5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a major.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
WCDPA
International

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by WCDPA »

avalon wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Adrian1969 wrote:99% of PDC darters would give their right arms to play the Premier League.

Makes it pretty major in my eyes - looks pretty good on anyones CV.
100% of golfers would give their right arm to win TPC at Sawgrass - doesnt make it a "major" though.

They wouldn`t win much after that though would they :D
Would the remaining 1% give their left arms??
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

There are several reasons why it shouldn`t be a major.

1. A player could qualify for the final 4 without actually winning a match, 14 draws this year would have got them into 3rd place. 13 draws and an 8 - 3 loss would also have done it.

2. 14 matches without winning, lose the semi final.... so 15 matches without winning and get 50 grand added to your OoM, if the rest of the year goes ok a player could find themselves in the PL every year and others missing out every year because of that 50K

3. The prize money showing in the OoM would pretty much keep them in every TV event throughout the year where they are also guaranteed prize money.

4. If you take the money for winning the PL, add to that the guaranteed prize money from all the other TV events and a player could win just 2 matches the whole year ( the semi final and final of the PL ) and virtually nothing else to keep getting in the PL through the OoM placing each year.

Not exactly fair on all the other players is it.
Image ImageImage Image
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

It's the reason on our side of the sport why world cup, Europe cup and Zuiderduin masters shouldnt get BDO points because a % of the field are invites and have an unfair advantage on other players.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Firstly: One key objection to this being classed as a Major is the invitational side. I know there are 4 wildcards (thus 50%) but looking at the principle of the objections would those objectors therefore believe that Wimbledon is not a Tennis major? No way would anyone declare that and 'win' the argument. But there are wildcards at Wimbledon!! In fact i believe a wild card entry won it a few years back (Croatian i think who beat henman in the semi-final?). So is wimbledon a glorified exbo? Not a chance but there are a few players who get into the event because they are English or popular like the previous winner. Case rested on that one i think. :)

Secondly: within the 1st 5 mins of last nights prog Dave Clarke declared here are 4 players seeking to win a Major title. Thanks dave, you must have been reading this thread! You are a good presenter mate.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

devosteve wrote:Firstly: One key objection to this being classed as a Major is the invitational side. I know there are 4 wildcards (thus 50%) but looking at the principle of the objections would those objectors therefore believe that Wimbledon is not a Tennis major? No way would anyone declare that and 'win' the argument. But there are wildcards at Wimbledon!! In fact i believe a wild card entry won it a few years back (Croatian i think who beat henman in the semi-final?). So is wimbledon a glorified exbo? Not a chance but there are a few players who get into the event because they are English or popular like the previous winner. Case rested on that one i think. :)

Secondly: within the 1st 5 mins of last nights prog Dave Clarke declared here are 4 players seeking to win a Major title. Thanks dave, you must have been reading this thread! You are a good presenter mate.
Wimbledon has about 8 wildcards in a field of 128, not 4 in a field of 8.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote:
devosteve wrote:Firstly: One key objection to this being classed as a Major is the invitational side. I know there are 4 wildcards (thus 50%) but looking at the principle of the objections would those objectors therefore believe that Wimbledon is not a Tennis major? No way would anyone declare that and 'win' the argument. But there are wildcards at Wimbledon!! In fact i believe a wild card entry won it a few years back (Croatian i think who beat henman in the semi-final?). So is wimbledon a glorified exbo? Not a chance but there are a few players who get into the event because they are English or popular like the previous winner. Case rested on that one i think. :)

Wimbledon has about 8 wildcards in a field of 128, not 4 in a field of 8.
Don't waste your time Ninge..........he's very Devolusioned
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

The only reason "the Croatian" got a wild card is through injury, he had slipped out the rankings , but he was a world class player who if didn't receive the wildcard would have played in the qualifiers event.
Were you not involved in the debate re allocation of points for world cups and Zuiderduin in the BDO system devo ? BDO points are our OOM .
50% of the field on wildcards is an awful lot ! PL is about putting bums on seats .
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

WCDPA wrote:The only reason "the Croatian" got a wild card is through injury, he had slipped out the rankings , but he was a world class player who if didn't receive the wildcard would have played in the qualifiers event.
Were you not involved in the debate re allocation of points for world cups and Zuiderduin in the BDO system devo ? BDO points are our OOM .
50% of the field on wildcards is an awful lot ! PL is about putting bums on seats .
And I thought it was because of his pineapple hair cut.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Simples :IIII: :IIII:

Never a Major and never will be .
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

But what happens here is that people objected to the PL being classed a major because of the wild cards. Now that has changed to the number of wild cards - though nobody made this point at 1st. So it's not the principle of having wild cards at all because most, if not all, would have to see Wimbledon being a tennis major. Interesting. A wild card wins Wimbledon buts that ok because there were only 8.

Agree about OOM in the BDO system. This is why the money at the PL doesn't count in the PDC, this being a good decision.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

If the PL line up was decided on rankings and other dart events I would class it as a major as the players have got in the line up from what they achieved on the ochre .
8 ladies get to lakeside it's considered a major as the 2 finalists ge an exemption first 3 in the rankings plus a combination of play offs and winmau masters champion , Zuiderduin has 2 from rankings mariflex winner , Dutch rankings event winner and 2 wildcards that shouldn't be classed as a major............... Don't think anyone who gets into the PL is too worried whether it's a major or not though ........ To busy counting their cash .
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

avalon wrote:There are several reasons why it shouldn`t be a major.

1. A player could qualify for the final 4 without actually winning a match, 14 draws this year would have got them into 3rd place. 13 draws and an 8 - 3 loss would also have done it.

2. 14 matches without winning, lose the semi final.... so 15 matches without winning and get 50 grand added to your OoM, if the rest of the year goes ok a player could find themselves in the PL every year and others missing out every year because of that 50K

3. The prize money showing in the OoM would pretty much keep them in every TV event throughout the year where they are also guaranteed prize money.

4. If you take the money for winning the PL, add to that the guaranteed prize money from all the other TV events and a player could win just 2 matches the whole year ( the semi final and final of the PL ) and virtually nothing else to keep getting in the PL through the OoM placing each year.

Four pages into the thread, and you're the very first person who equates "calling the PL a 'major'" with "must become part of the OOM". Weird approach to the discussion...
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

Zeyes wrote:
avalon wrote:There are several reasons why it shouldn`t be a major.

Four pages into the thread, and you're the very first person who equates "calling the PL a 'major'" with "must become part of the OOM". Weird approach to the discussion...

Not really, just dont see how all the other events that are majors count towards the OoM and this one wouldn`t. If that were the case then we would start having different types of majors.... wouldn`t it be weird to have events that aren`t majors counting and one major that doesn`t?
Image ImageImage Image
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

avalon wrote:Not really, just dont see how all the other events that are majors count towards the OoM and this one wouldn`t. If that were the case then we would start having different types of majors.... wouldn`t it be weird to have events that aren`t majors counting and one major that doesn`t?
You don't count the GSOD as a major?
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

Zeyes wrote:
avalon wrote:Not really, just dont see how all the other events that are majors count towards the OoM and this one wouldn`t. If that were the case then we would start having different types of majors.... wouldn`t it be weird to have events that aren`t majors counting and one major that doesn`t?
You don't count the GSOD as a major?

I do see it as a darts Major but not a PDC Major event. The PL is being discussed as a PDC major, one that no one outside the pdc can win.
Image ImageImage Image
Skewball
International

5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a major.

Post by Skewball »

When something....

Looks like a major - the biggest crowds and on telly
tastes like a major - second biggest prize money
sounds like a major - the players all see it as a major
is called a major - by the organisers.

So...... Fellow forum geeks .....

It usually is!
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

with avalon on this................

not a major., nor is the GSoD a major. in the conventional sense.

A true major wouldhave to have its winnings on the OoM also like a proper major...ie the worlds., and not be selective as to what is to be counted and whats to be dismissed.

Avalon makes another valid point in that due to the money involved it almost guarentees the top players membership again.
Atrue major would not leave out the number 5 player in the world nor leave out the number 10 player in order for a player lower to get in.
Its a glorified exbo, yes its great money, great crowds, but when you have guys like jelle and mardle get wildcards and top players omitted it will never be a major in the true sense of its meaning
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

Skewball wrote:When something....

Looks like a major - the biggest crowds and on telly
tastes like a major - second biggest prize money
sounds like a major - the players all see it as a major
is called a major - by the organisers.

It usually is!
and if they invite Klaasen when he's done nothing in the PDC then it isn't.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Skewball wrote:When something....

Looks like a major - It doesn't look anything like a major. It looks like a mighty big exbo with huge crowds. Not a big ranking knockout as you would expect a major to look.
tastes like a major - It doesn't taste like a major. It doesn't taste like anything because its a game of darts and you don't put that in your mouth.
sounds like a major - It doesn't sound like a major. Its called the premier league. And just like its snooker equivalent, (that Ronnie O sullivan said is a very important and big comp), its definitely not a major.
is called a major - The organisers also called the last Euro tour event the "Austrian Open". I am not eligible to enter, so its not an open. You are obviously a marketers dream.

I am easily sold by the publicity machine
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Lurgan
Superleague Player

Post by Lurgan »

Its a chav night out, plain and simple