?
Ranking point: can see the thought behind this, and is a strong case for those who hold your view, but they can't give it ranking points because of the wild cards.


The BDO gave the Zuiderduin ranking points for years :D

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 8633
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by devosteve » Mon May 14, 2012 11:35 am

Justin Credible wrote:
Ginge wrote:Two reason why it shouldn't:

1 - its an invitational event
2 - It isnt ranked.


The money dont show on the order of merit and rightfully so, and what type of major would it be where a player like taylor who dominates for 14 weeks could lose because of one single game.
Its an glorified exbo, a bloody damn good one with large crowd, great money etc....but an exbo nonetheless


glorified exbo? Don't see any trick shots, finishing on double 10 twice when going for 40 checkout etc. There is no way i believe that painter and hamilton (and the other 6) feel they have just played in 15 weeks of 'glorified exhibition'. I hear players relax at Exbo's but on the last night of the Pl the nerves were running high!
Jocko Homo.

Zeyes
International
Posts: 9503
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Zeyes » Mon May 14, 2012 11:40 am

Can we just settle on calling the PL a "major" as in "major title", but not a "Major"? Hopefully that's going to satisfy both sides of this absurd holy war.

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 8633
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by devosteve » Mon May 14, 2012 11:43 am

It's not a war anymore Zeyes because my '5 points' have 'won' the day for the Pl being a "Major". The battle is over, the PL has now got it's rightfull place on this forum!!
Jocko Homo.

GtotheF
International
Posts: 9600
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by GtotheF » Mon May 14, 2012 11:47 am

99% of PDC darters would give their right arms to play the Premier League.

Makes it pretty major in my eyes - looks pretty good on anyones CV.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Image

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 59934
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Ginge » Mon May 14, 2012 11:49 am

Adrian1969 wrote:99% of PDC darters would give their right arms to play the Premier League.

Makes it pretty major in my eyes - looks pretty good on anyones CV.


100% of golfers would give their right arm to win TPC at Sawgrass - doesnt make it a "major" though.

User avatar
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step
Posts: 13482
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:13 am
Location: Peoples Republic of Cork
Contact:

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Justin Credible » Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 am

devosteve wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:
Ginge wrote:Two reason why it shouldn't:

1 - its an invitational event
2 - It isnt ranked.


The money dont show on the order of merit and rightfully so, and what type of major would it be where a player like taylor who dominates for 14 weeks could lose because of one single game.
Its an glorified exbo, a bloody damn good one with large crowd, great money etc....but an exbo nonetheless


glorified exbo? Don't see any trick shots, finishing on double 10 twice when going for 40 checkout etc. There is no way i believe that painter and hamilton (and the other 6) feel they have just played in 15 weeks of 'glorified exhibition'. I hear players relax at Exbo's but on the last night of the Pl the nerves were running high!



what type of major would exclude the number 5 player in the world in favor of a player lower in the rankings ? or settle for the #11 player over # 10.
Image
Image

User avatar
phil mitchell
The Ton Club
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Sunny Weston-super-Mare

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by phil mitchell » Mon May 14, 2012 11:59 am

Is the premier legue an grand exbo or a true contest.?
Can you call it a major or not ?
Dose it matter, because at the end of the day it is probably the biggest and best darts event on the planet. Its putting televised live darts into peoples living rooms and that can only be a good thing for the game. People are starting to drop the image of the fag smoking, beer swigging, fat blokes chucking darts. Do you think that Phil Taylor would have got into the sports personalty of the year top two if it wasn,t for the growing interest of darts helped by premier league.

call it a major if you want, call it Betty for all i care. Long may it run.
Image

ankers
Brass Darts
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by ankers » Mon May 14, 2012 12:06 pm

im not really borthered if its a major or not....i still think its and expo...but more in terms of what the top 6 or so in the pdc have to offer!

do we all like to watch darts on tv?! i think the answer would be yes so y argue over if its a major or not?!?!?!

GtotheF
International
Posts: 9600
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by GtotheF » Mon May 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Ginge wrote:
Adrian1969 wrote:99% of PDC darters would give their right arms to play the Premier League.

Makes it pretty major in my eyes - looks pretty good on anyones CV.


100% of golfers would give their right arm to win TPC at Sawgrass - doesnt make it a "major" though.


Ah yes, the TPC at Sawgrass, often called the 'Fifth Major'.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Image

User avatar
Ginge
International
Posts: 59934
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am
Location: The West Riding

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Ginge » Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Adrian1969 wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Adrian1969 wrote:99% of PDC darters would give their right arms to play the Premier League.

Makes it pretty major in my eyes - looks pretty good on anyones CV.


100% of golfers would give their right arm to win TPC at Sawgrass - doesnt make it a "major" though.


Ah yes, the TPC at Sawgrass, often called the 'Fifth Major'.


But at the same time isnt one.

GtotheF
International
Posts: 9600
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by GtotheF » Mon May 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Ginge wrote:
Adrian1969 wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Adrian1969 wrote:99% of PDC darters would give their right arms to play the Premier League.

Makes it pretty major in my eyes - looks pretty good on anyones CV.


100% of golfers would give their right arm to win TPC at Sawgrass - doesnt make it a "major" though.


Ah yes, the TPC at Sawgrass, often called the 'Fifth Major'.


But at the same time isnt one.


Why are you comparing sultanas with kiwi fruit anyway?
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Image

User avatar
devosteve
International
Posts: 8633
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by devosteve » Mon May 14, 2012 12:27 pm

ankers wrote:im not really borthered if its a major or not....i still think its and expo...but more in terms of what the top 6 or so in the pdc have to offer!

do we all like to watch darts on tv?! i think the answer would be yes so y argue over if its a major or not?!?!?!


Might not be that important to us but it is important to the players what is or isn't a major. See how Wade has made out he has won 7 major titles rather than 6 that the PDC say he has (or is it 8/7?). With most things connected to darts these issues are not vital but the forum would be a bit dull without these less interesting topics.

In fact now have reason 6: because the top PDC players see it as a 'Major' that they can add to their cv.
Jocko Homo.

ankers
Brass Darts
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by ankers » Mon May 14, 2012 12:29 pm

i can give you fair play on the above!!

User avatar
Rudy
County Player
Posts: 3535
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:42 am
Location: Zoetermeer, Holland

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Rudy » Mon May 14, 2012 12:56 pm

The PL could have been a real league with a major title win for the No. 1 after 14 weeks, were it not for these ridiculous play offs where No. 4 will probably again win the whole darn thing.

Post Reply

Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”