Barney's view on the Silent Tour.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Zeyes
International

Re: Barney's view on the Silent Tour.

Post by Zeyes »

Stubby wrote:on the other hand the good floor players will argue that it's ok as it is.
Barney would probably have a different opinion if he got the Nicholson crowd treatment or the "Scottish players in English venues" treatment instead of being a fan favourite, too.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Stubby wrote:on the other hand the good floor players will argue that it's ok as it is.
Until they get on stage and freeze
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
paulmids76
Steady Sixties

Post by paulmids76 »

i totally agree with barney some players use emotions sometimes to gee themselves up all the way from amatuer darts to phil taylor at times and having to be quiet and not do this just isnt right, when i used manage a couple of players in pdc few years ago its only natural aswell to support your player and that means not shouting out but bit of encouragement
noddy69
Superleague Player

Post by noddy69 »

mod500 wrote:Keep the tour as it is, but have a separate stage room with access for the paying public.
I think thats a good idea. But it still does not address Barneys problem as the room is seperate so the sterile atmosphere still exists
in the playing area.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Lee Taylor wrote:
mod500 wrote:Keep the tour as it is, but have a separate stage room with access for the paying public.

See my post above :D
There not gonna see much from another room.......... I think the pro-tour set up is excellent, always the best respect given to the players creating a very high standard of darts.

paDDy
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

The tour games are quite noisy down to the board finals where most have left and some semis are played in complete silence.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
NIGHTMARE
Brass Darts

Post by NIGHTMARE »

Ive been to one at Barnsley and it was brilliant i would pay £30, a day all day long to be able to watch,
and i'd travel the country watching too.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

nikkiboy wrote:The tour games are quite noisy down to the board finals where most have left and some semis are played in complete silence.
Well by that time Barny would be long gone. ;)
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

NIGHTMARE wrote:Ive been to one at Barnsley and it was brilliant i would pay £30, a day all day long to be able to watch,
and i'd travel the country watching too.
Can you mark? :D
The Owl
Steady Sixties

Post by The Owl »

Didnt get to here Raymonds comments as i was practicing/playing but i have found the atmosphere on the tour to be ideal, fairly quiet but not exactly sterile and did he say about not being able to talk to your friends on the tables?
I dont think it is that bad, most people are having their conversations all the time and can be heard in the background when playing but its not off putting IMO.

On the other hand you do get used to the quieter atmosphere and it is a big shock when your playing in say the UK Open and you have ten drunk blokes screaming 'IT'S HAMMERTIME' behind you when your playing Andy, but thats Darts and thats why we love it, the fans pay the wages without them there would be no tour so I say leave it as it is and if you good enough you'll deal with it all.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Proud Sonsored Player of TSOD
Follow me on Twitter @richieHowson180 and richiehowson.co.uk
Tim Kirby
The Ton Club

Post by Tim Kirby »

The security were a lot more relaxed at the UK Open this year, last year security made you keep quiet when watching on the outside boards. We were threatened with being thrown out a couple of times. This year you could cheer all you want and security didn't mind it seemed.

Pro tour events are as people have said fine until the latter staged then every noise can be heard which may be off putting if there is any noise like a cough. Not sure how they could be changed for the better without a separate public viewing room with a stage.
ericbristowlegend
Pub Champion

Post by ericbristowlegend »

personally i think they should keep it the same because having talked to some pro's about this they need an atomosphere without the distractions that if the tour events were open may bring as like people asking for autographs or people wanting general chats with the players but that can add to disractions which some players can't really afford to have because the pro tour is there bread and butter so to speak. but then on the other hands you dont want players to "distant" from the fans so there were i believe social networking sites and exhibitions can come in. because i believe these tournaments are just too important to have too much of the public there like i admit i was a pro tour virgin once and when i got along to my first one i was all excited and rushing about the place looking for den priestley and other players i written to at the time(i know its sounds sad but it originally helped me get my foot in the door to were i am now :P ) but there you go i suppose that my two cents for what its worth so basically keep the pro tour to what it is now although i would keep the new euro events they seem alright
How goes it?
bigblademan1889
Steady Sixties

Post by bigblademan1889 »

I do love the pro tours and I think the fact that Sky give it a huge level of importance by talking about "in form" players etc. The problem is the general darts fan knows nothing of these events. Yes they're quiet and very professional and probably should stay like this but I've often thought the PDC could capitalise on these events for the benefit of the players and fans.

My solution

Have 3 designated pro tours that are open to the public in European kind of way. One in the south, midlands and north. Have the usual pro tour event with selected games chosen for a side room with a stage and an audience. Play the semi and final on the stage and stick with usual pro tour rules away from the stage.

If this becomes a success you could open it out to more events but I don't think the PDC can abandon the professional event it's worked so hard to create. A split woul help generate revenue, expose players to a stage environment and open the pro tour doors to the public.
ankers
Brass Darts

Post by ankers »

to be fair...the only pro tour event Ive ever been to was the one in Gibraltar a couple of years back......both days had a couple of hundred people through the door....both James wade and rob Thornton both said they enjoyed the buzz that the crowd created.

the was a couple of practice boards upstairs and a few of the players were happy to practice along side the public as well as the normal blocked off boards that were downstairs and behind the curtains so to speak!

i think it would be good to allow a certain amount of people through the doors but maybe limit the numbers and make the tickets "pre order" and not on the door.....that way your able to control the crowds....also put a flyer when tickets are sent out stating that players could be distracted if too much noise and try to keep it to a good level....it would be hard to police but it could work!!