5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a major.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Ginge »

Rudy wrote:The PL could have been a real league with a major title win for the No. 1 after 14 weeks, were it not for these ridiculous play offs where No. 4 will probably again win the whole darn thing.
A bit like the playoffs in Holland where the 9th place side could get a Euro spot over the 7th place side. Bloody ridiculous.
Big Jock Knew
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Ginge wrote:A bit like the playoffs in Holland where the 9th place side could get a Euro spot over the 7th place side. Bloody ridiculous.
In Belgium the 14th-placed team can get a playoff against the 4th-placed team for the last Euro spot. ;)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Zeyes wrote:
Ginge wrote:A bit like the playoffs in Holland where the 9th place side could get a Euro spot over the 7th place side. Bloody ridiculous.
In Belgium the 14th-placed team can get a playoff against the 4th-placed team for the last Euro spot. ;)
Ridiculous!!!
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Justin Credible wrote:
Ginge wrote:Two reason why it shouldn't:

1 - its an invitational event
2 - It isnt ranked.
The money dont show on the order of merit and rightfully so, and what type of major would it be where a player like taylor who dominates for 14 weeks could lose because of one single game.
Its an glorified exbo, a bloody damn good one with large crowd, great money etc....but an exbo nonetheless
Certainly is Justin, an invitational exhibition how can this ever be classed as a major? People who think it should be, need to seek psychiatric help.

There's some weird folk around.

Regards Paddy
Last edited by Paddy McGinty on Mon May 14, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

1 Reason it shouldn't
Jelle Klaasen getting his invite the other year
ridiculous
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Ecky Thump wrote:1 Reason it shouldn't
ridiculous
Amen brother!!!!! :headbang: :headbang:
Big Jock Knew
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

Ginge wrote:
ridiculous
Fuck me, we actually agree on something?
Isn't that a portent of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

Ecky Thump wrote:
Ginge wrote:
ridiculous
ferret me, we actually agree on something?

two words why it aint a major...

WAYNE MARDLE :D
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

Justin Credible wrote:
Ecky Thump wrote:
Ginge wrote:
ridiculous
ferret me, we actually agree on something?

two words why it aint a major...

WAYNE MARDLE :D
:DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD:
fandarts
County Player

Post by fandarts »

it's a money making racket, not a major
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

for it to be major they would have to make top 16 players best of 10 legs 8 games a night over 15 weeks then count it on the order of merit i would keep the playoffs but be top 8
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

For the PDC it's a major financial success -and necessity-, for most darts fans like myself it's a major must watch event on Thursday because of at least half of the field undeniably being the best players in the world (maybe bar Adams and/or Waites) and it's a major PR phenomenon for darts. I think if the unfair play offs (unlike Dutch soccer, Ginge, 'cos the 1st spot isn't in jeopardy there) were deleted and it would be top 6 plus 2 tourney champs, it would qualify entirely for a major tournament/competition.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

devosteve wrote:glorified exbo? Don't see any trick shots, finishing on double 10 twice when going for 40 checkout etc.
You have obviously never been to a Phil Taylor exhibition.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:

2 - It isnt ranked.
The money dont show on the order of merit and rightfully so, and what type of major would it be where a player like taylor who dominates for 14 weeks could lose because of one single game.
Its an glorified exbo, a bloody damn good one with large crowd, great money etc....but an exbo nonetheless
Certainly is Justin, an invitational exhibition how can this ever be classed as a major? People who think it should be, need to seek psychiatric help.

Regards Paddy
Sorry i have not replied here patrick but i have just been given day release by the doctor. It is not just an invitational event (50% of places are by merit alone): people seem to miss a key point. You have to be in the top 4 in the rankings to qualify for this. It is the hardest event to qualify outright for. There is logic in my reasons for considering this is a major. Roll on Thursday: some of us will be watching a major event in the PDC system; others will be watching a 'glorified exbo'.

Let's see what mindset the players are in. Oh, i,ve just realised they see it as a major: hope the doctors let them out before Thursday. :)
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

devosteve wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:

2 - It isnt ranked.

Regards Paddy
Sorry i have not replied here patrick but i have just been given day release by the doctor. It is not just an invitational event (50% of places are by merit alone): people seem to miss a key point. You have to be in the top 4 in the rankings to qualify for this. It is the hardest event to qualify outright for. There is logic in my reasons for considering this is a major. Roll on Thursday: some of us will be watching a major event in the PDC system; others will be watching a 'glorified exbo'.

Let's see what mindset the players are in. Oh, i,ve just realised they see it as a major: hope the doctors let them out before Thursday. :)
If it was purely the top 8 players and this was set in stone as qualification criteria then maybe it could be classed as a major, but some of the wildcard picks over the years..........
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Excitment building up for the 1st Major of the PDC calender (or 2nd if the WC counts as this year: i always see it as the last one of the 2011 season). Big crowd focusing on the darts (please no table songs), top prize money, immense importance, players in no way having an exbo mindset, the best PL ever(?), players under pressure and top sporting action from the PDC and Sky Sports.

All togetther now: Oi Oi Oi. Deep down you know you love the chant.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

devosteve wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:

2 - It isnt ranked.

Regards Paddy

Half picked on merit the others by popularity.............................just like a beauty contest...................keep taking the pills..........oh by the way I love your new video, love the costume.

[youtube][/youtube]
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

not a major in my opinion , it is what it is a fund raising event for the pro tour which would fold without it but it's good tv .
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Great video. Great band. Buy the cd 'Hot Potatoes the greatest hits'. A good introduction to the band. £5.00 from HMV.

Who ever thinks this is a major needs to seek "psychiatric help" you say. Well the 4 players tonight consider it to be a Major and they are closer to the action that any of us.

But, even better from Paddy: Hamilton and Painter chosen because of popularity!!! Not because of winning/reaching finals! The receptionist has asked me to pass a message to you: "The Doctor will see you now".
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

devosteve wrote:Great video. Great band. Buy the cd 'Hot Potatoes the greatest hits'. A good introduction to the band. £5.00 from HMV.

Who ever thinks this is a major needs to seek "psychiatric help" you say. Well the 4 players tonight consider it to be a Major and they are closer to the action that any of us.

But, even better from Paddy: Hamilton and Painter chosen because of popularity!!! Not because of winning/reaching finals! The receptionist has asked me to pass a message to you: "The Doctor will see you now".
You know exactly what I mean, how can you have a major made up from such a small initial field.

Regards Paddy