5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a major.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Skewball
International

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Skewball »

Rout wrote:
Skewball wrote:When something....

I am easily sold by the publicity machine
did I say I thought it was.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Lurgan wrote:Its a chav night out, plain and simple
I agree, I thought this would have been right up your street Lurgy :D

:Irish2 :Irish2
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Justin Credible wrote:with avalon on this................

not a major., nor is the GSoD a major. in the conventional sense.

A true major wouldhave to have its winnings on the OoM also like a proper major...ie the worlds., and not be selective as to what is to be counted and whats to be dismissed.

Avalon makes another valid point in that due to the money involved it almost guarentees the top players membership again.
Atrue major would not leave out the number 5 player in the world nor leave out the number 10 player in order for a player lower to get in.
Its a glorified exbo, yes its great money, great crowds, but when you have guys like jelle and mardle get wildcards and top players omitted it will never be a major in the true sense of its meaning
Agree with this, why is it so important for some people that it be classed as a major when it clearly isn't?

regards Paddy
maddoglewis
Brass Darts

Post by maddoglewis »

It should be classed as a major for the following reason:

1. Unlike the golf and tennis majors
the existing PDC majors do not have a long history or being majors: - they are a creation/determination of Sky TV and the PDC, therefore the decision is theirs and they have decided it is a major.

2. We live in modern times and what was a major darts tournament now is not the same as it was 20 years ago.

3. The PL is the biggest darts tournament in the world in terms of TV viewing figures, crowds and sponsorship.
It's important to be nice, but it's more nice to be important
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Thought I would 'bump' this for JC's sake. he still holds the mistaken view that the Pl is not a major. Remember the 5 reasons:

1. The PDC have declared it to be a major. isn't it their right to decide which PDC events come under this name?

2. It has the LARGEST attendence figures for any event including the WC. Forget the 'quality' of fans, the packed out venues with record crowds must play a part in how we value an event?

3. It has one of the HIGHEST payouts in prize money (2nd after the worlds?). The amount of payout does indicate how an event is ranked, that's why both WC's have the highest rewards.

4. It has the 2nd MOST evenings on TV (just beaten by Ally Pally?). 15 (is it now 16) sessions live on the tele must count for something? great viewing figures as well.

5. Lastly: it is the most DIFFICULT event to qualify for.

Most folks miss out on point 5, they get distracted by the wildcards. You have to get into the top 4 to qualify: no other event has such a high criteria for automayic qualification. This is why Wade has missed out.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Jesus, how can a competition of hand picked personalities ever be described as a major? The majority of players are picked solely because of their popularity with the crowd.
Any competition where a person's personality is more important than their talent is a complete sham in my opinion, I understand why they do it but only an imbecile would ever refer to it as a major.
You can't even describe it as a exhibition neither as these are at least entertaining, with it's farcical format I can safety say that this is definitely one of my least favourite concoctions in the PDC calendar, absolutely meaningless.

paDDDs
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Jesus, how can a competition of hand picked personalities ever be described as a major? The majority of players are picked solely because of their popularity with the crowd.
Any competition where a person's personality is more important than their talent is a complete sham in my opinion, I understand why they do it but only an imbecile would ever refer to it as a major.
You can't even describe it as a exhibition neither as these are at least entertaining, with it's farcical format I can safety say that this is definitely one of my least favourite concoctions in the PDC calendar, absolutely meaningless.

paDDDs
What would you class the Zuiderduin and the Proposed BDO WDT as?
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Adrian1969 wrote:99% of PDC darters would give their right arms to play the Premier League.

Makes it pretty major in my eyes - looks pretty good on anyones CV.
I wonder if wadey would give his right arm to play in the PL? mind you ge might being a lefty :)
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Col wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Jesus, how can a competition of hand picked personalities ever be described as a major? The majority of players are picked solely because of their popularity with the crowd.

paDDDs
The zuiderduin is not 60% wildcards ! But shouldn't recieve points IMO.
The WDT is not invitational the top 16 are seeded into last 32 all other players ( excl pdpa members) can enter the event.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

WCDPA wrote:
Col wrote:

paDDDs
The WDT is not invitational the top 16 are seeded into last 32 all other players ( excl pdpa members) can enter the event.
will it have wildcards?
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Col wrote:

paDDDs
Yes I have no time for the Zuidie jolly, another pathetic competition, I don't care what anyone else thinks but Majors should be about the best people in their field competing together.

paDDs :bat:
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Col wrote:

paDDDs
Yes I have no time for the Zuidie jolly, another pathetic competition, I don't care what anyone else thinks but Majors should be about the best people in their field competing together.

And the BDO WDT one?
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

i think the players would call it a major....it is certainly a major title to hold and the difference in money from winning it down to 10th certainly means its no exhibition..
Keith Deller said that a lot of players are getting too worked up at the Worlds about getting into the Premier League instead of purely concentrating on the Worlds themselves...so that shows how important the players think it is
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Col wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Col wrote:

paDDDs
will it have wildcards?
Has one or 2 but it is open to everybody eligible to enter !
Duterprat
Superleague Player

Post by Duterprat »

IMO, a tournament that does not count towards the world rankings cannot be a major, simple as that.

The GSoD is also a fun thing to watch, but has not been a major yet for the same reason. (iirc they change it now/soon).
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Col wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Col wrote:

paDDDs

And the BDO WDT one?
The criteria seems OK to me, the top players are all there with the opportunity for all up and coming players to prove themselves, and possibly break through. Everyone is there on merit, not personality.

Padds :bat:
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

WCDPA wrote:
Col wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Col wrote:

paDDDs
will it have wildcards?
Has one or 2 but it is open to everybody eligible to enter !

Anything offering wildcards should not be awarding points on any sort of ranking list. Agreed?
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

trotter wrote:i think the players would call it a major....it is certainly a major title to hold and the difference in money from winning it down to 10th certainly means its no exhibition..
Keith Deller said that a lot of players are getting too worked up at the Worlds about getting into the Premier League instead of purely concentrating on the Worlds themselves...so that shows how important the players think it is
Yes financially it is very important to the players, but a large prize fund does not make it a major.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Col wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Col wrote:

paDDDs

And the BDO WDT one?
The criteria seems OK to me, the top players are all there with the opportunity for all up and coming players to prove themselves, and possibly break through. Everyone is there on merit, not personality.

Padds :bat:
Everyone is not there on merit. One or two players will be there at the discretion of the event organisers, which makes a mockery of it having points. By all means call it a major, but dont award it points.

Person spends whole year trying to qualify for lakeside and eventually finds out that the player that pips him to the spot done so as he gained points as a wildcard to the WDT. In what world is that fair?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Paddy: it's up to the PDC to decide what is or isn't a major. This is called a PDC major.

Good that we can disagree and debate (you make some good points, though you do ignore the 5th point i make about it being the toughest comp to actually qualify for) but to quote you; "but only an imbecile would ever refer to it as a major".

James Wade is an imbecile? Rod Harrington? Most of the PDC players? And most upsetting of all - are you saying i'm an imbecile?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.